Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thabeastmaster is offline Associate Member

rock bottom and back on the forum!...questions/diet journal/log all one thread

well, after 3 years off the forum, and away from any type of physical activity, ThaBeastmaster's back.....what time its been....im not a fan of mutltiple threads so this will start out with some of my questions, and turn into my log/journal....keepin it simple, we got enough stuff all over these forums....

So after gaining the most fat ive ever had, walking around at 25%, i recently went through a brutal breakup, lost my family almost overnight, RIGHT BEFORE THE DAMN HOLIDAYS!! and fell into a VERY dark hole for several months.....AND lost almost 30lbs in just over 2 months....yup....MOST of it muscle of course.....

well im starting to pick up the pieces, and have fully committed to getting my life and body back.....

QUESTION.......im well aware my metabolism was brought to a screeching halt.....there were times where i would go several days without eating......now that my appetite is back, and im ready to eat, is there anything "special" or any considerations i have to take with regards to getting my metabolism back on track without gaining a chunk of fat in my initial return to "eating"?

This is my second week of being "back on track".......my work out consists of a "growth activation" 4 week, full body 3x a week program designed to get my muscles, tendons, ligs back into the swing of things......ive gotten seriously weak, with a great loss of strength and mobility in my layoff..and im not risking any injury in my return that could slow my long term progress (zero ego issues here).....for my off days, ill be at the boxing gym putting in some basic cardio intervals and doing my core training......

diet macros i threw together loosely are as follows (thought id try a on/off carb loading plan BUT IF YOU GUYS SAY TOSS IT....ITS GONE!!!)

LIFT DAY 2200 CAL, 180 pro, 340 carb, 35 fat
    off/cardio day 1900 cal 230 pro, 80 carb, 56 fat

1600 cals on lift day are taken AFTER my 3pm workout

(AND YES, IM EATING VERRRRRRRRRY CLEAN!!!!!! with NO processed/simple sugars)

protein sources (whey, caesin, and egg protein supps, real eggs, cube steaks, chicken breast, salmon, tuna)

carb sources (ww pasta, brown rice, jesus breads,oats, black beans, brocc, spinach, apples, bananas)

fat sources (natty pb, crushed flax, olive oil shooters)

i keep my diet very simple and repetitive, it works for me cuz im lazy in the kitchen and have no issue eating the same shit all the time......

right now im 33yo, 165lbs 5'11''....i need to get a current BF caliper reading, as its hard to tell where im at....with 27lbs lost in such a short period of time, i need to get an update...ive lost several inches off the waist, but still got about 5-7lbs of flab jigglin around, but my tshirts have gotten way baggier as i lost almost ALL of my upper back and trap muscles...... ill get some pix up tonite when i get home from work.....

This is a big step to get back on track.....you all helped me make amazing gains years ago when i was younger, now its time to reclaim life and health.....i have a soft goal of being cut up for my 34th bday in June....thats 19 weeks away....should be plenty of time to be shredded up and possibly a "little" bigger........

IM BACK!!!!!
    Last edited by thabeastmaster; 01-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Well bro welcome back... Congrats!

To get a better idea where your at i think you should post up full diet and workout regime...
    Then i feel everyone could assist you better!

yesterday was a workout day......so my diet was....

6am
    (shake)
    1cup simplysmart fat free milk
    1 scoop egg, 1 scoop whey/caesin blend protein
    1/2 cup oats
    2tbpn natty pb
    1tbsp crushed flax seeds

10am
    1 cup cooked ww pasta
    3.5 oz tuna

130pm
    1 cup cooked ww pasta
    3.5 oz tuna

workout 3pm
    post workout
    myoplex rtd
    1 large banana

dinner 6pm
    6oz lean cube steak
    1.5 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups steamed brocc

9pm shake
    1 scoop egg, 1 scoop whey/caesin blend protein powder
    1tbsp flax

daily macros

cal 2212
    fat 44
    carb 236
    protein 232

im having a tough time with this carb loading crap i was going to try, too much eating for me at once in such a short period of time,....so im eager to have yall slam it and make some more "balanced" suggestions

as far as workout....like i mentioned the first 4 weeks are just a very basic full body workout that i repeat 3x a week...this is to acclimate my body to the weights again safely because of the seriously weakened state im in.....

its super simple, i use very controllable weights, with OCD anal form.......(i have herniated disks and a myriad of other lovely things to ensure i leave my ego at the door of the gym)

Latpulldown 4 sets
    bent row 4 sets
    incline DB press 4 sets
    shrug 4 sets
    bent lateral raises 4 sets
    db curls 4 sets
    bench dips 4 sets

i do core and bodyweight leg stuff on the alternating days

now...AFTER these 4 weeks......i'll be ready to get a bit more intense in the gym and start back on a 4-5 day split......
    Last edited by thabeastmaster; 01-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

IMO you need a better designed diet plan...

Something you can stick to day in day out! varying the foods if you like but sticking to the caloric intake.

At 165lbs @ 25% id recommend starting here:
    Cals - 1900
    Protein - 235
    Carbs - 145
    fat - 42

Thats a 50/30/20 split.

If you can put a diet together great if not let us know!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    The diet looks not so bad...

I like the idea of a full body workout for 4 weeks... Thats a good way of breaking yourself back into things... It also trains the mind muscle connect more (since your doing it 3 x per week)...

For now I would not worry about getting the macros bang on.. I would stick where you are for these 4 weeks and see how it goes... When you wanna get back into it 100% we can get the diet and training dialed in...

As for metabolic deceleration... That is pretty much BS IMO... Once you start eating and training again it will soon return to normal

Good luck

Stay sharp

@ KJ...im an avid Fitday user and can def throw together the foods......i just needed some guidance with the macros so many different things i read get me confused sometimes....i was going to try that carb loading thing simply based on the concept i could lose the fat and maybe gain some muscle at the same time...as opposed to "cutting" or "bulking"....but im in such a beginner state right now, i should be able to get good results rather quickly simply by getting back in the gym and letting muscle memory take over in about 6-8 weeks........i agree with you, that flip flop back and forth of the macros from day to day, just doesnt feel right and for me is a bit too difficult to manage.........im much more inclined to work with what you just suggested, and have a nice, steady, day in/day out set of macros to work from.........it will be interesting to see what the variety of input i get will be.........thanks!!

@ baseline....
    thanks! i CANT WAIT to be back on 100%......just after one week back doing my pre-school routine has me frothing at the mouth for the good ol days when i used to LIVE in the gym........luckily im older and wiser now, and wont be rushing it...but the 4 week countdown has begun!! lol
    Last edited by thabeastmaster; 01-18-2012 at 11:45 AM.

its up to you but just IMO it would be easier to cut or bulk...

As base stated stick to what you have and see how it goes. Whatever you decide we'll all be here to help out!

sounds like a good "cross that bridge when you come to it" type of deal.......once my first 4 weeks are over with...then its time to get nitty gritty, and really press for specifics.....like i said, my bday is june 9th and a bunch of friends are throwing a huge beach/boat party for me....this year is a big deal coming off of some ruff times, so i'll have 16 weeks to figure out cut, bulk, and what to do......

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    welcome back beast

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    yesterday was a workout day......so my diet was....

6am
    (shake)
    1cup simplysmart fat free milk
    1 scoop egg, 1 scoop whey/caesin blend protein
    1/2 cup oats
    2tbpn natty pb
    1tbsp crushed flax seeds

10am
    1 cup cooked ww pasta
    3.5 oz tuna

130pm
    1 cup cooked ww pasta
    3.5 oz tuna

workout 3pm
    post workout
    myoplex rtd
    1 large banana

dinner 6pm
    6oz lean cube steak
    1.5 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups steamed brocc

9pm shake
    1 scoop egg, 1 scoop whey/caesin blend protein powder
    1tbsp flax

daily macros

cal 2212
    fat 44
    carb 236
    protein 232

im having a tough time with this carb loading crap i was going to try, too much eating for me at once in such a short period of time,....so im eager to have yall slam it and make some more "balanced" suggestions

as far as workout....like i mentioned the first 4 weeks are just a very basic full body workout that i repeat 3x a week...this is to acclimate my body to the weights again safely because of the seriously weakened state im in.....

its super simple, i use very controllable weights, with OCD anal form.......(i have herniated disks and a myriad of other lovely things to ensure i leave my ego at the door of the gym)

Latpulldown 4 sets
    bent row 4 sets
    incline DB press 4 sets
    shrug 4 sets
    bent lateral raises 4 sets
    db curls 4 sets
    bench dips 4 sets

i do core and bodyweight leg stuff on the alternating days

now...AFTER these 4 weeks......i'll be ready to get a bit more intense in the gym and start back on a 4-5 day split......
    I like your calorie and macros split right here. If you stick with this while you are on your 4 week total body re-boot, you'll be pleased. As far as the appetite, I recommend staying hydrated, so make sure you are consuming amount of water every day, for your stats that will be about 90 oz of water per day. This will help your metabolism as well. Glad to have you back, ready to see you get it all back.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    The diet looks not so bad...

I like the idea of a full body workout for 4 weeks... Thats a good way of breaking yourself back into things... It also trains the mind muscle connect more (since your doing it 3 x per week)...

For now I would not worry about getting the macros bang on.. I would stick where you are for these 4 weeks and see how it goes... When you wanna get back into it 100% we can get the diet and training dialed in...

As for metabolic deceleration... That is pretty much BS IMO... Once you start eating and training again it will soon return to normal

Good luck

Stay sharp
    Agree with this. After I see the pics and you decide your prefered approach (cut/bulk/etc..) I'd like a chance to develop a workout specifically for you.

BrownGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I like your calorie and macros split right here. If you stick with this while you are on your 4 week total body re-boot, you'll be pleased. As far as the appetite, I recommend staying hydrated, so make sure you are consuming amount of water every day, for your stats that will be about 90 oz of water per day. This will help your metabolism as well. Glad to have you back, ready to see you get it all back.

Agree with this. After I see the pics and you decide your prefered approach (cut/bulk/etc..) I'd like a chance to develop a workout specifically for you.

That's an awesome idea! You'd be in great hands with TBody....

^^ This is a good opportunity...

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Dammm Tbody your a bit keen, im sure I saw you offering to write a program in another thread as well..... Business slowing down around by you LOL

OP, good luck, just remember to stick at it

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Dammm Tbody your a bit keen, im sure I saw you offering to write a program in another thread as well..... Business slowing down around by you LOL

OP, good luck, just remember to stick at it
    I guess you could look at it like that. My current employment affords me the opportunity to be really flexible, while spending more time in front of the computer. I am always sharper about my personal training when I keep things on my plate. Since there isn't a transformation challange at the moment it helps to help those I can. Plus I kinda am the only "trainer" that hangs out full-time in the diet section, a much more dedicated bunch I believe, but don't want people over here picking up the diet side and not maximizing the lifting part. Anyway, I've got enough experience to be able to help almost anyone in any situation, what kind of person would I be if I didn't take the extra effort to help people take advantage of my knowledge and experience? I'd sure want someone to tell me if there was a safer and better way to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish in a shorter period of time.

Not to mention how rewarding it is to hear people provide the testimony of how they are getting great results from their programs and diets and to know that I was a part of all that. Are you ever gonna stop by my thread?

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    ^^ practice makes perfect!

And WELCOME BACK BEAST!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

here's the painful reality.........from where i was, to where i went, to where i am......no pix of when i finished my Tbol cycle back in 2006.....probably better off cuz i was lookin mighty nice....id probably just cry if i saw those pix now...lol......GOOD news is when i committ, im all about it...and right now ive had a life changing situation propel me into full obsession with my health and physique again......i wanna run gear again someday, but refuse to until i reach my age/genetic potential natty first......only place to go from here is UP!!!!

thanks all for the input, i'll hold you all to it when my warm-up is done!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	119635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	119636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	119637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	119638
    Last edited by thabeastmaster; 01-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.

the text boxes cover it...but for me another major issue is the VAST amount of muscle lost from my back and traps....actually, the traps are GONE....the fat loss in todays pictures are 100% from not eating and stress.....thus the muscle loss.....my big decision in 4 weeks will be based on what i do for the following 16 weeks prior to my june birthday....

shoulders and legs are the lagging areas. We can rebuild you!

for sure......

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Just stopping by to say hello and congrats on getting back in the game!

thanks for the support! you dont realize how much value it has until you start receiving it.....i have ZERO support in my daily life from anybody really with regards to getting back in the gym, so this forum is really all i will have.....again, not a bad place to be at all! you guys are great

2 weeks left on the reboot.........my diet has been more on point than EVER before in my life.....i look at those old pix from 07' when i was pretty damn cut up and laugh because i really wasnt that disciplined with my diet (back in my heavy ganja days dieting was a nightmare).....ive never eaten this clean in my life.....joined a boxing gym down the street last week and did 3 sessions.....still doing my full body workout on m/w/f , then boxing tue/thur/and fri............went to one of my old trainers today to find out the damage from my hiatus and recent catabolic coma i was in........it was interesting...........165lbs @ 11.75% ....my arms and legs were VERY lean, but midsection was a mess........2 months of less than 300cal/day on average really did a number on me......lost a reTARDED amount of muscle mass........with a goal not looking like a skinny/fat old man by June 9th im starting to feel the pressure of decision making time with how im going to spend the next 16 weeks........bulk for 10, cut for 6? or just go for a 16 week slow and steady/healthy SUPER clean bulk with lots of boxing to just keep me in a real HEALTHY state of being.....im hoping to run a beginner test cycle next year........decisions decisions...only 2 more weeks till go time!!
    Last edited by thabeastmaster; 01-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.

ALRIGHTY!!!!!!!

down to 160.....11%
    READY TO GROW

now, i do wanna grow...thats obvious....i look horrible...lost ALLL my back neck and shoulders...rear delts are NON EXISTENT....gettin holocaust jokes at work....BUT...I do like the fact my titties are gone and i got 4 pack showing.....and the fact im entirely dedicated right now....id like to keep this as clean of a bulk as possible....

my birthday is june 9th, having a huge beach party....so my goal is to look as good as possible by then.....thats 16 weeks......im thinking 10 week bulk....6 week cut

WHATCHALL GOT FOR ME PEOPLE!!! IM READYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

here are the complications....i cant do squats or heavy overhead presses.....badly herniated lower lumbar disc with 2 bulges above it......this is non negotiable and i accept the limitations it presents...i believe there is a way to deal with it though...i realize i wont get huge quad growth, and i realize that heavy leg workouts help the entire body by releasing natural GH in the body...i get it....i can do lunges and body squats though.....and i have been able to utilize the incline bench for things such as rows and presses to take the pressure off my spine.....

for cardio, im boxing...i love it...im not changing that....

soooooooo.......lets do it......this has-been is ready to BE AGAIN!!!!!!!!

and i'll bump this thread a million times if i have to...lol

STEM, TBODY, GBRICE........HELPPPPPP!

THANKS BROTHERS!!!!!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Mate, apologies, this is the first time I really dipped into this thread.

Your BF is a little tough to guess due to your lack of muscle bt a disciplined 3 months should help you make a dramatic change. Questions -

1. How did you achieve the physique in the 1st pic above, diet wise I mean.

2. What kind of approach would work best for you, a steady diet with similar macro's every day or a carb cycle approach?

I haven't seen Tbody around in a coupla weeks so shoot him a PM, if no response post something in the workout forum!

the cut pix u referred to was from a very specific 8 week program i was on....macros were never kept track of but the diet was a super clean organic meal plan that started out with carbs 6 meals then dropped down to next to none for weeks 5-8....tons of cardio and moderate weights...that particular trainer doesnt follow macros or numbers rather works with palm sized portions and working with how you feel....it worked wonders, but i was 5 years younger then....i will say i cheated alot and still had a great result........

as far as what works best for me, steady is easy for me, ive never done carb cycling, but honestly, with the way my focus is right now i feel like i can mentally do ANYTHING if it will yield the best results....super focused right now and wanting to take full advantage of it......so if carb cycling will help me with a clean bulk then im down to try it.....

i just want to maximize as much muscle growth in these next 10 weeks as possible, i understand ill gain some fat, thats fine, but dirty bulking is for sloppy high schoolers......im looking at 6 weeks to cut at the end so id rather not make that any more difficult than it will already be........at 11% BF now, with very little muscle mass....i know once i start pounding the weights im going to get a quick jump from the muscle memory and pack on a lil bit which will help burn off some of the fat that will be wanting to come on.....

ideas?

(thanks stem!)

OK buddy, quick ?, what has your diet looked like for the last 2 weeks? Cals and macro's if you know them. Need to know whether to ease you back in or not.

very consistently1800-1900 cal.....50% pro 30% carb 20% fat....and VERY clean......protein powder, chicken breast, tuna, lean red meat/ whole wheat pasta, lentils, brown rice, oats/ natural PB, fish oil, crushed flax

Ok mate, how does this sound-

Meals 1-6 45g of protein each meal

Meals 1-5 55g carbs each meal

Meals 1-6 9g Fat each meal.

That'll be about 2700cals.

If you prefer 5 meals we just need to recalculate and up the macro's in each meal.

Your food choices look right so put something down using the above macro's and we'll tweak if necessary.

sounds good.......

*chanting*
    GROW GROW GROW GROW GROW GROW.....LOL

stem, question......whats the theory behind the differences between a 50/30/20 and 40/40/20?? ive been reading so much lately my brain is hurting on all these different approaches to the macros......

actually, anybody's thoughts on this would be nice....id like to hear from G as well because ive taken a look at his clean bulk thread a little bit and would value his input on this

The theories are that one size does not fit all, tbh. 40/40/20 is just a great place to start, bulking or cutting. It's careful monitoring and manipulation of cals and macro's that sort the men from the boys. Some will respond better to 50% carbs others to 32% even when bulking. My cutting regime is c/p/f - 33/48/18. That's only through careful analysis and experimenting with the macro's. My lean bulk split is 38/42/20.

Look at my cutting stats to those of, say, 405 who is approx 25/50/25 (if memory serves me right). Whereas GB favours, and follows, a carb cycling approach whether bulking or cutting, he just has more high carb days when bulking.

Personally I have no real experience of carb cycling though I will try it one day I'm sure. I like routine. I eat the same cals and macro's per day, I need to know where I am!

So, I'll I've done is start you with a daily of 40/40/20 but splitting the carbs that would have been in the last meal, into the other 5. After 2 weeks of monitoring your progress you can start looking at moving things about depending on the results you are getting.

out of curiosity, what activity level did u use for the tdee??

I used a multiplier of 1.55. But that is partly based on your recent caloric intake.

What's the day job?

day job is sedentary...lol

Ha ha, mate, I would say you are good to go with the stats listed.

Let's see the diet plan!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Sorry i'm late, but welcome back bro - stick with it and you'll get that body back, and then some! You've already done it, so you know it's possible. IMO it's much harder for people who have been out of shape their entire lives (I speak from experience) because the goal seems unattainable.

You got this!

GB!!! thanks for stoppin by.....ive been reading ur lean bulk thread.....got my mind circling around this carb cycling thing.....im going to run Stem's macros for 2-3 weeks then re-evaluate.......

ur right about the "comeback" opposed to the "never-was".....the biggest challenge is exchanging my 100lb dumbell presses for 50s! Luckily im in my mid thirties now so the ego is gone!! lol

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by thabeastmaster View Post
    GB!!! thanks for stoppin by.....ive been reading ur lean bulk thread.....got my mind circling around this carb cycling thing.....im going to run Stem's macros for 2-3 weeks then re-evaluate.......

ur right about the "comeback" opposed to the "never-was".....the biggest challenge is exchanging my 100lb dumbell presses for 50s! Luckily im in my mid thirties now so the ego is gone!! lol
    Yep! Who gives a fvck if you can press 100's... as long as you look like you can, lol!

SOOO PSYCHED!!! Just got my next 6 week program from my trainer today.....CANT WAIT FOR MONDAY!!!!!!!!! Going to run a 6 week, 3x week total body strength routine....its gonna be a beast of a workout though 5 sets per bodypart, hittin the whole body in one workout.......Ive done the same routine before though and it worked wonders.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....you already know what im thinking about doing after the 6 weeks of strength is over and i start a 12 week MASS routine.....heheheheehehehe....perhaps a nice modest 8 week run of enthanate? hmmmmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information