windhamjk is offline New Member

Newbie weight loss question

Hi I am brand new here.

Currently I am way too overweight. I am 5'3 and 289 lbs. My goal is to be under 160 so I can go in the military.

Here is what I have been doing:

I stopped all sweet intakes, no sodas, sweet teas, pastries, candy... etc.

I only drink water, some milk for the calcium, and every couple of days I might have a gatorade.

I am eating lean meats (red, chicken, and fish) 99% of the time grilled on my little George Foreman Grill.

I intake little to no carbs at all, I only eat veggies that are very low in carbs like Spinache (sp?).

Workout: 30-40 minutes fast walk/run on treadmill
    followed by machine weights where I do:
    biceps
    triceps
    bench
    leg lifts
    ham strings
    shoulder press
    lat pull downs

I do light weights (reall light) but I do 2 - 3 sets of 20 reps each.
    Also I do the lifting as fast as I can and still maintain a controlled motion.

Any suggestions you guys can give me? My goal at this point is weight loss and toning. Also I want to build endurance so I can eventually run 3 miles.
    Is my diet good (doing Atkins)? Are there any safe legal supplements I can take that will help with my weight loss?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    It seems that your bodyfat % is extremely high so I guess you don't need to be worried about losing muscle until you get down to a more normal bodyfat percent so the atkins will work OK for you, there are better diets but if you feel comfortable with it go for it, I suggest looking around this site for some better diets. Do your cardio on an empty stomach in the morning this will be best for fat loss, if not in the morning do it after weights, your glycogen levels will be low and the fat burning will kick in quicker. As for you lifting, don't do a full body workout every time you go, do each body part once or twice a week. Also don't go light weight high reps, what is the use of that!! Still go heavy this will help maintain muscle and you will probably use the same amount of energy as light and high reps, IMO that is just an excuss to be lazy!

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Also if tyring to join the miltary....run, run ,run. You can also get with your recruiter who can help set up some kind of running routine to get you ready for basic.

windhamjk is offline New Member
    Thanks for the tips.

The only reason I have been doing the high reps with low weights is thats what the trainer at the gym suggested. It seemed odd to me but he told me it would be like a full body cardio workout.

Thread Information