Thread: oatmeal ques.

CoRRuPtNCuT75292 is offline New Member

oatmeal ques.

hey bros whats up? got a quick question. today when i stopped by the grocery store to pick up some oatmeal i went for the cheap stuff. when i checked out the label everything was the same as the good stuff except for one thing. is there a difference between whole grain oats and rolled oats? if so whats the difference?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    rolled oats have been processed I think. I could be wrong. I try to stick with Quacker Oats just cause that's what I've been eating since I was a young 'un.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    They process the oats a bit more in the "cheap" stuff (instant, make it cook faster) this makes your almasse (spelling) break it down quicker in your stomach resulting in a higher insulin spike (not good).

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    So I was right!!!!!! I thought so but wasn't sure.

CoRRuPtNCuT75292 is offline New Member
    Thanx for the reply texan. thanx for yours also pain. I guess i just have to make another stop and pick up the good stuff...lol

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quaker Oats for sure. I buy the Instant ones (the grains are smaller, that's the only difference).

You said it Big Tex, I don't think I've ever had anything other than Q.O.

Keightly is offline Junior Member
    so then the quaker oats 1 min cook are fine, just smaller in size no difference in insulin spike?

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    right. I posted an oatmeal faq from the quaker oats web page. The instants are just cut up so they cook faster. The exact same rolled oats.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Just make sure you don't buy "Quick Oats" or any of that flavoured crap!

"Make no mistake about it, oatmeal is the carb of choice for many bodybuilders. Even if you’re on a reduced carb diet, there’s nothing wrong with a serving of oatmeal (27g of carbs) to go along with your morning protein. Your body has been deprived of food all night, so some slow-acting carbs to replenish stores, plus some protein, make for a great bodybuilding breakfast.

Oatmeal has about three grams of natural unsaturated fats, five grams of protein, and two grams each of soluble and insoluble fiber. The fiber not only helps keep your pooper working properly, the soluble variety can help improve cholesterol levels, thus earning the American Heart Association’s "heart healthy" seal of approval.

Only buy oatmeal that lists "100% natural rolled oats" in the ingredients. That’s it! Oats should be the one and only ingredient. Do not purchase those individually packaged, flavored oatmeal products! Also, don’t screw up a good thing by adding milk and sugar. Eat your oatmeal like a man. And by the way, old fashioned oats cook up just fine in the microwave, no need to boil the water in a pot.

Go to your pantry right now and get out your oatmeal. If you took out a colorful box full of little kiddy packets of peaches ‘n cream oatmeal, do yourself a favor and kick that shit to the curb! As stated above, we think oatmeal is one the best carb sources for bodybuilders, but the flavored, prepackaged variety sucks.

Look at the ingredients, which are listed in order of quantity. Sugar is usually the second ingredient in these girly oatmeal packets. Then you have other crap like salt, hydrogenated vegetable oils, maltodextrin, and partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

To top it off, the oats used in flavored oatmeal are usually more finely ground than healthy, old fashioned oatmeal. This means the GI could be higher based on the extra processing. The list of ugly ingredients goes on and varies a little with flavoring, but the lesson is simple: don’t eat this stuff if you want to look good nekid."

Thread Information