buffmike is offline Junior Member

Dextrose/ High Glycemic Food question

I am 6'2 200 pds, currently on an approx 3400 cal a day maintenance diet (lift 5* a week, cardio 3* a week, and am extremely active during the day). I am currently supplementing with Cell-Tech, which has 75 g of dextrose in it. I know after a workout this gives me a great insulin spike, so in my post workout meal 1-1.5 hrs later, should I have a high glycemic food(pasta potato rice) to complement this? Im worried about it increasing fat stores in my body. If this isnt the case, i need some help. After a workout, I usually eat in my school cafeteria. I usually get in some clean protein (egg whites, tuna, chicken), but the low glycemic carbs are limited. The only carbs available are pasta, potatoes, whole wheat or whole grain bread, a form of rice (usually not wild), and breakfast cereals, the best being bran flakes and cheerios. Can someone give me any suggestions on which would be the best carbs to eat in terms of after the cell tech?

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I would not go with high glycemic food after your post workout replenishment. The only reason for the sugar after workout is to cause that insulin spike and flush those nutrients to the muscles. After that, I would go with low glycemic foods such as beans, oats, whole grain bread.

If you go with a high glycemic food again 1-1.5 hours later, youll cause another insulin spike, the body will burn that sugar up and the rest of your food gets stored as fat. Besides post workout, you need to be looking for foods that are as slow digesting as possible.
    http://www.monkeymatters.com/charts/Food.htm

Check that out for some glycemic readings

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Pheen is on the $$ with that.

Pain

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

wait......

hold the phone......

dependent upon YOUR own plan, a second high glycemic meal like chicken/white rice will indeed help replinish muscle glycogen and HELP recovery. I'm just saying this because, as irony would have it, my own programs have meals such as this included pwo, and fat loss have never been quicker.

Remember, adding lean mass is half the battle to losing fat. Just know how much pwo nutrition you are to take in, and you're fine. Low glycemic vs. high glycemic pwo within 2-3 hours is no issue, as a spike is fine w/carbs to be used to replace glycogen, and amino acids to be taken in by the muscle cells, there is NO FAT in these meals. Again, YOU are to experiment, or have someone who knows how much you are to take in pwo, and eat those amounts. No worries.

The time an insulin spike hurts you is when no activity has been performed demanding glycogen replinishment, there is fat included with the meal, or there very well may be NO fat, but WAAAAAAAAY too many carbs. Too many low gi or high, it's still going to be stored!!!!! Excess carbs, high gi or not, will be stored as fat. An insulin spike is not needed for this. If people would just focus on what activities demand what nutrients, and quit worrying about the gi of a food, the world would be a far more fit place! Be proactive and "move for your food", that is, perform activity that demands nutrients to shape yourself. Don't be passive and make food choices based upon them hurting "the least". Be in charge when you think. U have choices, choices don't have you.

~SC~

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Good post swole. I still stay away from the high GI after post, keeps my hunger levels a little lower.

Pain

buffmike is offline Junior Member

ThaNKS

tHANKS ALOT TO ALL OF YOU I APPRECIATE LAL YOUR INPUT

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Good post Swole....can't wait to start the program.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member

Re: wait......

Originally posted by SwoleCat
    hold the phone......

dependent upon YOUR own plan, a second high glycemic meal like chicken/white rice will indeed help replinish muscle glycogen and HELP recovery. I'm just saying this because, as irony would have it, my own programs have meals such as this included pwo, and fat loss have never been quicker.

Remember, adding lean mass is half the battle to losing fat. Just know how much pwo nutrition you are to take in, and you're fine. Low glycemic vs. high glycemic pwo within 2-3 hours is no issue, as a spike is fine w/carbs to be used to replace glycogen, and amino acids to be taken in by the muscle cells, there is NO FAT in these meals. Again, YOU are to experiment, or have someone who knows how much you are to take in pwo, and eat those amounts. No worries.

The time an insulin spike hurts you is when no activity has been performed demanding glycogen replinishment, there is fat included with the meal, or there very well may be NO fat, but WAAAAAAAAY too many carbs. Too many low gi or high, it's still going to be stored!!!!! Excess carbs, high gi or not, will be stored as fat. An insulin spike is not needed for this. If people would just focus on what activities demand what nutrients, and quit worrying about the gi of a food, the world would be a far more fit place! Be proactive and "move for your food", that is, perform activity that demands nutrients to shape yourself. Don't be passive and make food choices based upon them hurting "the least". Be in charge when you think. U have choices, choices don't have you.

~SC~
    Touche' Mr. Swole, excellent interpretation

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

hehe.......

Thanks bro.......I was just giving another side of what you had said, that's all.

Thanks,
    ~SC~

Thread Information