MysticGohan is offline Junior Member

Help with My Bulking Diet

Hi. I haven't posted in a while. I need some help, i've been on a bulking diet for about 3 1/2 months now i started off at 140 and am now around 152. I get about 180 grams of protein a day and over 200 on workout days with my protein shakes. My gains seem to have stopped i've was at 150 for the longest time i think i gained the 2 pounds from cheating. But i am happy with my gains i feel alot of it is muscle. My strength has greatly increased too. I started out at a 140 bench and am now at 180.

What is the amount of calories i should consume a day. I eat 6 meals a day with 30 grams of protein a meal and usually 30 carbs before a workout and some after. I don't eat very many carbs if it's not before or after a workout or late or night. I do eat some carbs late at night when i feel i need it, i just slap some peanut butter on a toasted wholegrain slice of bread.

If any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Correction it's been 4 1/2 months since the begining of december. I'm 5'8 by the way.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well don't forget...the more weight you put on the more calories you nedd to eat. Have you increased yor calories since you've put on those 12 lbs??? Protein should be from 235 grams to 300 grams and carbs should be 300 grams to 375 grams a day.

Whoa 300+ carbs a day. I don't even get that many carbs in on a workout day.

durbin22 is offline Member
    I would use 152 x 20 = 3040 calories

thanks durbin.

meathead84 is offline Associate Member
    i would go with 3100 calories each day
    230 grams of protien (920 cals) body weight times 1.5
    60 grams of fat (540cals)
    415 gram of carbs (1,660 cals)

divide that by 6 meals and you want about 520 cals per meal
    40 grams of protien (4cals/gram)
    10 grams of fat (9cals/gram)
    70 grams of carbs (4cals/gamr)

this should put about a pound per week on you wich is a decent amount of wieght each week, remember to get your food from good sources, no processed stuff like sugar or packaged grocerie food stuff, go with food like chicken, lean beef, fish, whole weat sources of carbs
    watch your overtraining at the gym, but get a good intense workout in

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Depends on yoru metabolism. If you have a fast one you can eat a lot of food. For me to bulk I only need 2500-2700cals per day (I weight 200lb with about 13% BF (maybe now a little higher as I have had a cheat week, instead of cheat meal. haha) So it really depends on your body.

Pain

Thanks Meathead. Thanks for the breakdown too. I think that's just what i needed. I'm pretty sure i'm not over training i workout 4 times a week chest one day back and bi's another legs then abs.

Originally posted by MysticGohan
    Thanks Meathead. Thanks for the breakdown too. I think that's just what i needed. I'm pretty sure i'm not over training i workout 4 times a week chest one day back and bi's another legs then abs.
    when do you do shoulders? you may wanna change your training split if you have been doing the same thing for a while, i usually work out 5 days a week, with wed and sunday as rest days, each workout only 45mins to 1hour 15min

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    Try this one out bro...It looks like you have a hight metabolism like me...so this is my plan.

Breakfast-
    1 cup of oatmeal with milk+a spoon of honey
    16 oz Milk
    A bagel with peanut butter
    3 egg whites

Meal 2- Tuna sandwich(A whole can of tuna)
    Banana

Lunch - 8oz of Rice + Chicken breast

Meal 4- Tuna sandwich(whole can of tuna)
    Some sort of salad...

Meal 5- Weight gainer drink(or proteing if you wish)

Dinner- 8oz Rice+ Chicken Breast
    Orange juice

Before bad snack- 3 egg whites

Please Big Texan and Pain correct me here if I'm wrong...

tolinka i dont think that will be enough cals, maybe with three wieght gain drinks with those tuna sandwhiches, just egg whites b4 bed, how bout some protien and EFAs

try this its what a member on my board who started off about your size is currentyl eating and gaining lean mass succesfully, his is broken down into 7 meals instead of the six i recomended if you cant get 7 then you can drop either meal number 5 or 6 here(pick one) and make number 4 a weight gainer shake

1) 1 cup oatmeal, 44 grams protein,1 tblsp. flax
    2) 2 chicken breast sandwich in ww bread
    3) 2 tuna cans, 1 cup brown rice, bit of salsa
    4) Shake-60 grams protein,2 tblsp flax, 1 cup oatmeal, water
    5) 2 chicken breasts
    6) 1 whole egg, 11 whites
    7) Shake-60 gramsprotein, 2 tblsp flax, water
    Last edited by meathead84; 04-12-2003 at 12:19 PM.

tolinka is offline Senior Member
    You habe to understand though, thats sometimes its humanily impossible for use skinny huys to shove 4 chicken breasts a day...Personally i wouldnt be able to do it.

The diet that I suggested comes out about 400 carbs and 230g protein, I dont remember whats the exact amount(I had it written down somewhee at home)...

old-man is offline Junior Member
    ok..heres a real dumb question ... i see all the time where oatmeal is number one thing for breakfast ..which is kool i love oatmeal.. but what is throwing me off is the amount of protien thats being said .. is it that yawl are saying that you add protien to it? i have shopped at the protien factory and there prices and protien is some of the best tasting i have had.. just wondering if im reading this right..you are adding protien to your oats right?? sorry for a dumb question...lol

Originally posted by old-man
    ok..heres a real dumb question ... i see all the time where oatmeal is number one thing for breakfast ..which is kool i love oatmeal.. but what is throwing me off is the amount of protien thats being said .. is it that yawl are saying that you add protien to it? i have shopped at the protien factory and there prices and protien is some of the best tasting i have had.. just wondering if im reading this right..you are adding protien to your oats right?? sorry for a dumb question...lol
    it is easier to add oatmeal to your protien then protien to your oat meal, but im talking about eating a bowl full of oatmeal and drinking a protein shake

originally posted by tolinka
    sometimes its humanily impossible for use skinny huys to shove 4 chicken breasts a day...Personally i wouldnt be able to do it.
    you probably wouldnt be calling your self a skinny guy if you were able to shove down all those chicken breasts, i used to be a skinny guy myself before i got a good diet down, i was 165lbs now Im 225lbs, same with the guys who diet i showed you, he is getting up their now, so get at it, start eating a ton of good food and wathc your self grow

Originally posted by meathead84

when do you do shoulders? you may wanna change your training split if you have been doing the same thing for a while, i usually work out 5 days a week, with wed and sunday as rest days, each workout only 45mins to 1hour 15min
    That is what i am having a problem with i don't know when to train shoulders. Should i just extend my hour long chest workout another 15-20 minutes to fit in shoulders or just dedicate another day to it?

Here's my current schedule

Mon Rest
    Tues Chest
    Wed Back and bi's
    Thur Legs
    Fri Abs
    sat Rest
    Sun Rest

Sometimes i will just do legs in the morning on thursday and abs later on that day.

I think my main problem is i don't consume very many carbs i get most of my calories through protein. I have no problem eating 4 chicken breast a day it's 1:40 here and i've allready ate 2 chicken breast and will be on my 3rd in 20 minutes. I will now add in some kind of carb with my chicken that will probably give me the extra needed calories. I got on the scale this morning and i'm back down to 149 i think it's just the loss of water due to heavy boozing this weekend. Thanks for the help and suggestions every one.

Anyone? Chest day is tommorow is adding 15-20 minutes to my 1hour long routine gonna be pushing it, as far as overtraining?

Originally posted by durbin22
    I would use 152 x 20 = 3040 calories
    Hey I am no pro, but isn't it true that eating more than 2 x your body weight in protein your body can't process that much?

I guess he could eat more carbs, but when bulking I thought that you were always supposed to eat more protein than anything else.

Please correct me If I am wrong,(which I probaly am) so I can learn.

Thread Information