xenithon is offline Member

Question Help Choosing a Multivitamin

Hi all,

I have my diet and workouts sorted perfectly, and now its just a lot of tweaking here and there. One of the things I have been lacking is multivitamins. I can't take tablets (phobia I have had since I was young) so I can take either capsules or softgels. I am trying to find a 'one-a-day' sort of solution to take care of pretty much everything I might be lacking. I do not think I need one of those super mega vitamins with 10000% of each vit. and mineral.

I currently have the following hotlisted, and was wondering who has had experience with them, or which ones stand out as perhaps better than the other for any reason. Also and specific vits/mineral which may be lacking in any (I am not 100% sure of what exactly to look for so any person clued up on micronutrients could you please give me a hand).

1. Twinlab Daily One (taking one a day)
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...UY-PLST-0-SRCH
    2. GNC Multi-Gel (taking one softgel a day, not the 2 they recommend)
    http://www.drugstore.com/qxp42561_33...l_capsules.htm
    3. Vitalabs Soft Gel Multi (taking one a day)
    http://www.vitalabs.com/mvmb.html

Budget is not too constricted, and I would rather opt for something slightly higher quality and more expensive if need be.

Please note I live in South Africa (and thus will purchase it online and get it shipped here) - here there is very little decent vitamins and minerals because the medical board has a much lower daily rating than many countries so most of the products with high potency aren't even allowed in.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Decoder is offline Banned
    IMO i wouldn't take any of those, the only good vitiamin is a time released one. Most are out of your system in 2 hours and wasted.

meathead84 is offline Associate Member
    i like the gnc ultramega gold it is time released and also has digestive enzymes, i only take one perday instead of the recomended two

Hi there,

As mentioned before, I cannot take tablets. Its been a phobia since I was young. For this reason I guess its difficult trying to find time-released products, since they are all tabs.

Amongst those I recommended, which ones do you think might be the best? Is there anything lacking in one of them which I should be conscious of? Are there any other softgel/capsule multi's avaialable which you guys suggest? Also, do you guys know any online shop/mnaufacturer that ships internationally??

Thanks!

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Why is it a phobia? Do you have problems eating in general? A capsule, gel cap, tablet.. whatever... do you know how to take them? Most people take swallowing a tablet so seriously but then forget to chew while eating steak... It's a just a tablet... it's not going to hurt you anymore than food does. Just put it in your mouth... take a sip of water and swallow it.

Your best muti's are going to be tablets. Shit... there are a lot of sups to take in tablet form (OTC and Rx) - better off conquering your "phobia"...
    Last edited by Warrior; 04-13-2003 at 12:55 AM.

Hi again,

I respect everyone's opinion here, and I knew I would be in for these type of posts. Unfortunately it is a phobia - what you suggest is like telling someone with a fear of heights 'oh just get over it'. I wish it was that easy

That's why softgels I take cause I can bite into them, not swallow; and capsule I open up and take the powder directly with some liquid. I know of course it is not optimal at all, but it is better than nothing. I know I may be losing the benefits of time-realeased products.

Please if anyone could post suggestions about the products listed or any others they recommend. I truly respect your viewpoint Warrior, but unfortunately it doesn't help my situation.

Thanks again!

harl is offline Associate Member
    I was scared of swallowing vitamins when I was young to..... but then
    I grew up. I was Afraid I was going to choke on it or something. Its not a big deal once you do it just wash it down with some water. YOU CAN DO IT! Just dont use the horse pills like animal cuts, find a small multi like...centrum?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by xenithon
    I respect everyone's opinion here, and I knew I would be in for these type of posts. Unfortunately it is a phobia - what you suggest is like telling someone with a fear of heights 'oh just get over it'. I wish it was that easy...
    I am trying to help - but I am also trying to get you past this problem. Your analogy does not fit - it is more like someone who performs high wire acts being affraid of going up glass elevators. You eat every day - and I hate to make you feel afraid to eat now - but a lot of the food you eat through out the day goes down your throat in pieces much bigger than tablets. But anyhoo - it doesn't sound like you are prepared to get past this. Hopefully in you fitness endeavors you begin to learn how great accomplishments can be and overcoming hurdles and you eventually see past this "phobia."

But anyway - I know of no quality softgel or capsule form multi vitamin. They simply uptake [absorb] too fast. So find a good one based on what you may be lacking (typically athletes need far beyond the RDA of B vitamins, anti-oxidents, electrolyte minerals, digestive enzymes are a plus) and spread the dose out through out the day... taking one capsule or gel cap will be in and out of your system to fast.

I looked at the three products you linked to and out of those choices - I would suggest taking 2 GNC Multi Gels per day... you could even get away with 3X per day if you are an intense athlete and hold a lot of bodyweight.

Hi Again

Just a quick update: I found someone who can bring some stuff over for me from the US, and so I have the choice again about the multivitamins. I do not think I will go for the GNC due to its high price, but the Twinlab and Vitalabs are viable options which I will take 2 of a day, one in the morning and one later on in the day. Between those 2 do you guys think any one is 'better' or higher quality than the other?? I can get both for around the same price (Vitalabs slightly cheaper) and there are a few difference in the amounts of the micronutrients in each and was wondering if anyone thinks one has an edge for active people (I am not too clued up and what each micronutrient does )

Thanks!

frankm7 is offline Banned
    xenithon!! i just read your post..and the phobia u have, i had until very recently... this is what happened to me...

i used to have this habit of chewing on plastic bags (like biting your nails, no big deal...) a while back, and once, i inhaled and swallowed a piece... i was 5 seconds away from dying... the feeling is insane...terrible... i thought i got over it but then i choked on a cheeseburger..those feelings returned and for 1 1/2 years i wouldnt eat anything solid, NOTHING! all pureed and made into pourages... entering into high school i was 125lbs at 5'10!! i couldn't get over it... finally that summer i decided to face my fear and i started bulking... slowwwwly, very slowllly i ate those things i was scared off... breads, cheeseburgers, meats, etc.. i made it to 182... and my fair was pretty much over with... except for the pills... i couldn't take those things in...

i had an incident that i THOUGHT i had gotten gotten sick and i went to the doc...before the results were in she gave me a bunch of antibiotics in capsule form (only way to take them)... that night, it took me like 15 minutes to swallow one... i had 4 more to go!)... then the other one...took 10... then the other...9..and finally the last i just did it... now, it's no big deal (if it's not too big, heh..)...

i can tell u you can do it..but only you can decide that... for me, i had no other choice... when ur put in that position, it's your health over your fear... just a matter of time before you might be faced with something like that... if u want more advice dont hesistate to PM, i know what ur going thru...
    Last edited by frankm7; 04-23-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Thread Information