PAGUY26 is offline Junior Member

The Atkins Diet???

would this be good to use for getting ripped up? Isnt it like a keto diet?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    It is a keto. As long as you do less cals in than cals out you will get ripped no matter what your diet is. What really matters is how your body reacts to the macros you get. You can get ripped and look hella good or get ripped and look like shit. There is a difference and Diet is where the key is. You will have to try it and see, everything works different for everyone, I prefer a TKD approach over the CKD. But that is my body.

Pain

biggnik56 is offline Associate Member
    what exactly is a "keto" diet??

A diet where your body uses ketones (sp??) for fuel. Well not really ketones for the fuel, they are a waste product of your body using fat for fuel. You pee them out (also excrete them in your breath too, they smell pretty nasty). That is why they call it a keto diet, because your body should be in a state of ketosis.

Pain

BIG R is offline Member
    I'll tell you right now.....Atkins diets and lifting weights, DO NOT MIX!!! Get some carbs in your life. YOu will feel much better and still lose weight. Atkins is too extreem and you will be flat as hell in appearance. Get it out of your head. TRUST ME.

R

what could be the minimal amount of carbs to intake??

Originally posted by biggnik56
    what could be the minimal amount of carbs to intake??
    Depends on your body most say around 30g. But I can hit keto with around 100g of carbs (postworkout, a lot of fiber, and sugar alcohols.) Most people find this very strange and say I am lucky.

Pain

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by Peter North
    big r i dont think anyone was suggesting depleting carbs totally from your diet but i think that structuring your carb intake to a.m. hours and limiting the amount of high GI carbs has been beneficial to alot of people and correct me if i'm wrong but thats the general idea of the Atkins Diet.
    I agree with what you are saying to a point Pete. When cutting, it is a very good idea to limit high GI carbs (except for immdiately after lifting), to consume complex carbs in the AM only and used only fiberous carbs for the rest of the day. Energy levels will still drop (in which case an thermogenic helps) but training will still be beneficial. However, I agree with BIG R that the Atkins diet (which is differen't from a CKD) diet is not good for bodybuilders. Atkins advocates high protein, high fat and ULTRA low carbs. When he talks fat, he means any and all fats...not just good fats. So on the Atkins diet an example of a meal could be 8ox of pepperoni and half a block of cheddar, or 3 Wendy's Big Bacon Classics without the buns, a bag of pork rhinds is acceptable as is Kentucky fried chicken without the skin. The theory is that the body (once in a state of ketosis) will burn fat for energy..and in theory it works. But it was originally developed for the morbidly obese and was meant to be used for short periods of time. It was definately not meant for bodybuilders (or any athletes for that matter) and it is not a healthy way to live. Although carbs, in excess, can lead to spiked insulin levels and can effect blood sugar, they are also essential for brain functions and muscle growth. Most bodybuilders only limit carb intake in the final stages of a contest diet. I've seen people who religiously follow an ultra low, or no carbohydrate diet...who train with wieghts and use AAS...and to be frank, I wouldn't even guess that these people work out let alone use AAS.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    I love the Atkins diet, it turns big fat people into little fat people!moderation is usually the answer, and Atkins isn't moderate. Carbs are superior to fat when it comes to energy.

hybrid is offline Member
    Dr Atkins slipped and fell on the ice outside of his clinic in NYC last week during the freak ice storm. He died today from the head injuries after being in a coma for a week.

Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by hybrid
    Dr Atkins slipped and fell on the ice outside of his clinic in NYC last week during the freak ice storm. He died today from the head injuries after being in a coma for a week.
    Bah, I thought you were kidding, but sure enough;

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/04/17...ins/index.html

sooner45 is offline Member
    Well how would you know if you are in a "state of ketosis"???? I've heard you guys mention "when you go into a state of ketosis"..........How would you exactly know that.........????

"Well how would you know if you are in a "state of ketosis"???? I've heard you guys mention "when you go into a state of ketosis"..........How would you exactly know that.........????"

thats a good question

They sell strips you urinate on and they change color depending if you have ketones in your urine.

Pain

durbin22 is offline Member
    I ran a CKD for 6 weeks and it did work good. I lost about 20lbs and a good amount of fat. I am not sure as to how much fat but 2" from my waist. My workouts did suffer from it though and I was tired most of the time. I have gained 7lbs since I stopped but my waist has not changed which is why I did the diet in the first place. I think this type of diet is okay for a short time but from experience I would not do a no carb diet again.

BIG R is offline Member
    North,

Dont get ME wrong but as Pete235 further asserted (more eloquently) the Atkins diet is too extreem and not meant for atheletes or BB'ers in general. It was created for obese people looking for a desperate way out to lose weight. Thats the same BS I hear from people that want to lose weight so desperately that they go on these Fasts. Nothing could put your body under more stress.
    I know that you explained the High GI carbs but people almost always think want to mess with the amount of carbs in a negative way......going lower, and lower. Did you notice the POST right after yours asked the question:
    "what could be the minimal amount of carbs to intake??" That is almost always the reponse that you will get from people hoping to get ripped on this diet. My stance still remains that it is a Very Bad Idea to lift while doing the Atkins diet. I have a different idea of a healthy diet that allows me to lift weights and feel good at the same time.

Pete235: Thanks for your well-read version of my crude original post.

R

BIG R is offline Member
    North,

ITs all cool brotha! Reason that I know about this particular subject is because I tried it.......and almost freakin' killed myself.....I was so dam tired all of the time....hated life. I dont want anyone to go through what I went through. I feel MUCH better now. I ATE my way to happiness.

Yes that is me on my avatar.......I was realy for some seriouse Mexican food. But I won my national qualification that night.

later on,
    R

eggplant is offline Member
    guys...where can i find more info on tkd,ckd diets? any particular webby?

peace,
    eggplant

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by eggplant
    guys...where can i find more info on tkd,ckd diets? any particular webby?

peace,
    eggplant
    www.c-k-d.com

NotVinDiesel is offline New Member
    just outside the Loop but not far from the lake
    CKD and better yet, TKD diets are superior to Atkins in that they are more descriptive in what qualifies as the right fat to consume and when to do it. CKD diets tend to leave the dieter tired by day 4 or 5. TKD diets seem to have the best set up bracketing carb intake around the workout.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotVinDiesel
    CKD and better yet, TKD diets are superior to Atkins in that they are more descriptive in what qualifies as the right fat to consume and when to do it. CKD diets tend to leave the dieter tired by day 4 or 5. TKD diets seem to have the best set up bracketing carb intake around the workout.
    I think different diets work for different ppl. I had horrible luck with TKD, i will always use a CKD from now on over a TKD. However thats just me. I would still use a CKD or a TKD over atkins any day though.

You are right in that a CKD does tend to leave you a bit tired, but nothing tired me out more than not losing weight when i was on a TKD.

Thread Information