Thread: egg whites

aportinastorm is offline Junior Member

egg whites

I have always tried to consumes eggs each day, great source of protein and one of my favorite foods. For the last couple of weeks i've been drinking a carton of egg whites each day (20 egg whites 100g protein 500cal). Easily fits into my daily calorie intake and a very easy way to get 100g protein each day with really no negative that i can see nutrition wise but i figured i'd check with the experts and see if there is any potential harm or downside to consuming that quantity of eggs each day? also salmanilla isn't a concern with eggs out of a carton apparently or at least that's what is said on the carton. Thanks for the input.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I posted a few threads on this. Driving to gym now. Let me get back to you.

mike954 is offline Member
    Iv always wanted to drink them out of the carton but I was scared of salmonella what brand are you drinking raw ?

I appreciate it, i looked up your previous post on it and it was very informative. As far as the avidid build up from consuming strictly whites how many yokes a day is needed to counteract 20 egg whites? Or are there other ways to counteract it or is it not really a big deal anyways? again I appreciate the help.

bobjack is offline Associate Member
    egg whites in the carton are pasteurized, should be no problem.

at the moment lucerne but I have used a couple different brands. From what i've learned there really isn't much risk with getting salmonella from drinking eggs particularly egg whites from a carton. Salmonella is on the shell of the egg not the egg itself and is usually only found on cheaper eggs where chickens were raised under poor uncleanly conditions. organic or higher end eggs have a very small percentage of eggs containing salmonella wheres it's a very small risk. I am by no means an expert on this matter but have done a bit of research and most everything I read come to that conclusion.

mike954 is offline Member
    Thank you the the quick response I by no means mean to hijack your post I just read the box it's "all whites" and says right on it good for protein shakes guess I should read huh ? Lol

lol no worries man

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Here's the problem with drinking egg whites: the protein isn't as bioavailable as when cooked. Sounds strange, but it's true - you will get more 'bang for your buck' with cooked egg whites. Some claims state protein bioavailability is only around 50% - meaning you think you're getting 100g of protein, but really are only getting 50g. Obviously, eating a carton of cooked egg whites is a HELLUVA lot tougher than just drinking them.

Just something to keep in mind. Otherwise, eggs (whole eggs really) are a great source of protein, a gold standard to many.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    What about egg protein powders?

Sorry to jack the thread. But, I am getting close to 100g's worth of protein from egg protein powders and been thinking of switching to liquid egg whites.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Here's the problem with drinking egg whites: the protein isn't as bioavailable as when cooked. Sounds strange, but it's true - you will get more 'bang for your buck' with cooked egg whites. Some claims state protein bioavailability is only around 50% - meaning you think you're getting 100g of protein, but really are only getting 50g. Obviously, eating a carton of cooked egg whites is a HELLUVA lot tougher than just drinking them.

Just something to keep in mind. Otherwise, eggs (whole eggs really) are a great source of protein, a gold standard to many.
    Gb doesn't the pasteurization process take care of the problem with bio-availability? Read that somewhere but can't remember where exactly.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle

Gb doesn't the pasteurization process take care of the problem with bio-availability? Read that somewhere but can't remember where exactly.
    It only helps with killing the salmonella bacteria. The pasteurisation process doesn't involve enough heat to cook the eggs to resolve the bioavailability issues.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteM

It only helps with killing the salmonella bacteria. The pasteurisation process doesn't involve enough heat to cook the eggs to resolve the bioavailability issues.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Thread Information