yellows2k is offline Member

Separation of Carbs and Fats

I know carbs and fats should be separated, can anyone gimme an explanation as to why in a nutshell?

So if you split fats and carbs, is it bad to combine flax and oatmeal for breakfast?

I currently have carbs 3 meals out of 6, one for breakfast, one preworkout meal(1.5-2 hours preworkout), and post workout, that leaves me with 3 meals, but one of those meals is after the post workout which I been eating no fats, so that leaves me with 2 meals for fats.....I take in about 45g of fats a day, is it too much to eat 20g of fat per sitting?

Thanks guys!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

no......

it's fine to have that much fat per serving, make sure at least half your fats are good ones. In the absence of carbs, not to worry.....

Flax and oats would be okay, but I take no chances and split them up. Being that fats are calorie dense, more than twice per gram as pro/carbs, if you have too many carbs, low gi or not, and you have fats in that meal, you better believe you will store that fat. I don't like to try and walk the line of what is too much and what is not. The simpler a diet is, the less areas there are for things to go wrong, the better the diet is and the longer you will stay on it. When it comes time to adjust the diet, you only have to do so in certain places.

~SC~

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    OK I am trying this seperating Carbs and Fats thing on my next lean bulk. Swole I am giving it one more chance because of you, it does make sense to me when bulking. I have done it cutting and it hasn't done anything extra for me. So my question is do you count fiber as energy carbs?? I have heard that they don't need to be counted toward you daily carb and cal totals because they get pushed right out of the system and no calories are taken from them, do you know if this is true? I am asking this because I love veggies and find that it will be very helpful for me to make my protein/fat meals contain a good amount of veggies to help fill me up, you know that a can of tuna and 1 tbsp of flax is not filling but add 1cup broc to that and you are good to go. How do you go about handling this?? I am thinking that there is no worry since the veggies have about 1/2 fiber and they do not create an isulin spike which would help push fat into adipose tissue.

Pain

P.S. Sorry Yellow for sort of jacking the tread but I think we will both benefit from this Q.

yellows2k is offline Member
    I totally agree, I love tuna PB and brocolli

yeah.......

it's fine to have the fibrous veggies, just don't go ridiculously psycho insane overboard, as even things that are good for you can be taken too extreme.

~SC~

PHATCAT is offline Associate Member
    hey eat all the grens yu can 1cup off veg only has around 10 carbs tahats whaat it says on my frozen veggies and the fiber is great and it fill me up I steam them with 1tbsp low fat butter yummy!!!!!!!!!!

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member

Re: yeah.......

Originally posted by SwoleCat
    it's fine to have the fibrous veggies, just don't go ridiculously psycho insane overboard, as even things that are good for you can be taken too extreme.

~SC~
    Agreed, thanks bro.

Pain

Originally posted by painintheazz
    OK I am trying this seperating Carbs and Fats thing on my next lean bulk. Swole I am giving it one more chance because of you, it does make sense to me when bulking. I have done it cutting and it hasn't done anything extra for me. So my question is do you count fiber as energy carbs?? I have heard that they don't need to be counted toward you daily carb and cal totals because they get pushed right out of the system and no calories are taken from them, do you know if this is true? I am asking this because I love veggies and find that it will be very helpful for me to make my <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>/fat meals contain a good amount of veggies to help fill me up, you know that a can of tuna and 1 tbsp of flax is not filling but add 1cup broc to that and you are good to go. How do you go about handling this?? I am thinking that there is no worry since the veggies have about 1/2 fiber and they do not create an isulin spike which would help push fat into adipose tissue.

Pain

P.S. Sorry Yellow for sort of jacking the tread but I think we will both benefit from this Q.
    So, just to be sure on this one, I don't add the carbs OR THE CALS from the greens? If this is the case, that is great.

Yo........

Originally posted by PHATCAT
    hey eat all the grens yu can 1cup off veg only has around 10 carbs tahats whaat it says on my frozen veggies and the fiber is great and it fill me up I steam them with 1tbsp low fat butter yummy!!!!!!!!!!
    "Frozen veggies"........my first suggestion would be to use fresh vegetables. Secondly, many "bagged" veggies would contain carrots/peas/corn, any of which are full of sugar and aren't on the list of acceptable veggies. Choose from zucchinni, brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans.

~SC~

Pinch is offline Associate Member

Re: Yo........

"Frozen veggies"........my first suggestion would be to use fresh vegetables. Secondly, many "bagged" veggies would contain carrots/peas/corn, any of which are full of sugar and aren't on the list of acceptable veggies. Choose from zucchinni, brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans.

~SC~
    u forgot SPINACH

David B. is offline Member

Re: Yo........

Choose from zucchinni, brocolli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans.

How 'bout asparagus?

--dnb

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey Swole Cat...i'm more or less trying to do what Christian did on t-mag and using some of his macro nutrients....i know all about what foods to eat and at what times...my question is do you think that something like 350 protein, 150 carbs, and 60 fat would get me from 205 at 10% to about 190 at 7-8%..i also will have anabolic support.

Thread Information