krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member

Carb back loading

Who here has any comments to make about carb back loading? Good? Bad? It's supposed to be great for cutting.

For those that don't really know what it is, I'll summarise.

1) 10 days of zero carbs to apparently reteach your body how to deal with them effectively.
    2) after the 10 day kick start, you are only allowed a maximum of 30g carbs on non training days.
    On training days you are allowed only 30g carbs before you train, after you train in the evening, you are encouraged to eat as much as you like.

For example, a friend of mine uses this diet, and he is very lean. After training on Tuesdays, he orders 2 dominoes pizzas and slowly grazes over it all night. He is gifted with being very lean naturally though, so this diet doesn't really gain any evidence by his usage.

The diet gets a bit more complex if you happen to train in the morning etc. but I have, I think, given the rough outlines to it.

So any feedback, especially from you real nutritionists would be great. As I have currently another thread in progress regarding an upcoming cut for myself.

-Krugerr

Vpunishment is offline Junior Member
    I intermittent fast with a 4 to six hour window, always workout on empty stomach. No strength loss and i'm pretty lean now... veins on my stomach are coming in and striations everywhere. Its week five for me now,,, but it is a life style change.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    sounds like a modified Atkins allowing for weightlifting.

not sure about the only 30 carbs preworkout and "as many as you like" after.

what's the theory behind that?

SMACKADUCK is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    sounds like a modified Atkins allowing for weightlifting.

not sure about the only 30 carbs preworkout and "as many as you like" after.

what's the theory behind that?
    John keifer is the guy who wrote it, I've read on it and actually tried it for a while but couldn't handle no carbs through the day. It's an interesting theory and keifer goes as far to say as many of whatever carbs you want, little Debbie's or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SMACKADUCK

John keifer is the guy who wrote it, I've read on it and actually tried it for a while but couldn't handle no carbs through the day. It's an interesting theory and keifer goes as far to say as many of whatever carbs you want, little Debbie's or whatever.
    Thanks Smacka! There is a whole e-book on the topic that I do have access too, but I tend to find that books written for hip new diets tend to be very biased in there verdicts, and very vague on evidence. So I haven't read it properly yet.

I really don't know the theory behind 30gcarbs before workout, and "all-you-can-eat" after. I think the book describes it as training your body to correctly use carbs by limiting when you have them.
    By having carbs only after a training session, somehow this makes the body react differently. I'm not really clued up on this though, sounds like baloney to me.

-Krugerr

digsy1983 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr;61***40
    By having carbs only after a training session, somehow this makes the body react differently. I'm not really clued up on this though, sounds like baloney to me.

-Krugerr
    sounds like its based on carb depletion/reload. dont know tho if the time frames it gives you would be adequate to achieve the desired effect tho. ive just started carb cycling and the depletion/reload is one of the stages within the diet, and that sqeezes a 2 day depletion and a 30hour reload. dont know if you could accomplish both in a 24 hour peroid.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I studied up on the Atkins by reading a few books that it takes a full two weeks of NO carbs to begin to force the body to really start metabolizing fat. Until then, it only does so very reluctantly. And then after that point, you are allowed 25 grams a day until you hit your desired weight, then 50 grams of carbs after that for maintenance.

so i was under the impression that the body was fairly slow to respond to drastic diet changes?

Appreciate the feedback guys. I was a little dubious of this diet.

So for a cut diet. Should I try to keep my carbs under 100g? Or go as far as 30g or less?

My stats are in my profile.
    I'm 6'4".
    118kg.
    ~19% body fat.

If ya sort out your TDEE calories and then divide on a 60/20/20% split (60% protein, 20% carb, 20% fat) this is a good set up to run a standard calorie deficit diet.
    My stats starting on this defecit and split were 6'2, 28 years old and 205 lbs and I used 2200 cals. 324g protein, 110g carb, 45g fat (roughly, can't remember off the top of my head)
    For your stats this wud be an affective means to cut.

Its advised you eat 60g of carbs a day to stay out of ketosis. So 100g will keep you running out of ketosis but wil still be forcing your busy to burn a good amount of its fat reserves. 30g will probably be rather pointless, seems too low to have a positive effect on what you want from carbs.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    If you are going to do this carb back loading, might as well buy and read the book to get the whole background on it. I've heard awesome things from it and personally would read it if it wasn't 80 dollars. Although come next spring I might fork out the money and give it a read, and possibly pick up this style of eating.

I'm pretty sure I have the digital copy still. I don't want to encourage file sharing. But I could 'lend' it to you!

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Reading the book now, decent ways into it. His explanations and scientific evidence are fairly solid. Seems like a really good program that can be used in all stages, or to avoid losing muscle mass while cutting, or to avoid gaining fat while bulking, or for just recomping. I'm going to be bulking soon, basically all out, but reading this makes me think I can more effectively bulk without the fat gain by following these principles. What he says just makes sense, I wanted to try something semi similar to this on my own long time ago, so hearing the evidence behind it meshes well with what I was thinking in theory.

If I don't incorporate some of the principles during my bulk, I will surely adopt this after I am done, or soon after. Definitely recommend reading it to people, it's awesome.

koncrete is offline New Member
    Hey Bro, do you still have a copy of this e-book? I'm very interested in reading it but can't find it online.

Thanks
    TJ

cue_artist is offline Associate Member
    If u have an online copy i would really appreciate it if u can send me the link .
    Thanks

etownfit is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMACKADUCK View Post

How long did you try? IM interested in this...I know when I do a Paleo challenge the first week and shall are miserable but then I feel great...is it constant fatigue on the no carbs?

Thread Information