Thread: Sugar question

lstbred is offline Senior Member

Sugar question

I love sweets and treats but usually I get things with sweet& low/sugar substitute/aspertame/no calorie, you get idea. Do these things still have any effects like sugars do, I know that a lot of things are converted after intake. Just a question I was wondering.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Depends on what the sweetener. Read up on the differences between aspartame, sucralose, nutrasweet, and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, etc)

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Through my own experimentation using a glucose meter, many artificial sweeteners still have an impact on blood glucose. It usually takes a relatively moderate portion but there is still a a noticeable spike

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    Through my own experimentation using a glucose meter, many artificial sweeteners still have an impact on blood glucose. It usually takes a relatively moderate portion but there is still a a noticeable spike
    Noles - i'd be interested to talk to you more about this, as i'm too cheap to invest in a decent BGL meter, lol!

I admittedly used quite a bit of splenda (sucralose) in the past but have been trying to cut back as of late and go a more natural route, i.e. Stevia. Did you happen to test both of those? If so, were there any appreciable differences you can recall?

PS - I hope this isn't a hijack as I feel it's relevant to the OP's question. I'll take it elsewhere if so.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Noles - i'd be interested to talk to you more about this, as i'm too cheap to invest in a decent BGL meter, lol!

I admittedly used quite a bit of splenda (sucralose) in the past but have been trying to cut back as of late and go a more natural route, i.e. Stevia. Did you happen to test both of those? If so, were there any appreciable differences you can recall?

PS - I hope this isn't a hijack as I feel it's relevant to the OP's question. I'll take it elsewhere if so.
    In using a packet of each on separate days, Stevia had much less of an impact on blood glucose. When increasing the portion, sucralose had much more of a spike on my glucose. Neither is as large as pure sugar, but still an impact. The stevia is what I choose to go with as it was minimal.

I feel it is almost a psychological response to the sweet nature of both

In using a packet of each on separate days, Stevia had much less of an impact on blood glucose. When increasing the portion, sucralose had much more of a spike on my glucose. Neither is as large as pure sugar, but still an impact. The stevia is what I choose to go with as it was minimal.
    Kind of what I expected to hear... and i'm thankful I've recently switched to Stevia, despite it costing nearly 3x as much as Splenda. What I do find strange is that Splenda is touted as having zero grams of carbs per packet, while Stevia contains 3 grams... but not sugar obviously.

I feel it is almost a psychological response to the sweet nature of both
    It's very possible you're right. Psychosomatic.

Quick article on splenda. Companies can get away with the "0" under federal regulations. It is very misleading. Go pick up a vitamin water zero. Somehow 4 grams of carbs= 0 calories.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blo...-calories.html

Quick article on splenda. Companies can get away with the "0" under federal regulations. It is very misleading. Go pick up a vitamin water zero. Somehow 4 grams of carbs= 0 calories.

Lmao. Thanks brother

What about the claim that due to the chemical alteration of the sugar molecule in sucralose, the body cannot digest it, and therefore there is no sugar spike? Obviously you have your own personal data to the contrary. But I've even seen this claim on diabetes sites, which is scary!

What about the claim that due to the chemical alteration of the sugar molecule in sucralose, the body cannot digest it, and therefore there is no sugar spike? Obviously you have your own personal data to the contrary. But I've even seen this claim on diabetes sites, which is scary!
    To tell you the truth I havent really done much research on it other than my own personal trials. I had heard about the spike in glucose so I chose to see for myself. I already had splenda, stevia, and a one touch ultra meter.

So to answer your question, I have no idea. I just know my levels rose more on the splenda so when I do not want this spike I avoid splenda

Np, thx bro.

digsy1983 is offline Member
    interesting stuff! id presume this applies to stuff like coke zero aswel, and about 90% of the sugar free crap out there!!??

have you tested coke zero for a insulin spike?

Quote Originally Posted by digsy1983 View Post
    interesting stuff! id presume this applies to stuff like coke zero aswel, and about 90% of the sugar free crap out there!!??

Nope. Next time I have one I may test it

What is Coke Zero sweetened with? Pretty sure it's Aspartame, just like Diet Coke.

Both contain aspartame. If I remember correctly, coke zero only has abut half of that in diet coke

A few interesting comparisons at the link below. Not sure as to how factual any of it is, so take it with a grain of salt. Note this is an incomplete list.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Side--Side-C...teners-1133886

Both contain aspartame. If I remember correctly, coke zero only has abut half of that in diet coke
    Interesting, seeing as it tastes almost identical to regular coke. From what I recall, the ingredients in diet coke and coke zero are nearly identical, other than that of quantity. i.e. Coke Zero was designed to taste like regular Coke, whereas people have come to enjoy the flavor profile of Diet Coke, so they kept it as it's own product instead of simply changing the name and taste.

Interesting, seeing as it tastes almost identical to regular coke. From what I recall, the ingredients in diet coke and coke zero are nearly identical, other than that of quantity. i.e. Coke Zero was designed to taste like regular Coke, whereas people have come to enjoy the flavor profile of Diet Coke, so they kept it as it's own product instead of simply changing the name and taste.
    I personally feel diet coke is sweeter and know many people who agree. Im sure the double portion of asparatame is the reason in comparison to coke zero.

By the way, OP sorry for the hijacking. I'm hoping some of this is helping to answer your questions.

I personally feel diet coke is sweeter and know many people who agree. Im sure the double portion of asparatame is the reason in comparison to coke zero.
    It definitely tastes sweeter, yet has that 'diet' taste, whatever it is. I've actually come to enjoy diet coke, but ONLY from a fountain. Can't stand it from the can/bottle. Coke Zero on the other hand is gtg no matter how it's dispensed.

lstbred is offline Senior Member

By the way, OP sorry for the hijacking. I'm hoping some of this is helping to answer your questions.
    No prob, gettting some decent info Is it, even in you own opinion, counteractive for us?

Quote Originally Posted by lstbred View Post
    No prob, gettting some decent info Is it, even in you own opinion, counteractive for us?

It dpends on your goals. If trying to maintain ketosis i do not feel it is a good idea. Also constantly increasing blood glucose means an increase in insulin to counteract which can lead to weight gain

Just tested my blood glucose after 12 oz of diet Dr Pepper. I was around 5 hours fasted before testing it and had a blood glucose level of 85 mg/dL. 20 minutes after the diet dr pepper my blood sugar rose to 92 mg/dL. This is relatively small in comparison to splendas spike for me

If its a relatively low rise in blood sugar levels from Dr pepper the sugar free drinks should have even less on blood sugar levels. Good to know, rather than assuming.

If its a relatively low rise in blood sugar levels from Dr pepper the sugar free drinks should have even less on blood sugar levels. Good to know, rather than assuming.
    Diet dr pepper is sweetened with aspartame not sugar

Seems I got some research on soft drinks to do! Just assumed it was loaded with sugar. good news tho, I love Dr pepper! :-)

Seems I got some research on soft drinks to do! Just assumed it was loaded with sugar. good news tho, I love Dr pepper! :-)
    Why would diet Dr. Pepper be loaded with sugar!??!

HahHaha cos sometimes I'm stupid! Think my brain skipped the DIET part of noles post so I would deliberately feed it sugar.
    Got to watch these devious brains man, they're always looking to get their own way! lol.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    To tell you the truth I havent really done much research on it other than my own personal trials. I had heard about the spike in glucose so I chose to see for myself. I already had splenda, stevia, and a one touch ultra meter.

So to answer your question, I have no idea. I just know my levels rose more on the splenda so when I do not want this spike I avoid splenda
    Quote Originally Posted by Noles12;622***9
    Just tested my blood glucose after 12 oz of diet Dr Pepper. I was around 5 hours fasted before testing it and had a blood glucose level of 85 mg/dL. 20 minutes after the diet dr pepper my blood sugar rose to 92 mg/dL. This is relatively small in comparison to splendas spike for me

Noles, a couple of questions regarding your posts if you please. Firstly the cost of a reliable blood glucose meter? are the cheap ones any good ? maybe $30-$40

Secondly, the level of blood glucose to remain in ketosis is less than 100mg/dl, correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320

Noles, a couple of questions regarding your posts if you please. Firstly the cost of a reliable blood glucose meter? are the cheap ones any good ? maybe $30-$40

Secondly, the level of blood glucose to remain in ketosis is less than 100mg/dl, correct ?
    I own both an expensive meter and cheap meter. My one touch ultra mini (the more expensive one I use most) comes out with around the same numbers as my novamax meter( I have this one because it is a ketone meter as well).

So I wouldnt spend too much on a meter. I was given the one touch meter along with a couple hundred strips so I use it often.

As for your question on ketosis, blood sugar is not a good indicator. Just because your carbs are low does not mean your blood glucose will be. This is due to the body compensating for the lack of glucose ingested. The body will start releasing glucagon rather than insulin . This glucagon will stimulating the breaking down of stored glycogen and fatty acids to be used for energy.

So with a lower insulin level and glycogen being broken down to glucose, blood sugar remains high. It may be even higher than normal.

The best way to find if you are in ketosis is a meter like the cheap one I have that can test the levels of ketones in the body. Your body produces ketones and there are ranges in which one would be considered to be in ketosis

Thread Information