BorNova is offline New Member

New need help with deit

Just posted in new member site. Was directed here first:
    So I already explained my situation in the other forum but here is the short and sweet :
    Getting married June
    Need to look good for pics
    Stats right now
    Working out since January
    Top to bottom:
    Neck 19
    Chest 52
    Arms 18
    Waist 46
    Thigh 26

6'0 male
    265 pounds

Really trying to learn nutrition part of things anything helps

Breakfast:6am
    2 whole eggs with 4 egg whites
    2 peices of bacon

Snack:9am
    Scope protein
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    2 cups coconut milk unsweetened

Lunch:12
    Chicken breast with noodles and sauce (Alfredo or tomato sauce)
    1 cup chopped cucumber
    1 banana
    3/4 cup of cottage cheese

Snack:3
    1 cup Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup granola

Supper:6
    8 once steak
    1 cup carrots raw
    Baked potato

Workout 8

Post shake
    2 scopes protein powder
    Mix with 1 cup coconut milk
    1/2 cup of frozen fruit.

I don't have a food almanac yet but I will be getting one soon. I am trying to cut weight and keep as much muscle mass as possible. Any advice will be great thanks.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    drop the bacon, coconut milk, noodles and sauce.

before breakfast do about an hour of fasted cardio, walk/jog/run/swim/bike anything that takes your fancy..

EngineeredMayhem is offline New Member
    Dieting for a bulk or a cut is all about calorie intake. There are several ways to estimate your calorie needs. Check for the sticky above titled: TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure

That should provide you with a good starting point. From there you can adjust your calorie needs for your goals. Speaking of goals, what do you have in mind? Lose 20 pounds? Lose 100 pounds? The more specific you can be the easier it is to help. June is still seven months away, more than enough time to diet.

Get your calories sorted the best you can and then post back. I am sure there are plenty of people willing to help out!

ok so my TDEE is 3770 (I assume that i calculated right)

My goals are not really weight on the scale as much as it is BF% / The way i look. I would like to be under 20%.
    I do not know Exactly what i am at now, But i assume it is well over 30%. So i guess on a weight number being that i am 265 now i would assume that getting to 225-230 wouldn't be unrealistic in the 7 months(Or i am hoping).

I have been lurking the forum looking at the food sections. I guess i am more looking at what is best for me? some sort of direction really, what sort of intake levels should i be at? as in the amount of carbs and when./kinds of fats/ anything helps.

Hope that i gave enough info, if there is anything else needed just let me know, thanks in advance!

TDEE 3770 / EER 3,599 ~ 3,700 calories
    (EER = Estimated Energy Requirement, I have used this in class before and always like to check a couple formulas to get a better estimate)

15% Deficit = -555 cals
    20% Deficit = -740 cals

Generally speaking, one pound of body fat is approx. 3,500 calories. A 500cal/day deficit x 7 days a week should net a 1 lb/week loss in body weight. If you started with this November 1, 2012 and finished June 1, 2013 you would have just over 30 weeks or 30 lbs net loss. Things don’t always work out quite like they do on paper but this should be a good starting point.

I listed a 15 and 20% deficit above as both are used pretty commonly. For simplicity sake, I would start by cutting 700 calories (approx. 19%). This gives you 3,000 calories to work with. Try this for the first month and keep track of your progress. If you are not losing as much weight as you would like, cut an additional 250cal/day and try that for a few weeks. Continue with this process throughout your cut and you should be able to reach sub 20% BF or about 225 lbs no problem.

Determining your macros will also take a bit of guess and check but always keep in mind that protein becomes more important for maintaining lean muscle mass the fewer calories you are taking in. A 40/40/20 split is a common recommendation (P/C/F) but again to keep things simple I would say start with 40/37/23 giving you the following:

Macros – 300g protein / 280g carbs / 75g fats.

Plan a diet that is relatively simple, easy to prepare in advance and meets the above macros. Don’t wait for everything to be perfectly put together before you get started. Work with what you have done already and continue to post any questions you come across along the way.

Hope this helps!

This information is gold, thanks.

I checked the numbers using today as an example and compared them to this outline, I am def. a little off
    Goal 3000 cal 300/280/75 P/C/F
    Today 2669 cal 179.2/236.9/110.1

so looks like i have some homework to do.
    I will get the old pen and paper going and post a new diet plan later, Thanks again!

ickythump is offline Member
    Best of luck buddy, congratulations on getting hitched! Keep diet in check and you'll like how you look for the photos, most important part of the fitness is diet IMO

so here is a question.

When figuring out fat content(looking at nutritional content) where does saturated fat go on the list? do i add it to the regular fat content?

GluteStriations is offline New Member
    The first fat category you see, is the total. The sub headings are just what categories of fat that it is all divided into.

^What he said. When you’re looking at a nutrition label you will generally see Total Fat in bold at the top which is then broken down into 1-4 different types of fat.

The first type is usually Saturated Fat. This is generally considered an ‘unhealthy fat’ but your body does need a small amount. Try not to make it your main source of fats.

The second is usually Trans Fat. It is also generally considered an ‘unhealthy fat’. Try to avoid it where you can.

Next are Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated Fats, sometimes listed together as Unsaturated Fats. These are the fats usually considered ‘healthy fats’. The bulk of your fats should be fats of this type if possible.

All four types of fats are 9 calories per gram and will be listed under your fat macros.

To give you some general guidelines to help in your search for fats; Saturated and Trans fats are most commonly found in animal products and are usually solid at room temperature. Mono and Polyunsaturated Fats are most commonly found in plant products and are usually liquid at room temperature.

PS. Congrats! How could I forget that :P

Thread Information