Thread: Sauces

xenithon is offline Member

Sauces

Hiya all,

I just wanted to check if the sauces available nowadays are okay for cooking/marinating - in terms of fats, salt and sugar content. The types I am talking about are things like:

cihlli sauce
    roasted pepper sauce
    worchestire sauce
    soy sauce
    tabasco sauce
    jalapeno sauce

The problem is I do not want to add too much fat OR unneccessary sugar OR super high sodium contents to my cooking, and many times I see that some sauces have like 500mg sodium PER SERVING, some have 35% fat, some have 25% carbs from sugars etc. Which ones do you guys know of which can be considered 'free food' or any other alternatives to use as good marinates (dry meat is pissing me the hell off ) also, please try include the TYPE of sauce, not the name or brand, cause here in south africa you don't get that heavy branding that there is in USA and Europe (I wish we did though).

Thanks!

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    You can find some low sodium/sugar/fat sauces on this site.

http://www.mrspice.com/
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Can't get those :(

cause here in south africa you don't get that heavy branding that there is in USA and Europe (I wish we did though).
    I can't get those things here, that's why I asked if there are any types of sauces, not brands

If I wanted those it would cost me like $4 for the bottle, and about $25 for customs + shipping!

bump for me

I am trying more and more to spice up my daily food regimen. Lately I have used a lot or real spices which I buy and grind up, like cumin and coriander seeds, mustard powder, dry chilli, turmeric, cardamon, fenugreek etc. The main problem is that you need some sort of liquid to help them go over meats and keep them moist! I can use olive oil in my <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>/fat meals, but in my p/c meals I am trying to cut all fat, and besides lemon juice which I am getting sick of I am trying to find some alternatives. Unfortunately I cannot get low-salt soy sauce here, and worchestire sauce (sp?) is also high in salt. Any ideas??

PS. also do not want extra carbs and sugars, so things like teriyaki sauce are also a no go
    Last edited by xenithon; 04-26-2003 at 01:06 AM.

arby is offline Associate Member
    Walden Farms is a large food company that makes sugar free sauces. I believe they still have some sodium though. They do have sugar-free BBQ sauce but my local Walmart carries only their Ranch dressing. What doesn't make sense to me in regard to the sodium content is how right next to the Ranch they have a salt "shaker" that says salt-free.

once again - please try not to mention brands - I live in South Africa so probably cannot get 99% of the things you'd mention. If possible, I am trying to find actual raw products, not brands

Thread Information