Thread: Oatmeal Answers

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel

Oatmeal Answers

This was an interesting FAQ on the nutrition of oatmeal at the quaker site. Seems the quick and instant versions are the same they are just cut into smaller chuncks or slices although they do add some addtional things in it is still the same oat.

Frequently Asked Questions:
    What is the difference between Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick Quaker Oats?
    Quaker Old Fashioned Oats are whole oat groats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick Quaker Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster.

How does Instant Quaker Oatmeal differ from Old Fashioned Quaker Oats and Quick Quaker Oats?
    Instant Quaker Oats use the exact same oats, only they are rolled a little bit thinner and cut finer so that they cook very quickly. Additionally, they have some flavoring ingredients added.

I'm making a recipe that calls for oats. Can I use the instant type?
    Not unless a recipe specifically calls for use of instant oats, don't use them as they contain additional flavorings.

What oat is best for baking, quick or old fashioned?
    These oats can be used interchangeably in most recipes -- it just depends upon the results you are looking for. If you want something that looks very whole grain and is very chewy, you'll want to use old fashioned. On the other hand, quick oats are cut smaller and are less noticeable in the recipe.

Can oats be eaten raw?
    Yes, oats can be eaten without cooking. For example, there are a number of no-bake cookies containing oats that are very popular. However, because some individuals have more sensitive digestive tracts, it is a good idea to introduce raw oats to your diet slowly and to drink some fluids when eating the oats.

Does Oatmeal contain oat bran?
    Yes. Oatmeal is a whole grain cereal. Approximately one-third of each whole grain oat is the bran portion. Therefore, every time you eat Old Fashioned or Quick Quaker Oats, you're eating oat bran.

If oatmeal contains oat bran, why isn't oat bran listed on the label?
    Old Fashioned and Quick Quaker Oats contain one ingredient: whole rolled oats. Since oat bran is a natural portion of the rolled oat, it is not technically considered a separate ingredient. To identify products containing oat bran, look not only for oat bran, but also for rolled oats and whole oat flour on the ingredient label.

Why are there 3 grams of fat in a serving of oats?
    Fat is a naturally occurring nutrient in all grains, most of which is located in the germ portion of the whole grain kernel. It contains the many vitamins, minerals, and proteins necessary for the grain to grow. Most of the fat is unsaturated.

Do oats contain cholesterol?
    No. Cholesterol is found only in foods of animal origin. The only foods that contain cholesterol come from or are made from animals or mammals. An easy way to remember what does or does not contain cholesterol is to ask your self if the food came from something that walks or swims. If it does, then it contains cholesterol.

Do oats reduce cholesterol?
    Yes. The FDA has carefully reviewed 40 years of research and has concluded that eating oats may reduce the risk of heart disease.

How do oats reduce cholesterol?
    Oatmeal is the only major grain that has been proven to help reduce cholesterol. Oat soluble fiber mixes with cholesterol-based bile acids in the digestive tract and prevents them from being absorbed. The oat fiber then carries them out of the body. In response, the liver pulls cholesterol out of the bloodstream to replace these bile acids. Cholesterol levels then drop.

How much oatmeal do I need to eat a day to reduce my cholesterol?
    The FDA suggests that you need 60 grams of oatmeal daily. This would be about one and one- half servings (one large bowl) of cooked Old Fashioned or Quick oatmeal. If you're eating Instant Quaker Oatmeal you'll need about 3 pouches.

How much can I expect my cholesterol to drop if I eat one and one-half servings of oatmeal every day?
    It depends upon a number of factors, including what other foods you eat, how much you exercise, and your baseline cholesterol level before you modified your diet.

Can oatmeal help reduce blood pressure?
    Since the late 1970's 18 studies have examined the relationship between dietary fiber and blood pressure. In the majority of intervention studies, blood pressure was reduced -- regardless of age, weight or other factors -- and the reductions were in response to the increase in fiber intake. The studies showing significant blood pressure reductions involved increased intake of soluble fiber. More studies are currently underway to validate the impact of oat consumption in lowering blood pressure.

I heard that oats can help you lose weight. Is that true?
    Some emerging research suggests that eating oats may help control appetite. The soluble fiber in oats and oat bran absorbs a considerable amount of water, significantly slowing down the digestive process. The result: we feel full longer. A number of clinical studies since the early 1960's have evaluated dietary fiber and support that some fiber sources, those which contribute significant amounts of soluble fiber such as oatmeal, are effective aids in enhancing satiety (fullness). To the extent that feeling full prevents one from taking in more calories, this could contribute to weight loss.

Does any nutrition loss occur while cooking oats?
    No. All liquid is absorbed by the oatmeal or oat bran while cooking. Therefore, no liquid containing vitamins and minerals is poured from the oatmeal/oat bran prior to eating.

From where do the calories come in a serving of oatmeal?
    Nutrient # Grams Calories/Gram Total Calories
    Complex Carbohydrates 26 4 104
    Simple Carbohydrates 1 4 4
    Protein 5 4 20
    Fat 2.5 9 23

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll bump it.

Pain

thegame01 is offline Member
    good read bro

Bump

GZ

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    oatmeal tastes like shit. lol

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    Oatmeal tastes good, now cottage cheese, that tastes like shit...

this was an interesting read... you'd never guess so many questions could arise about OATMEAL, lol

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if its just me or not, but this is something i noticed. At school they had like straight up oats, i think tobey referred to em as steel oats or irish oats in a post a while back. Anyways, these things tasted pretty bad but they gave me such and incredible boost in energy that seemed to last over the next 4-5 hrs or so.

Anyways, i went to the store to pick up some oats, and bought some of the quaker original oats, and to make it simple, they don't do shit for me, i don't feel any energy at all from them. I mean its like they are 2 completely different foods altogether.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents, so from a personal experience, i think that article is right when it says there is no difference between instant and "old fashioned" oats, because i have noticed no difference when i have eaten the 2 types, but there is a huge difference from straight up natural oats and quaker oats.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Oats are great..I love them and it is hard to live without them...to many carbs for my current diet! Has anyone eaten Wheat Germ?

Thread Information