xenithon is offline Member

PostWorkout Nutrition and Before Bed

Hi all,

I have two questions with regards to nutrition. They are fairly detailed, pretty much because I have put in quite a bit of thought and research before passing it on as a thread, so hopefully they come out clear and concise enought Also thanks to those who read it all: I could have put it in separate posts but thought it might be better as one.

Background: I am 20, about 1.8m tall, about 70kg. I did a huge amount of research and experimenting with my diet to get to a happy medium, which I am at now. I am pretty much just maintaining, or adding lean mass slowly but surely, as long as there is no more fat gain I am happy.

Firstly: postworkout. I currently have a shake consisting of 40g dextrose, with 40g protein coming from whey. Post postworkout (1 hour later) I have a meal with lean protein, and a lot of fibrous vegetables. A few months ago I used to have lean protein with clean carbs, but I decided to cut them out to try assist in maintaining leanness. I am not gaining any fat, and some people even say I am starting to lose a bit of weight. Do you think I should start re-introducing carbs post PWO. Example, I would have lean chicken breasts with oats, or wholewheat pasta, or brown rice, sweet potato etc. If so, how much should I have?? The only other carbs I get in the day are 40g at breakfast and 40 PWO, so I was thinking starting with just 20g PPWO, and builiding it up slowly till i get to around another 40g, so its a total of 120g for the (I don't really count the fibrous veges I have in the rest of the day).

Secondly: before bed. I normally have 35-40g protein from a blended protein, along with 10-15g flax oil. It works great for now, and must say I look forward to it since it make it with little water and it turns out a delicous pudding like meal. Problem: cost. I am not in a situation now to afford both the whey for after workouts and this protein, so may need to switch. My question is: what have you guys found with regards to protein supplement vs, real food before bed. I have always thought (perhaps its only psychological) that protein powder will aid in maintaining leanness over having 'real' food. If I have to have real food, what should I have?? Tuna, lean meats, eggs?? I would have cottage but 2 problems with that is 1. I am trying to avoid dairy (or is that also a psychological fear, that dairy makes you 'smooth' and not cut) and 2 I can't get any decent cottage here. Honestly! They all have only about 10g protein and about 5g carbs per 100g (when I was overseas I had ones with like 18g protein and 2g carb). What alternatives do you guys recommends?

Thanks for any input!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well 1 stick with the post workout shake, but your first pwo meal you want chicken and white rice. I also have a second pwo meal consisting of chicken and white rice again. Then my 3rd meal I'll have protein and fats with no carbs.

Second: Buy a container of whey protein and use it for your post workout shake and any other time shake, you'll just have to add the dextrose to it pwo. Also for real food before bed try a can of tuna or egg white or egg white omllette with a spoon of hot sauce or something. Even some chicken breast before bed is ok. Just no carbs or as little as possible.

Domestic is offline Associate Member
    my PWOmeal consists of 2g carbs and 136g of Protein...

ABB Pure Pro Drink = 40g of Protein
    12oz Turkey = 96g of Protein

my 4th meal will take place after my PWOmeal and it will consist of about: 80g of Carbs and about 69g of Protein.

xenithon is offline Member
    thanks for the replies. as i mentioned, I do get a large thing of whey for PWO. there's really no decent cottage here (nutritional values are all messed up) so trying to find an alternative.

anyone else got any advice??
    thanks

Thread Information