PeteyP is offline Junior Member

newbie diet question.

Ok so I have got to get this BF down . So my thoughts are i would like to maintain as much muscle as possible so my concerns are how should i split my carbs proteins and fats? I'm trying to put together a diet plan now i see that traditionally you run a 40/40/20 split and then manipulate it to your individual needs but i have never done this before and I'm a little stumped on this part.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    pete welcome man!

read this:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.UPCaVW_edP8

what r ur complete stats? age weight height bf%??

have u been lifting and doing cardio at all up to this point? if so what have u been doing?

what has ur diet looked like thus far?

Im 29 5' 10" 240 i lift four days for one to one and a half hours and i was running until the holidays but starting monday i will run 2.5 miles 3days a week on my off days. might even throw some cardio in at the end of my lifts for about 20 depending on time . My work days are 14 hours long makes it a little ruff sometimes. As far as diet not on one now and not 100% on bf but i would guess around 25-30% going to check it tomorrow. Im trying to figure out how to set it up before i try to put together a meal plan.

hey man i know about long work days trust me! i log about 3000 hrs per year working and that doesnt count travel to and fro or lunch!

as far as cardio how long does it take u to run 2.5 miles?

i suggest posting a pic so we can ballpark ur bf%.. how do u plan on getting it tested? ill post a pic for u to see where u think ur at.

did u read the sticky? good maintenance cals formula (LBM x 15)

hypothetically if u were indeed 240lbs 30%bf itd look like this:

240 x .7(%LBM) = 168 (lbs LBM)

168 x 15 = 2520cals (rough maintenance)

from here u would create a deficit. considering u are carrying a pretty large amount of fat u prob dont have to make a great deficit to see results. u want to leave a lot of room for changes down the road when ur progress slows. lets see where ur bf comes out and we can go from there.

posting a pic would help u just make sure we can see u well in decent lighting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newbie diet question.-bodyfat.jpg  

The run takes about 20 to 30 minutes including cool down and stretching after. Its not a blinding speed but enough to get my heart rate up and keep it up. Well maybe my bf is more between 30 and 35. I was going to use a tape measure and use the formula the army uses. I will try to get a pic and post it soon. yes i read that sticky. I have Made all the calculations Except I did it based on activity not BF%. I really don't think my LBM would be that low but hey no way to know for sure until i check it. I really would like to get this off very quickly and I'm extremely dedicated and motivated to do so. If I try to loose it too fast will I loose my muscle?
    Last edited by PeteyP; 01-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyP View Post
    The run takes about 20 to 30 minutes including cool down and stretching after. Its .ot a blinding speed but enough to get my heart rate up and keep it up. Well maybe my bf is more between 30 and 35. I was going to use a tape measure and use the formula the army uses. I will try to get a pic and post it soon.
    yeh forget the tape. pic would be better. with it that high a ballpark will suffice. i think ur problem has probably been diet anyways my man! and maybe not enuff cardio! i think just getting ur diet cleaned up and u moving more is gonna show some good progress for awhile. i dont even think ur gonna need much of a deficit.

like i said i would leave a lot of room for changes down the road. clean up diet and increase cardio will be a great first step!

if u dont like running or cant run for linger than 20mins i suggest u find something that u can do for longer. u need to be at 45mins 5-6 days per week. running is great and i love it but it is hard on the joints and no more effective (at a jogging pace IMO) than anything else. the key to cardio i have come to learn is not how much u suffer while doing it but keeping ur heart rate at a specific rate for a specific duration.

elliptical is awesome and what i use 90% of the time. i started at 26.6%bf and am below 10% now..

get the pic up and we can get ur cals set. from there u can take ur best shot at posting a good diet and ill straighten it out for u!

now get to work!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-11-13.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	131729
    Ok there it is! I have no problem running I have got to now I enjoy it. I know the problem has been diet.... there is no doubt in my mind! I want to get it down and then maybe run a nice bulk cycle before the summer! ohh yea and I could always use more Cardio. what I really need is a day that is two hours longer!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. well how horrible would it be for me to do that type of cardio on my lift days? I was thinking i Could keep my run 3 days and then could do the other 45 min cardio at the gym on three days. what do you think ? I can extend my run also. I have never Dieted the "right way" before! Cant wait to get started it will definitely be a lifestyle change for me! Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!

lets put u at 32%bf..

240 x .68 = 163.2lbs LBM

163.2 x 15 = 2448cals

2400cals
    50/30/20 pro/carb/fat
    300g pro
    180g carb
    53g fat

post a diet hitting these macros. u can have carbs in meals 1, pre workout, post workout (at 60g each meal)

dont worry about counting veggie carbs for now

i suggest 5-6 meals.. post meal times as well as workout time..

use this format: (im not saying u have to eat at these times or work out at this time just use this format and include the times convenient to u)

(0700) meal1: .................

(1030) meal2: .................

(noon) Lift

(1330) meal3: .....................

(1600) meal4: .....................

(1900) meal5: ......................

(2100) meal6: ......................

total cals
    total pro'
    total carbs
    total fat

if ur not familiar with cal counting apps get familiar.. i use caloriecountdotcom

others like myfitnesspal

others like livestrongdotcom

find one, get familiar, figure it out, post ur diet!

day one

(0500) meal1: 50/60/9 Cals 521

(0830) meal2: 50/0/9 Cals 281

(noon) meal3: 50/0/9 Cals 281

(1430) meal4: 50/0/9 Cals 281

(1700) meal5: 50/60/9 Cals 521

(1930) LIFT

(2100) meal6: 50/60/8 Cals 512

total cals 2397
    total pro 300
    total carbs 180
    total fat 53

How do you make a meal plan without pulling your hair out!

warlockjmr is offline Junior Member
    When I made mine I found it easier to work backwards from each macro starting with what I wanted to be my priority.

Protein was used first, I then worked out how much chicken/beef/shakes I needed to get to my total,
    I then added up whatever carbs and fat was in that and took that away from what ever I had on my fat and carb totals
    I then sorted my fat out and then added rice and milk (PWO shakes I know its a weakness) to sort out my simple and complex carbs.

I'm a boring dude though and tend to eat the same thing every day to keep it simple.

Next crazy question..... How can anyone afford to eat like this ? Is there a cheaper way to get all of your proteins? I already have 3shakes a day in my plan is it ok to add more and cut back on the meats?

Thank you for your help warlock

EverettCD is offline Member
    When running gets old I suggest getting a bike. When I feel like mixing up my cardio (stair climber & elliptical gets old after a while) I will get on my mountain bike & hit one of the local trails.

It's very low impact compared to running. I don't run anymore since I have had two surgeries on my left knee.

warlockjmr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteyP View Post
    Next crazy question..... How can anyone afford to eat like this ? Is there a cheaper way to get all of your proteins? I already have 3shakes a day in my plan is it ok to add more and cut back on the meats?
    To be honest eating healthily is never going to be that cheap. There are things you can do to make it a bit cheaper though. Frying steak is damned cheap and a good source of your fats and protein, like £3-4 for 600g. Chicken breasts are expensive but you can get cheaper by buying frozen. I however bought two bags of frozen chicken at 1kg bags and once I'd defrosted them ended up with half that in actual chicken so its not that great.

Frozen veg is cheaper as well than fresh and is easier to prepare for me as I just whack in a bowl and nuke for five minutes, gives me the veg I need for two meals.

From what I know actual food is better than shakes, quite a few of the guys on these forums don't use shakes at all and get their protein just from meat sources. I use shakes as a quick way to get quick absorbing protein into me after a work out and although in the past have used them for meal replacement my guts tend to take the punishment.

Thread Information