Thread: cal vs cal

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"

cal vs cal

This has probably been discussed but....when speaking specificly about weight loss and not about nutrition. Is 500 cals from good food more effective than 500 cals from McDonalds. Again...just from a simple weight loss aspect?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    This has probably been discussed but....when speaking specificly about weight loss and not about nutrition. Is 500 cals from good food more effective than 500 cals from McDonalds. Again...just from a simple weight loss aspect?
    Oh man... this will surely start a war!!

I'll try and keep my opinion on this simple - you are what you eat, plain and simple. From a 'weight' loss standpoint - yes, a calorie is a calorie. 500 cals from Big Mac's is no different than 500 cals from boneless skinless chicken breast. A person in a deficit will lose 'weight'. However, the composition of said weight will 100% be determined by nutritional value. I'm interested in losing bodyfat, not weight. Remember that we can create fat cells but we CANNOT DESTROY THEM (surgery aside)!!! If you load up on junk and store fat in the short term, even if only to burn that same fat later in the day (because at the end of the day, literally and figuratively, you're eating less than you require), you risk creating new fat cells and I believe that has a detrimental effect on physique.

This is why I stand by my opinion that meal timing does play a role in bodybuilding.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 01-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    ^^well gb pretty much covered it..

logic should be enuff to tell anyone if they eat 2500cals worth of krispy kreme doughnuts everyday they are not gonna look like they would if those same 2500cals were properly set up with good food..

IMO in the short term (here and there) this could be used to cheat but thats where it would end with me.. u know have a day here and there to eat what u wanted.. all this would depend on ur specific goals, timeline, and current experience and body composition..

I should clarify the reason for the discussion. My wife spent abot 3 years losing 80lbs. She has learned to eat much better and routine excersise is now part of here life for the last 6-7 years. Unfortunatly along with her weight loss and healthier lifestyle she earned a bonus prize...hypoglycemia! She has been dealing with it for a cpl of years and it seems to be getting harder to manage and more frequent. She had blood work done a cpl weeks ago and her glucose level was in normal range (I believe). This morn. she had to fast again and do more bloods followed by a glucose load and more blood. Fasting nearly kills her...literally! I had to do a sternum rub on her one day after she had not eaten enough, just so I could dump sugar water in her and bring her around!

She was very weak after the testing and went to Mcdonalds. I met her there and she had an oatmeal and some choco milk. We have been trying to pinpoint the cause of the hypo as far as if it's a diffiecency of carbs or protein or what? We started lloking at the Mcd's menu that now has all food cals listed. She is still always trying to lose a few more pounds and we discussed if it's simply cals in and cals out or if the calorie sources play an overall roll in weight (or fat loss).

slimshady01 is offline Senior Member
    Layne Norton who backs everything up with science says for weight loss it doesn't matter but to make sure u count fiber as a macro which makes it harder.. From a health standpoint obvously u will have better micro nutrients with healthier "clean" foods.. But weight loss it won't matter.. I've tried both

But I'm not talking just calories but keeping your macros on point as well.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    yes the type of cals macros will play a role to an extent. some of it will depend on current status and goal status.

naturally someone like u (20+%bf ) trying to get to 15%bf will have a lot more leeway than someone like me (10%bf trying to get to 6% bf).. the same will apply to ur wife.. we can help though. or i will/can..

She has done great..she is always looking for that extra 5-10 lbs. She eats clean and hits her macros on her phone app (usually over in protein). It was just a good cal in cal out topic we were discussing. This hypo is kicking her ass though and she is concerned she may not be getting enough carbs yet doesnt want to get too many carbs. If anyone has suffered from this you know how frustrating it can be.

She loses a ton of weight..lives healthy and ends up with most likely a life long issue!

Thread Information