RAMMEL is offline Junior Member

Is my Post Workout Meal O.K???

As I've mentioned in my other threads (sorry for all the questions guys) I'm on a cutting diet and have been eating the following meal after my workouts, at around 6.00pm:

2 scoops Whey Protein, 400ml Skimmed Milk & 2 Shredded Wheat.
    (450 kcals, 52g Protein, 52g Carbs, 4g Fat)

My total carb intake is less than 100g on training days and less than 50g on non-training days. I do weights 3 times a week and cardio (30 mins) 4 times a week.

As I am on a moderately low carb diet to drop BF, I save most of my daily carbs for my post-workout meal, as I read that I should consume some complex carbs after workouts.

Is this right or should I ditch the shredded wheat and try to get my carbs as low as possible???

Is 6.00pm too late to be eating complex carbs, even though it's post workout???

Yung Wun is offline Member
    ask all the questions you want brotha its a place of learning
    the ratios look good, only thing is drop the skim milk and wheaties
    you want a hi G carb, look towards dextrose or something like gatorade
    you want simple carbs that can be absorbed asap.

How many grams of simple carbs should I be looking for post workout?

Would I not get some of these sipmle carbs from the skimmed milk?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    How many ranges on your bodies ability to handle carbs, I like 40-80 depending on the rest of my diet. Some people can have a huge amount and not gain fat, I am not that lucky so mine is on the lower end. Skim milk is sugar but milk has a slowing effect on digestion not what you want.

Pain

How about if I eat the 2 shredded wheat, 200ml skimmed milk & 2 scoops of whey protein (approx. 378kcals/45.2g Protein/30g Complex Carbs/12g Simple Carbs/3.7g Fat) for my breakfast at 7.30am.

As you can see, this would shift any complex carbs to the morning, rather than 6.30pm, giving me all day to burn them off - I work in an office most of the day but workout at around 4.45-6.00 (3/4 hr weights,30 mins cardio).

As for my post workout shake at around 6.30pm, would it be o.k. to have 100ml skimmed milk, 2 scoops of whey protein & 300ml water mixed with a low fat yogurt, giving me approx: 297kcals, 45.5g Protein, 23.6g Carbs (mostly simple carbs) & 2.75g Fat.

My carb intake post-workout (approx 23.6g) would consist of mainly simple carbs from the 100ml milk & low fat yogurt.

The daily amount of skimmed milk I consume would be reduced from around 800ml per day to around 300ml. Although I would not be removing all the milk from my diet, as you suggest, it is quite a reduction.

I have also dropped the pastrami late at night (9.00pm), as pain suggested in another thread, and replaced it with 2 scoops of whey protein mixed with water (156 kcals/33.2g Protein/1.9g Carbs/2.4g Fat).

Please give your opinions on my adjustments, your input is greatly appreciated.

p.s. Would the yogurt slow down digestion like the skimmed milk (with it being a dairy product) or would it be a better alternative???

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, the yogurt will slow down digestion/absorbtion, it has lactose in it which will form a paste in your stomach. I would drop it and go just whey and a simple sugar. But if you really want the dairy post workout keep it, if you are not worried about competing or anything like that then it is fine.

Pain

Thread Information