What bread to eat?

Isn't spelt grain bread very low glycemic? And Multi grain bread?

WHat do I look for to find the lowest glycemic bread? I know I can't go by some multigrain orowheat. How do I tell what the good stuff is?

demetri is offline Member
    I think as long as you're not eating too much bread (eat too much and you'll wear it) and are getting some good fats (natural peanut butter comes to mind) with it then you don't need to worry about it being that low GI.

Stay away from bleached flowers and breads that have sugar added to them and you'll be OK. Rye bread is great, as well as pumpernickel.

What about spelt?

Originally posted by Vibrantred94gt
    What about spelt?
    As long as there isn't any bleached flower or sugar in it your spelt bread should be fine.

margo is offline Female Member
    demetri!
    You are talking about eating bread with peanut butter but I´ve been reading that you shouldn´t eat carbs and fat at the same time???
    What do you think about that?
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

Originally posted by margo
    demetri!
    You are talking about eating bread with peanut butter but I´ve been reading that you shouldn´t eat carbs and fat at the same time???
    Margo
    The fats in the peanut butter moderate your insulin level. This prevents an insulin spike that could result in all those glorious carbs in the bread getting stored as fat.

I think it's very important to eat fats or fibre with your carbs. Fats keep your metabolism more level and fibre slows the absorbtion of carbs by binding to it in your digestive tract and slowing the rate at which your body will absorb the carbs. Both fats and fibre give you a chance to burn off your carbs instead of wearing them.

Why is it that you think carbs and fats shouldn't be consumed together?

Demetri

Personally I like flax & sesame seed bread I found at my supermarket.

i eat it because it tastes AMAZING, but it's nutritional value is also way cool. We're talking 5g of protein per slice!

I'll post the exact nut-value when I get home from work tonight. The stuff is good!

Red

I just bought some of that flax seed bread as well. Yummmy!!

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Hey Red, unless they're adding a bunch of stuff to that bread, you can't count that protein in the bread because it is an incomplete protein.

I personally go with whole bread. The way you figure out if it is whole or not is lookin at the amount of carbs per slice of bread. White bread has about 8-9g of carbs per slice and is very high glycemic.

Whole bread will have about ~20g of carbs or so per slice and is much lower in the glycemic index then white bread.

I know you might be thinking that you would rather have 2 slices of white bread over 1 slice of whole bread, but i find that the whole bread is more filling plus it gives me much more energy then twice the amount of white bread.

Hell no! I won't eat white bread! It has no taste! Might as well eat paper pulp.

Gimme a nice 7 or 12 grain whole wheat breat any day... yum!

Red

Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    Hell no! I won't eat white bread! It has no taste! Might as well eat paper pulp.

Red

Amen brotha!!

Originally posted by Red Ketchup

Red
    I love that Country Harvest bread! I usually buy the flax or 12 grain. Man that stuff makes great toast.

mrdraco is offline Junior Member
    I get California Style Complete Protein bread by Alvarado St. Bakery. I usually have to get it from the health food store.
    Per Slice:
    Protein: 3g
    Carb: 10g
    Fat: 1g unsaturated

Tastes good too

Originally posted by demetri

I love that Country Harvest bread! I usually buy the flax or 12 grain. Man that stuff makes great toast.
    Ah yes! Thats the one I buy!

Country harvest Flax, Flax & sesame, and the 12grain.

And it DOES make wicked wicked toast!

Red

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Some good advice here, try to stick with "grainy" breads, rye, pumpernickle, wheats (real wheat the first ingrediant should be stone ground wheat......) alpha sprout and other sprouts are pretty good. Try to go with an organic bread company too, virgina bread is my fav.

Pain

Ya, when I buy my bread it has to be organic!

Billmister is offline Member

Unhappy help me

i have a question. one of my meals a day is tuna fish with a spoon full of mayo. now i was going to add bread, and i know white is not a good choice to add to this meal. so i have a bread i ate one slice with my one can of tuna and one spoonfull of mayo. now i was eating and when i was reading the ingredients one of the things that scared me was "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" and from what i hear that is a no no... but then again i went to buy other brand of bread, and THEY ALL HAD HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP... is this normal? well anyways this is the bread that i use please let me know if it's good.

Dutch Country 100% whole wheat bread - stone ground

Servinge size:1 slice (38g)
    fat-1g carbs-18g
    cholesterol-0mg sugars-3g
    sodium-180mg protein-4g

is this good to eat with my one can of tuna in water with one spoon mayo? i'm only eatting one slice.

A lot of them add something sweet to improve the flavor. A little sugar never hurt anyone. A lot will. The bread I buy has a little molasses in it but it's one of the last ingredients (therefore one of the least abundant).

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    demetri!
    Margo
    I just don't understand it when people think you need to separate carbs and fat. You think Lee Priest and all the other big ass freaks are doing this nit picky shit? Hell no, they just EAT BIG all the time!

Now, this is coming from my perspective which is that of a bodybuilder trying to pack on more muscle...but I assume EVERYONE is trying to add more muscle
    Last edited by pumpseeker; 05-30-2003 at 01:19 PM.

Billmister is offline Member
    even in the off season? anyone want to answer my question i posted on top... please= )

Well I read it somewhere on this board that you shouldn´t consume carbs and fat at the same time, that´s why I wanted to get your opinion!!!
    I bake my own bread and it is made of whole wheat flour and semolina flour
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

I bake my own bread and it is made of whole wheat flour and semolina flour
    Margo
    Sounds yummy. Do you use a bread machine or in the oven the old fashioned way?

I just bake them in the oven the old fashioned way... I haven´t tried a bread machine yet...!
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

Thread Information