Thread: Anabolic IIFYM?

Placebro is offline Junior Member

Anabolic IIFYM?

I am currently 22-so I have a couple years before I go down the path-but I am seriously considering it, but I've been wondering about the diet aspect.

I have been using "If It Fits Your Macros" and counting calories/macros for about two years-training for about 9. I have seen great success in both leaning out and gaining muscle in their respective bulk/cut phases-the numbers are on point. I was wondering however if the same diet strategy will work when using AAS....if you say no, could you please explain your reasoning-after searching on here, I have seen vastly different opinions, however many of the negative answers have relied heavily on what seems to be broscience.

Also, if the IIFYM holds true to anabolics, is there a calculation or other information to figure out how the macros would change once you start a cycle?

Thanks guys

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Placebro View Post
    I am currently 22-so I have a couple years before I go down the path-but I am seriously considering it, but I've been wondering about the diet aspect.

I have been using "If It Fits Your Macros" and counting calories/macros for about two years-training for about 9. I have seen great success in both leaning out and gaining muscle in their respective bulk/cut phases-the numbers are on point. I was wondering however if the same diet strategy will work when using AAS....if you say no, could you please explain your reasoning-after searching on here, I have seen vastly different opinions, however many of the negative answers have relied heavily on what seems to be broscience.

Also, if the IIFYM holds true to anabolics, is there a calculation or other information to figure out how the macros would change once you start a cycle?

Thanks guys
    So long as you're using IIFYM in the manner it was intended then yes it will continue to work on Anabolics. There's no real calculations on how it will change, you may be able to get away with a higher surplus for bulks and larger deficit for cuts but it's dependent on many factors that we can't control so your best bet is to start off doing the same and adjusting as you go along based on results.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Agreed with Docd

Placebro is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    So long as you're using IIFYM in the manner it was intended then yes it will continue to work on Anabolics. There's no real calculations on how it will change, you may be able to get away with a higher surplus for bulks and larger deficit for cuts but it's dependent on many factors that we can't control so your best bet is to start off doing the same and adjusting as you go along based on results.
    Thanks! Just to clarify-what do you mean by manner in which it was intended? I am guilty of eating a lot of "dirty foods", but I still fall within my macros every day.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Placebro View Post
    Thanks! Just to clarify-what do you mean by manner in which it was intended? I am guilty of eating a lot of "dirty foods", but I still fall within my macros every day.
    IIFYM (as it was intended): Follow a diet regimen by which you're consuming relatively nutrient dense foods in order to hit your daily micro and macro nutrient requirements. If you have 'spare' calories left over and can 'fit in' some 'fun' foods, by all means, have fun. Hence, IIFYM.

IIFYM (as most lazy dieters who don't want to work hard define it): protein shakes and pop tarts/ice cream to reach your daily caloric/macro goals, with little to no regard for micronutrient intake.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    IIFYM (as it was intended): Follow a diet regimen by which you're consuming relatively nutrient dense foods in order to hit your daily micro and macro nutrient requirements. If you have 'spare' calories left over and can 'fit in' some 'fun' foods, by all means, have fun. Hence, IIFYM.

IIFYM (as most lazy dieters who don't want to work hard define it): protein shakes and pop tarts/ice cream to reach your daily caloric/macro goals, with little to no regard for micronutrient intake.
    ^^^this times 10000. IIFYM is not an excuse to eat like a glutton. As GB put it, the majority of your diet should remain whole and minimally processed foods as these foods usually have great satiating power, micronutrient content, fiber content, etc. Once your needs have been met for minimum requirements of macros and micros, you can substitute sources of food for 'fun' foods as GB calls them.

Thread Information