RAMMEL is offline Junior Member

Talking Carbs for gaining LEAN mass....Tips Please

I'm looking to start a diet plan in 2 weeks time to help me gain as much lean mass as I can in time for the start of the rugby season at the beginning of September.

Having recently reduced my b/f to around about 16% I am obviously reluctant to let it increase by much. My job is pretty sedentary (I basically just sit at a desk all day 8.00am-4.30pm) and I really do not want to gain much fat, therefore I'm planning on eating around 2g of Carbs per pound, and 1.5g Protein per pound.

Is this adequate carbs for lean mass gains?

I've also read in another thread that to control insulin spikes (which can lead to fat storage) I should intake carbs at only 3 meals per day?

Is this correct or am I better off spreading my carbs equally throughout the day?

If I were to follow the '3 carb meals a day' rule, I was thinking of consuming the bulk of my complex carbs in meals 1 & 3 (7.30am & 12.00 lunchtime). Then I would consume the rest as simple carbs after my gym workout or rugby training. This would mean consuming approx. 130g complex carbs at 7.30am, 130g complex carbs at 12.00 lunchtime and then 80g simple carbs at either 6.00pm or 8.30pm (depending whether I am at the gym or rugby training that day).

Have I got the right idea here??? Is it ok to consume that many simple carbs after rugby training at 8.30pm in the evening?

Also, my rugby training sessions last from around 6.30pm till around 8.30pm and are pretty intense, so should I be consuming carbs before these sessions as well?

Apologies for the length of the thread but I've been concentrating so much on gaining cutting information recently that I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to adding carbs into my diet. Any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Also, would it be a good idea to consume some protein & fats (Eggs maybe) before bed, at around 9.00pm???

sigrabbit is offline Member
    I would move the 7:30 carbs to a second meal after your workout.

dangit is offline Member
    I usually have a bit of more simple carbs first thing in the morning with my breakfast to kick start my day.

breakfast- big glass of pure orange juice or a big orange and a homade pancake made of 1 cup oatmeal, 8 egg whites, a bit of sugar twin and some chocolat protein in there

The rest of my meal are mostly 30-40 grams of protein with mostly complex carbs. two of my following meals comprise of :

-2 big nuke potatoes (with skins) chopped up after and mixed in with brocolli and a can of tuna or a chicken breast. Add miss dash seasoning for tast. No butter or cream or crap like that for the potatoes.

Of course the after workout drink will have a ton of simple carbs and protein.

I don't worry too much about the meal after my workout. Just don't try to mix high fats with something made out of simple carbs.

The last meal before bed time is usually 1 cup of oatmeal mixed with some protein. I don't think it's bad to have carbs at night as long as it's complex ones. I might have an apple or two after supper too since theres lots of fiber in them and they won't really spike your sugar levels.

If I'm going to cheat and have junk, then I'd rather do it early in the day before supper. That way, it has a better chance of getting burned off before going to bed.

Here are some good sources of protein:

Turkey Breast
    Protein Powder
    Chicken Breast
    Tuna
    Sole or Flounder
    Red Snapper
    Perch
    Halibut
    Egg Whites

Complex carb examples:

Oatmeal
    Rice (whole grain brown)
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Baked Potato
    Rice Cake
    Grits
    Cream of Wheat
    Farina
    Pasta

Good sources of fiber:

Broccoli
    Kale
    Spinach
    Bell Peppers
    Cauliflower
    Brocco-Flower
    Green Leafy Lettuce
    Romaine Lettuce
    Collard Greens

Cheers for the replies.

Any idea about the other questions I asked???

I know a lot of this is trial and error, and that I need to find out what works for me, but I won't have much time before the season in which to gain weight, so I obviously want to get things correct as soon as possible.

All replies are appreciated. When I come up with a basic diet plan I'll let you all have a look at it so you can keep me right.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    You pretty much got it, its trial and error.

As far as your diet goes, I can't see why you would want to use a lean mass type of diet. As long as you keep your diet clean and get plenty of good carbs in you will be fine cuz of all the hi intensity rugby. If you're eating clean, i doubt you would even be able to gain any fat at all since you're doin the rugby.

Thread Information