CarbonCopy is offline Member

Why can't I lose this fat...

Hey guy's I had a few diet questions for you. First the goal of my diet was to tighten up and lose the gut. 2nd to keep the size I have and maybe even gain some size. 3rd after reaching my goal maintain that weight. Here is a quick break down of my day -

9am
    Protein drink
    2 cans of tuna (in water)
    multi vit

12pm
    2 cans of tuna (in water) and mayo
    Protein drink 2 scoops
    ALA, CLA 1000mg each
    5 slices of cheese

3pm
    Protein drink 2 scoops
    2 cans of tuna (in water) and mayo

Train HIT (cardio) 30mins
    Lift 5 sets of 5 on large muscle groups using heavy weight

4pm
    post work out protein drink 2 scoops

6pm
    Large Steak
    5-7 stems of asparagus

9pm
    Protein drink 2 scoops
    CLA, ALA 1000mg each

10pm
    Bed time

I try to stay under 45g of carbs per day for 5 days with 1 day of carb up(300g). I do HIT style training 3x per week for 30 mins and weight train 5 sets of 5 with heavy weight 2x per week. I can't seem to lose the lower ab gut for the life of me. Any idea's or diet changes you think I need to make to really bring the BF down? Thanks!

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    How many grams of carbs a day are you getting that looks like way to much, what is your weight too. Your body is probably turning that excess protein to fat, yes that can happen you can get too much protein!! Esp when cutting, when the main goal is calories in < calories out, that is what makes you lose weight.

Pain

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Lose the cheese and mayo...... how do you eat all that tuna everyday? I couldn't do it. Eat some chicken

BiosThornton is offline Junior Member
    Drink LOTS of water too.

Keightly is offline Junior Member
    TRY THIS , U MAY BE WORRIED CAUSE THERE CARBS, BUT ITS MORE TOLBERABLE AND PROB LESS CALORIES THEN WHAT UR EATING NOW
    1=1/2 OATS , PROTEIN SHAKE
    2= GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST WITH 1/2 OATS
    3= LOW SODIUM TUNA WITH JUST 2 GOOD LOW FAT MAYO ON 2 PIECES OF LOW CALORIE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
    4=PROTIEN BAR
    5=6 EGG WHITES
    6=PROTIEN SHAKE
    CARB UP EVERY 3RD DAY WITH QUALITY CARBS, ONE BAD MEAL A WEEK
    THATS JUST MO

What I don't understand is from my research on "cutting" diets they seem to stress high protein/low carbs/high fats. I was eating less carbs around 20g's per day and I really saw the fat drop off, but still I couldn't lose it from the lower abs. And going that low on the carbs I lost some muscle which I hated! My diet sucks I am sure, but I am learning. Any other input? BTW I am 190lbs 27 years old and going for the lean look, not the BB look. Thanks guys!

Peace,
    CC

Also I'd like to hear from you guys about your training while on lower cal diets because I'd hate to over train and eat up the muscle I do have. Do you think cardio 3x per week for 30-45 mins followed by 5 sets of 5 lifting is too much or not enough? Or should I split the cardio and weight lifting on to different days? What works best for you guys?

Thanks,
    CC

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I think 45g of carbs is way too much. I know most ppl say you're fine if you're under 30g carbs, but its different for everyone. I myself try to stay under 10g carbs. I go 3 low carb days then a hi carb day, than repeat.

As far as fat goes, all the fat i get in is from fish and flax seed oil. So I try to stay above at least 40g of fat every day, but its all good fats. With my protein intake, i get around 1.5 g/ lb usually.

As far as your training goes, i would do the cardio after your weight training working out instead of doing it before.

I would have a meal an hour after your postworkout shake, i think waiting 2 hrs after your post workout shake to get real food in is too long.

I would also probably dump the dairy stuff, and if you can fit some more veggies into your meals, i would also do that.

Originally posted by saboudian
    I think 45g of carbs is way too much. I know most ppl say you're fine if you're under 30g carbs, but its different for everyone. I myself try to stay under 10g carbs. I go 3 low carb days then a hi carb day, than repeat.

As far as fat goes, all the fat i get in is from fish and flax seed oil. So I try to stay above at least 40g of fat every day, but its all good fats. With my <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> intake, i get around 1.5 g/ lb usually.

As far as your training goes, i would do the cardio after your weight training working out instead of doing it before.

I would have a meal an hour after your postworkout shake, i think waiting 2 hrs after your post workout shake to get real food in is too long.

I would also probably dump the dairy stuff, and if you can fit some more veggies into your meals, i would also do that.
    50g of carbs is too much for me I can really tell I went over the next day. So do you think I should keep the fat high? Lose the mayo and cheese? Oh and as far as the tuna goes, I love it it!! Doesn't bother me at all to eat it ED.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Ya, figuring out the amount of carbs you need is just something you have to figure out on your own. I usually get about 10g of carbs on my low days, cuz i know if i go over 20g then i'm over for sure. So if i get 10g in then i have a lil bit of lee way to screw up by a few grams. BTW, i never count the carbs i get in from veggies which in my case is usually cauliflower/broccoli.

As far as keepin the fat high goes, i guess it depends on where you're at. I'm pretty close to a show, so i cut out all the unnecessary fats and made sure i was gettin plenty of good fats in (Probably 60-70g of good fats on a normal day).

If you're still droppin weight, then you can keep the mayo and cheese if you want. Once you hit a plateau, you might want to consider droppin it.

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    less than 50 g of carbs per day? that seems very low.

Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member
    Jesus, 50 a day? Im having trouble finding any food that is carb free/low carb at all.. Hell, a slice of bread has 21 carbs..

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I scoop of oats has 20g carbs, a small seving of rice has 20-30g carbs, veggies have trace amounts and are not counted towards daily totals. So theoretically, you could have oats for breakfast with egg whites, a small portion of rice with one of your meals and lots of salad and mixed veggies during the rest of your meals and be at or below 50g/day. Although I wouldn't recommedndoing this for long periods of time as you will feel run down, flat and will eventually begin to slowly lose LBM. Cycling carbs is a better option.

Bread is something you should steer clear of even if you're not watching your carb intake. Bread is very highly refined and converts to blood sugar easily. Bread and pasta are both notorius for putting on unwanted fat as they create glycogens, those glycogens that are not burned off convert to body fat to be used later. If you are bulking bread/pasta (in moderation) are ok. But if you're trying to drop fat, drop the bread!

Originally posted by Pete235
    I scoop of oats has 20g carbs, a small seving of rice has 20-30g carbs, veggies have trace amounts and are not counted towards daily totals. So theoretically, you could have oats for breakfast with egg whites, a small portion of rice with one of your meals and lots of salad and mixed veggies during the rest of your meals and be at or below 50g/day. Although I wouldn't recommedndoing this for long periods of time as you will feel run down, flat and will eventually begin to slowly lose LBM. Cycling carbs is a better option.

Bread is something you should steer clear of even if you're not watching your carb intake. Bread is very highly refined and converts to blood sugar easily. Bread and pasta are both notorius for putting on unwanted fat as they create glycogens, those glycogens that are not burned off convert to body fat to be used later. If you are bulking bread/pasta (in moderation) are ok. But if you're trying to drop fat, drop the bread!
    Hey Pete I gotta agree with you about the bread! When I eat bread I always feel bloated and I can tell I am holding water. I am doing CKD so I carb up on the weekends to around 300-400 carbs. I've been changing between 2 days of carb up to 1 day carb up just to see how I feel. I gotta say I feel better when I carb up 1 day because with 2 days of carbs I feel like it takes me until mid week to lose the water. The diet has helped a great deal, however like the title of my post I feel like I can't lose that last bit of fat from my lower abs. I think I am going to lower my dairy intake to see if that helps. Any other ideas? Thanks all!

Peace,
    CC

xplicit is offline Member
    Im italian so its so hard for me to stay away from bread and pasta. I dont know how to cook either so when no one is around and i have to make something i cook up some ziti or im making sandwichs.

Is rye bread that much better then white bread?

Also I remeber buying some wheat pasta and the nutrinal vlaes on the back were the same as the regualr pasta i eat. I cant win lol i have a little soft stomach and i know its from those 2 things. I can stay away from everythign else but bread and pasta. Can anyone give me advice on what to sub them for ??? Thanks

Thread Information