eggplant is offline Member

natural peanut butter

hi guys,erm this question may sound stupid to u all...what does natural peanut butter mean? i jus bought a jar of peanut butter which says it doesnt have salt and sugar added. Has about 17g of fat(3.5g sat) 5mg of sodium, 5g of carbs,2g of fiber,2g of sugar and 9g of protein per serving. I noticed that regular peanut butter has far more sodium..is this considered natural peanut butter? if it is, is it ok to have 1 to 2 tbsp of it before bed wif some protein on either a bulking or cutting diet?

peace,
    eggplant

BIG R is offline Member
    natural will have an oil layer on the top portion.... there will be no chmical stabalizers, like polyhydrogenated hydrocarbons. IT will taste different. Laura Scudders is the brand I buy. I would take in during the day and not right before I went to bed

R

chinups Guest
    Go to any health food store and you can get it. Even GNC has it. When u get it dump out some of that oil before you mix it up.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Big R, why not before bed. I take just a spoonfull before bed with my protein shake to try and help slow the digetion period. Is this not a good practice?

margo is offline Female Member
    So should I dump out some of the oil from the top of my peanutbutter?
    I heard that you should just stir it in because it is good fat and if you donīt the peanutbutter gets really hard!!!
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

redrock is offline Member
    Originally posted by margo
    So should I dump out some of the oil from the top of my peanutbutter?
    I heard that you should just stir it in because it is good fat and if you donīt the peanutbutter gets really hard!!!
    Margo
    I usually pour a half a tablespoon of the oil out and then mix the rest. I have poured it all out before and the pb was hard as a rock. Just mix is every once in a while. REDROCK

BIG R is offline Member

Red face

Tex,

I used to do the peanutbutter thing right before bed also only that practice was not good at all for me to get Ripped. I should have said that in my response. I was not losing any weight when I did it that way. It is very good to do when you are looking at bulking....or you have SUCH a high metabolism that you will lose muscle on a competition diet it might be a must.

Oh, and dont remove the oil it will turn into cement peanutbutter!

Peace
    R

eggplant is offline Member
    does this mean that the peanut butter i'm having now is not considered natural? it hardly has any oil..and it tastes bland..

peace,
    eggplant

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    it will say Natural on it, smuckers makes a nice brand, ingredients in natural are limited to Peanuts and some salt I believe. The first listed ingredient is always what most of the product contains. being natural pb it should contain mostly peanuts. once u buy it u stir the oil up real good into the pb and then u refrigerate.

Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member
    I've had Smuckers and Laura Scudders; I prefer the latter personally..

It -should- say natural on the jar somewhere. And with the above responce, natural peanuntbutter, as well as virtually anything else natural, doesn't have preservatives or stabalizers in it..

A lot of people say that its disgusting because the oil floats at the top of the jar, but with the partially ( or fully ) hydrogenated soybean oil, it makes the oil stay inside the peanut butter of 'regular' types.. IE Jiff, Peter Pan, etc.

Thread Information