Thread: Tuna = Mercury?

HiFi is offline Associate Member

Tuna = Mercury?

well i was reading on another forum that tuna has mercury and eating it everyday could be bad and lead to a buildup of mercury in the body over time. What do you think?

bumdart420 is offline Associate Member
    this is just my opinion but if I stopped eating all the food people said was bad for me, I would be living off air!! Eat em without fear, Im sure theres alot worse food the rest of the population puts in their mouths.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I think that you should continue to eat your tuna. I am willing to bet that you will never die of a tuna overdose

Actually the problem is that tuna is a big nasty fish, and it's real near the top of the food chain.

That means it eats all the smaller fishies it sees, and ends up ingesting everything those fishies ate. By eating tuna, you do the same.

Now having said that, I dunno about the US, but here in Canada, the quality standards for tuna are VERY high. 2 out of 5 tunas are rejected by Fisheries & Oceans Canada (and sent to Asia where standards are much lower).

Tunas for human consumption are allowed to contain a certain ppm of a variety of pollutants and those pollutants depend on where the tuna lived and what it fed on.

Should we worry about eating a lot of tuna? I don't think so.

Red

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    An interesting article:

According to a US government advisory panel, pregnant women who include too much tuna in their diet may expose their unborn babies' brains to possibly harmful levels of mercury.

However, there is no need for the women to exclude tuna altogether from their diet. Two 6-ounce cans of tuna each week is okay if tuna is the only fish they eat. One can, if other seafood is eaten which also can contain mercury.

According to estimates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, roughly 8 percent of U.S. women of childbearing age have enough mercury in their blood to be at risk of having babies with learning difficulties. And eating seafood is considered the main source of mercury contamination.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i believe its not a problem at all
    i've been eating 2-3 cans a day for more than a year now
    but then again i'm living in canada
    like Red said we gott some tight asses inspecting are foods

bumdart420 is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Red Ketchup

Now having said that, I dunno about the US, but here in Canada, the quality standards for tuna are VERY high. 2 out of 5 tunas are rejected by Fisheries & Oceans Canada (and sent to Asia where standards are much lower).

Red [/B][/QUOTE

Yeah, this is true, I knew a women who was a food inspector and the amount of food that they rejected and why was mindbogggling to me. Made me feel really comfortable about what were eating.

ColdSore is offline Banned
    I heard that also, but i live off of tuna, and have been for a while. But i do consume about 5-6 cans a day while on AS and 3-4 off. Is this a high enough amount to put me in danger???? Really i could care less, life is life and if i die from tuna....then thats just f**ked up!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Well I would say (for here in the US) 1-2 can a day would be alright, but 5-6 "could" be risky. Besides that, how in the HELL can you eat 5-6 cans a day! That's just nasty. Besides there are plenty of other protein sources, so why limit yourself?

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I think about this subject alot. I eat can after can and mercury builds up over time. I have been mixing in a lot of salmon lately.

ColdSore is offline Banned
    Tuna is just so damn easy, i do cook up chicken breasts and bring them with me. But theres no easyer way to get 31g protein than to open up a can and force it down.

Thread Information