Beethoven is offline Productive Member

Post workout nutrition

I've read for many years, and have done so btw, the post workout shake with simple carbs for replenishment. While cutting do you do this or is this over rated?

Boozer35 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I've read for many years, and have done so btw, the post workout shake with simple carbs for replenishment. While cutting do you do this or is this over rated?
    It's overrated. Simple or complex carbs won't make a difference. Taking your shake right after the gym or a few hours later won't make a difference. Etc

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's an altogether over-rated theory, in saying that however there may be some small benefits in doing so post-workout, but the same will be seen with a pre-workout shake and continuing to eat as normal post-workout.

The theory is that your muscles are starved post workout and need the protein and carbs immediately as that's when they'll best 'absorb' them.

When the actual benefit may come from eating/drinking protein and carbs immediately post-workout inducing a higher muscle protein turnover (increased muscle protein synthesis), since the protein increases muscle protein synthesis and the carbs spike insulin , preventing muscle protein breakdown.

Once again the effects may be minimal, that last 1%, and what's actually important is eating enough total protein throughout the day. 1 meal or 10, post workout or 5 hours after, it's not going to make a massive impact.

Thanks for the input.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the above posts. Havent done simple carbs post workout in years now. Makes no difference at all IMO.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    My current routine : pre work out banana
    Pwo whey isolate
    Ppwo protein and complex carbs. Proper meal.

I guess it originated from the old skool science, but in reality, the shake was moved from pre to post workout because I was hungry afterwards. The carbs and protein meal attempts to fills me up for the evening so I can sleep. But yeah so long as cals and macros are right for the day. I suppose it does question fasted am cardio

There are a lot of old school thoughts like eating carbs in the evening after 6 pm. I always thought that if it fits in your macros, does it matter?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    There are a lot of old school thoughts like eating carbs in the evening after 6 pm. I always thought that if it fits in your macros, does it matter?
    That's basically how it is, your total caloric intake and macronutrient composition (getting enough protein and fats) is essentially all that matters for body composition factors. Obviously excluding the fact you still need to eat well enough to get sufficient micros etc etc.

All the other little 'tricks' are basically all disproven by now.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    I agree with most of the above. The only time I use simple carbs now after a workout is if I'm in the loading phase of some creatine monohydrate.

75g of dextrose will spike your insulin levels but not enough to make a difference. Unless your at the level of using slin post workout stick to slow carbs to replenish glycogen levels depending on the intensity of your workout

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Funny I got into a debate at the supp store the other day about this. I just stick to my meal plan and time my eating so I eat an hour before I train. Then by the time I'm done training it's just time for my next meal. No simple carbs for me

Actually my post workout shake is a sort of treat for me. It's very healthy but feels like a cheat.

bina is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    Actually my post workout shake is a sort of treat for me. It's very healthy but feels like a cheat.
    My post workout shake is my favorite meal of the day too!! Strawberries, banana, and almonds with my protein!!

Quote Originally Posted by bina View Post
    My post workout shake is my favorite meal of the day too!! Strawberries, banana, and almonds with my protein!!
    Yeah! Mine minus the almonds. I feel so guilty. :P

Thread Information