Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 eggs a day

bermich is offline Anabolic Member

10 eggs a day

Can the body handle 10-12 whole eggs a day. I know the amino acids are not good for the liver but reports once showed the red die in M&Ms caused cancer. Reports tend to be geared towards the weak less motivated individual. Let me just say, they are a cheap source of food and help with weight gain. I really dont want to cut them out of my diet. My cholest is good by the way

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I would watch out for all that fat. But yes your body can handle that much protein, it also depends on what else you are eating. If eggs are your main source of protien you are fine, but if you are getting like 600g of protein a day you might want to rethink your diet.

hybrid is offline Member
    That is a ton of fat from the yolks. Why don't you cut down on the yolks? I eat a dozen eggs a day every day, but usually only one or two yolks. I would bet if you cut out 8 of the yolks and scramble the eggs, you would hardly notice a difference. Then you get the benefit of the eggs (protein) without the fat and cholesterol.

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    I agree with pain and hybrid...I eat 10 eggs w/ only 1 yoke every morning. Unless you want to get real fat and blow your cholesterol through the roof, I'd cut out most of the yolks bro.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I also eat at least 12 eggs a day with only one-two yolks mixed in. I also will add in a little mexican salsa and fat free cheese for some variety. As suggested previously, if you scramble them, you won't notice the loss of all the yolks. Al of those yolks are certainly not a healthy route to take.

Doc M

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    I eat 8 egg whites a day. I put them in the blender with skim milk, a banana, some ice and a couple scoops of vanilla protien powder. 100 grams of protien! It takes 3 minutes and tastes good.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    cut some of the yolks out of those babies
    but your body can easily handle ten

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking in close to 25 egg whites a day..on occasion throw in a few egg yolks, but usually none. The good stuff's in the whites, not the yolks anyway

bumdart420 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by broncojosh
    I'm taking in close to 25 egg whites a day..on occasion throw in a few egg yolks, but usually none. The good stuff's in the whites, not the yolks anyway
    Actually this isnt true at all. Throwing away the yolk means you are getting an incomplete protien intake. If the yolk is all shit, why are all of you guys talking any yolks all? What is the point of only eating one or two egg yolks?

In regards to the question: To find out weather or not your body is capable of holding onto the protien from eating an abudance of eggs is depends on how you eat them. Coooking the eggs allows them to be digested slower in your body therefore you can absorb more protien. However if you drink em (like I do, I hate chewing on 10-12 eggs), see how you feel with six at a time. Youll know how if you can handle more if you havent shit your pants 10 min after youve finished the last one. If your pants are still clean try eating a few more.

Ive been eating tons of whole eggs and my cholesterol levels have not been anything I needed to worry about but I don't believe in Yolk madness. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bumdart420; 06-22-2003 at 11:59 PM.

Actually I was more concerned about the AMINO ACIDS from the eggs. My body can handle and burn off fat very easily. Fat is not something I worry about. Yes I worry about lard from hamburger greese and stuff but, I was trying to get info on amino acids not good for the liver. Plus with dbol playing along. HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH in your opinion??
    Plus the salminilla thing. I also blend the eggs. 5 in a shake and then five in another. Sometimes more or less. Everyone tells me Im gonna get salminilla from eating raw eggs. This seems true at times. If I havent eaten any raw eggs after four days then I put them in a shake, I do get nasty cramps and diarea. Then I guess my stomache learns to adjust and cope and convert.

you will never get salminila poisoning if you check the egg first.
    if you notice any cracks no matter how small throw it away. If the egg's shell is intact dont sweat it. If you get cramps and the shits from eating eggs its cause they went through you way to fast, you'll know when you get salminilla cause it feels like someone is trying to push their finger through your gut.

Eggs are the best overall food for a bodybuilder, don't worry about cholesterol, amino acids and fat scares. If you listened to every report about a certain food being bad you wouldnt be eating much of anything, if at all!
    Last edited by bumdart420; 06-23-2003 at 12:27 AM.

tdzzii72 is offline Associate Member
    How do you find out how much protien is in one egg?

I think around 7 grams of protien and about 20 to 30 calories per egg

One large egg is generally 5 grams protien and 6 grams of fat. Of coarse this will vary slightly from egg to egg and the producers idea of what "large" really means. I've seen some "large" eggs that would barely pass for small.

One egg is is roughly 70 calories,, again varies from egg to egg and producer, so dont take the aboce numbers as scripture.

There is some misinformation floating around in this post so I want to address a few things..

First, salmonella infection has nothing to do with whether the eggshell is cracked or intact. Unlike eggborne salmonellosis of past decades, the current epidemic is due to intact and disinfected grade A eggs. Salmonella enteritidis silently infects the ovaries of healthy appearing hens and contaminates the eggs before the shells are formed.

One of the greatest risks of infection is from consuming products that have raw or undercooked eggs such as eggnog and homemade icecream. By drinking raw eggs in your protein concoctions you are greatly increasing your risks for infection. There simply is no reason to consume raw eggs like that and the possible outcome is certainly a huge risk. And in respect to anything containing 100 grams of protein is only wasting protein. The human body can only assimilate and use 40-50 grams of protein at one time. Anything beyond that is filtered out through the kidneys and passed in your urine. It would be more beneficial to split that dose up over a few meals.

People often add in a yolk or two for the flavor and to add some color to the eggs. If you are consuming 10-12 egg yolks a day you are asking for potential health related issues. Although the effects of cholesterol are different for every individual, studies indicate long term consumption does increase levels that can lead to heart disease.

Bermich, don't be concerned about the amino acids in the eggs. They are quite beneficial.

Bumdart, be cautious when giving advice out that can negatively affect someone's health. It is reckless and can have negative consequences if it is taken to heart. In my professional opinion, you both are playing Russina Roulette by consuming raw eggs in any form.

Doc M

Nice reply. I do split the eggs up. 5 morning and 5 at night more or less.
    Also, about protien not to consume too much do to the negative affects.
    I do have a break period like a week off and 3 on just to let my digestive system have a break. I do that with all my bulking food. Usually for a week I switch to a hell of a lot of fruits, greens, and grains. I dont know if it matters but it is what my body tells me to do.
    The eggs just seem like a cheap source of calories and protien. Quick and easy.

want2bstronger is offline Junior Member
    yea eggs are great source of protein, might wanna cut the yolks to a minumum

I guess I'll take docs advice and refrigerate half of my shake. I will however continue to use raw egg whites. I believe the risk of salmonella is small enough to be acceptable. By the way 6 eggs equal around 40 grams of protien.

doc, i understand where you are coming from and you definatly had very valid points to make backed with some facts BUT when I give advice it comes from EXPERIENCE and text knowledge.

I dont think anyone (even doctors) are any better at understanding nutrition than I am just cause they read it in some big book but havent practiced what they read.

I wont dissagreee with you about the roots of salminilla poisoning but i know from 3-4 years of eating whole eggs that I have only gotten poisoned
    ONCE. Thats way too many eggs (about 100 a week) to be pure luck. I didnt say salminilla came from cracked egg shells but I always inspect the shell anyway, even if I notice a crack that has fused itself together later, I throw it away and as I have already mentioned never been poisoned since.

On your point of adding yolks for color, I find that kinda funny cause I dont have time to make my food look good, I have it for its nutritional value. Throwing away the yolk = an incomplete protien source. I dont cry "mercury tuna maddness or yolk madness" just cause some study said so. Truth is I could find evidence that could take away any validaty from those statements.

I would never spew out info unless I believed in it 110%. I hope I didnt say anything in a way that was offensive cause i didnt mean too.
    In the end, eggs are great, eat em.
    Last edited by bumdart420; 06-23-2003 at 07:31 PM.

mustang331 is offline Member
    Originally posted by markas214
    I eat 8 egg whites a day. I put them in the blender with skim milk, a banana, some ice and a couple scoops of vanilla protien powder. 100 grams of protien! It takes 3 minutes and tastes good.
    Do you cook it? Or eat it raw??

Bumdart,

I don't take offense to members having varying points on issues. In fact, that's one of the things that add to the board. So as far as me taking any offense to what you said, don't think that I did.

However, I do want to comment on a few things in regards to your reply. I don't put up posts that are based solely on information that I read in some big medical book in school. A point of fact is that I double majored in Biochemistry and Nutrition prior to medical school. I practice what I preach as I have been involved in the fitness game since I was a teenager. I do a considerable amount of research on nutritional topics and have tried about every supplement that has EVER hit the market. My wife is also very involved in nutrition and part of her role as a Nurse is nutritional counciling. So, in regards to me not having eal "experience" with these things, I think I have addressed that issue.

And personally, I think that your dismissal of being "poisoned only once" is a little brazen. Maybe you think it is okay to get poisoned, but I will pass on that one. Maybe you should do a little extra research on salmonella and how dangerous it can be to people of all ages. But, if that is the risk you are willing to take then that is certainly your free choice. I wouldn't recommend it, but you are of sound mind to make that decision.

And the yolk issue is a bit funny. The yellow is not only for the looks, but it adds some flavor to plain egg whites. And 10-12 egg yolks per day is way too many. Period. It is a well established FACT that egg yolks are high in cholesterol and should be consumed in moderation. If you can find me one single peer reviewed study that says that is healthy, then I will publicly apologize and tell the whole board you are the man. Don't fool yourself into thinking just because your LDL and HDL levels are in check indicates that your large yolk consumption is not going to have a cumulative and negative effect on your heart and arteries. And taking out the yolk does not equate into an incomplete <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> source. It may reduce the number of calories and grams of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>, but it is very negligible.

This post is not a flame, but a challenge to back up your ideas. Don't let yourself believe I am a pencil neck Doctor that has never lifted a weight and only sits around starching my lab coat. There are a few knowledgeable Docs on this board and you should heed advice from us just as I am always listening to the more experienced members in regards to AS use.

Doc M
    Last edited by Doc M; 06-24-2003 at 09:36 AM.

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    Gotta love that...nice info Doc M. Oh, and the reason I add a yolk in there is simply taste.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    There is 104% uptake if you have the yolk in there and only 77% with the whites.
    As for the cholesterol, we workout and atleast I am following a clean diet, so does it really mather if i eat 2 yolks or 15? I think it should be ok.
    Also remember reading something about adding flax seed and making the fat from the eggs more like omega3 = good fat.

Maybe some of you eggheads could make it clear for me.

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor
    Originally posted by Doc M

And personally, I think that your dismissal of being "poisoned only once" is a little brazen. Maybe you think it is okay to get poisoned, but I will pass on that one. Maybe you should do a little extra research on salmonella and how dangerous it can be to people of all ages. But, if that is the risk you are willing to take then that is certainly your free choice. I wouldn't recommend it, but you are of sound mind to make that decision.

It is a well established FACT that egg yolks are high in cholesterol and should be consumed in moderation. If you can find me one single peer reviewed study that says that is healthy, then I will publicly apologize and tell the whole board you are the man. Don't fool yourself into thinking just because your LDL and HDL levels are in check indicates that your large yolk consumption is not going to have a cumulative and negative effect on your heart and arteries.
    I 100% agree with everything said by Doc M. Salmonella food poisoning is a bacterial food poisoning caused by the Salmonella bacterium. It results in the swelling of the lining of the stomach and intestines, which is more commonly referred to as a gastroenteritis. My next point concerns the checking of eggs for cracks. At one time, it was thought that Salmonella bacteria were only found in eggs which had cracked, thus allowing the bacteria to enter. Ultimately, it was learned that, because the egg shell has tiny pores, even uncracked eggs which sat for a time on a surface (nest) contaminated with Salmonella could themselves become contaminated. It is known as Doc M stated also that the bacteria can be passed from the infected female chicken directly into the substance of the egg before the shell has formed around it.

I can't stress enough the dangerous of eating raw, unprocessed egg. If you insist on this practice consider buying pasteurized egg, in a carton. Pasteurization basically takes any bacteria that are present and puts them in a "resting phase." I would truly recommend this product if you are determined to use raw products.

As for eating yolks. As Doc M stated, the yolk is extremely high in cholesterol, containing more than two-thirds of the recommended daily limit of 300 mg. Egg whites are very low in calories, have no fat, no cholesterol, and are loaded with <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>. The egg white is less likely than the yolk to harbor dangerous salmonella, but due to the health risks that raw eggs present, consumption is highly discouraged even for the egg whites...

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by HeartDocMD; 06-24-2003 at 09:39 AM.

Rosie, ( I kind of like that)

I don't want to beat the drum to death, but it does make a difference if you intake 2 or 15 yolks a day. Now, if this is only on very rare occasions then it won't present a problem, but if it is on a daily basis then you are going to see the cumulative effects. Why would you eat that many yolks anyway? The nutritional downside far outweighs the upside.

And I realize that most of us here workout, but the fact is that you can workout until you are blue in the face and a diet high in fat and cholesterol is going to lead to heart and cardiovascular problems. There are far too many clean protein sources that are low in fat and cholesterol to give good reason to consume that many yolks. And I think the raw egg issue has been well addressed as well.

Doc M

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Doc M or HeartDocMD, everyday (and I'm talking 7 days a week here) I eat 10-12 egg whites and 4 yolks. Is 4 an ok number or do you recommend dropping it back down to 2-3? SOme heart problems do run in my family, and I'm just concerned. I gues I should also mention that other than that my diet is pretty low fat, mostly chicken, turkey, rice, oats, and veggies. With red meat maybe anywhere from 3-4 times a week depending on if I'm cutting or bulking.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Rosie, ( I kind of like that)

I don't want to beat the drum to death, but it does make a difference if you intake 2 or 15 yolks a day. Now, if this is only on very rare occasions then it won't present a problem, but if it is on a daily basis then you are going to see the cumulative effects. Why would you eat that many yolks anyway? The nutritional downside far outweighs the upside.

And I realize that most of us here workout, but the fact is that you can workout until you are blue in the face and a diet high in fat and cholesterol is going to lead to heart and cardiovascular problems. There are far too many clean <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> sources that are low in fat and cholesterol to give good reason to consume that many yolks. And I think the raw egg issue has been well addressed as well.

it has a nice ring huh?

I wasnt arguing with you bro just asking

Doc M

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Screw the yolks..... I eat 9 egg whites everyday and for fat I eat a tablespoon of natural peanut or cashew butter. Healthier fats are the way to go like flax, nut's, cla...

Rosie,

Yes, it does have a very nice ring..I know you weren't arguing, I was just busting your balls a little..

BigT..4 yolks a day, everyday, may be a bit much especially if your family has a history of heart disease..Just to be on the safe side I would cut it down to 2 since this is an everyday consumption..

Doc M

BigT..4 yolks a day, everyday, may be a bit much especially if your family has a history of heart disease..Just to be on the safe side I would cut it down to 2 since this is an everyday consumption..

Doc M
    Thanks Doc! I'll drop it to 2 a day or just knock 'em out completely and use natural pb instead. (That sound ok?)

You and the HeartDocMD have got to be two of the most beneficial members we have on the boards. Glad to have you two around.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    Thanks Doc! I'll drop it to 2 a day or just knock 'em out completely and use natural pb instead. (That sound ok?)

You and the HeartDocMD have got to be two of the most beneficial members we have on the boards. Glad to have you two around.
    BigT
    With 10 egg whites and 2 yokes I don't think you're going to miss them if you can even taste them. I would get rid of them and use a healthier fat source. To make my egg whites less boring I use low sodium salsa about 2 table spoons.

BigT..

I am glad to hear you are taking my recommendation..I hate to see guys who are so concerned with the exterior shell and not concerned with the inside systems..I want to look good and be around to see my daughter grow up as I am sure you want to do as well..

I also like to use natural pb as a healthy source of fat..I usually will throw in some salsa and fat free cheese a few times a week as well just to help break the day in and day out of egg whites..My wife has also thrown in ketchup, mustard, and a few other things just to spice it up a bit..She is a bit of a freak though so proceed at your own risk

And I will speak for HeartDoc on this one..It is nice to be appreciated by well respected members such as yourself..We both try to give solid and understandable answers to posts such as this one..And I hope you know we both are here to help benefit this board with our knowledge of medicine..I have learned a great deal here in regards to AS and in return I want to share my knowledge..

Now, if we could just get Jason to give us a better title other than "Associate Member".. ..We are both going to turn into post whores to get our post counts up..

If you have anything else, hit me up..

Doc M
    Last edited by Doc M; 06-24-2003 at 11:41 AM.

its refreshing to be able to have differing points of view and still have respect for each other, thanks doc. In short, when doc atkins came out with his book, the medical communtiy went nuts. Today, you cant open a magazine without hearing the praises of the atkins diet. This in itself cause me to have skeptisism for anything some doctor has to say. Im not the kind of person who runs and jumps cause some medical journal tells me too. I think the medical communtiy is really slow in trying out or testing new ideas, so I test them on myself and deal with the consequences good or bad.

Im glad to hear you are one of the practicing docs, this allows me to believe you a bit more than one who sits on his but all day and sneeks a smoke. Thanks for your suggestions, sorry this thread went a little nuts but I think we all learned something. Who would have thought eggs could get this deep lol

BigT..

She is a bit of a freak though so proceed at your own risk

And I will speak for HeartDoc on this one..It is nice to be appreciated by well respected members such as yourself..We both try to give solid and understandable answers to posts such as this one..And I hope you know we both are here to help benefit this board with our knowledge of medicine..I have learned a great deal here in regards to AS and in return I want to share my knowledge..

Doc M
    That means alot coming from you. I do care about my insides as much as my exterior and try to give the best advice that I can. As for the wife being a freak, that can be a good thing depending on the situations. Sorry I couldn't resist. As for titles I believe you two should be pardoned from the post count and be given the honorary tile of "AR Medical Advisors". Also how is the little one coming along? IS your wife really starting to show yet?

As for titles I believe you two should be pardoned from the post count and be given the honorary tile of "AR Medical Advisors".

I had to put this in quotes in hopes that our fearless leader Jason would see this and bless us with these excellent titles you suggested for us BigT..Maybe you could be a lobbying power for us since you are so well respected here at AR..And from what I understand you are a Big Mofo so you can also be our "Muscle"..

Bumdart..No need to apologize..I agree with you, it is nice to have differing opinions..So all is good and I appreciate your post..

BigT..My man..What can I say, I totally agree that being a freak can be good thing..She is really starting to show!! It is amazing how it seemed like it was overnight that her stomach went crazy..It is amazing!! I think she is more beautiful now than ever..Unfortunately it is hard convincing her of that.. Thanks for asking!! And remeber I always have an open ear if you need anything..

Doc M
    Last edited by Doc M; 06-24-2003 at 12:31 PM.

As for titles I believe you two should be pardoned from the post count and be given the honorary tile of "AR Medical Advisors".

I had to put this in quotes in hopes that our fearless leader Jason would see this and bless us with these excellent titles you suggested for us BigT..Maybe you could be a lobbying power for us since you are so well respected here at AR..And from what I understand you are a Big Mofo so you can also be our "Muscle"..

BigT..My man..What can I say, I totally agree that being a freak can be good thing..She is really starting to show!! It is amazing how it seemed like it was overnight that her stomach went crazy..It is amazing!! I think she is more beautiful now than ever..Unfortunately it is hard convincing her of that.. Thanks for asking!! And remeber I always have an open ear if you need anything..

Doc M
    Sure I'll be the muscle in this movement, also I'm already lobbying for you two, go check out the Lounge. As for trying to make her realize how beatiful she looks with that growing tummy, best of luck bud. I too will agree that they look very beautiful with the glow and the look of pregnancy. Just wait until she gets close to the due date, you can actually see the baby pushing out her stomach (it's actually gross if you ask me). If I find myself needing someone to talk to I'll lok you up, thanks agian bro.

HeartDocMD is offline AR Medical Advisor

Doc M
    I completely agree...the information I have gained from this board is astronomical, and in return I try to give back with information which I have more of an aptitude for.

Oh...and Doc M and I are a pair of meeean post whores!

Mustang: yes I eat them raw, whites only.

Doc: I do apreciate your candor but you know how it goes. You give good advice and it's up to the individual to take it or leave it. Now, if I get sick as hell from eating raw egg whites I'll think "Wow, I should've listened to that guy Doc on AR" lol.

mustang331 is offline Member
    Originally posted by markas214
    Mustang: yes I eat them raw, whites only.

Doc: I do apreciate your candor but you know how it goes. You give good advice and it's up to the individual to take it or leave it. Now, if I get sick as hell from eating raw egg whites I'll think "Wow, I should've listened to that guy Doc on AR" lol.
    It cant be good to eat them raw ALL the time, your bound to get Salmonala ( SP? ) Right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information