Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By uhit

Thread: Sugars

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!

Sugars

When planning a diet , who monitors or limits the amounts of sugar that they ingest ? My new diet plan has 33g of sugar in 2230 cals, 150g carbs, 300p 60f. I like to keep sugars low when cutting to keep insulin spikes to a minimum. Which in turn should maximise fat burning.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    If your talking about simple sugar? I don't consume any whether I cut or bulk unless its the meal after I wake up in the am to break the fast. All of the carbs I eat through the day are complex carbs
    DCI likes this.

I'm talking about sugars that are naturally occurring in foods or that may be added. For example my breakfast Apricot wheats has 9.5g of sugar per 50g. I could eliminate this for oats, but for long term sanity, I want something to taste. So how far do I go in reducing sugars ? It's like a trade off between taste and detrimental fat burning. I'm thinking my plan of 33g a day is low.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320 View Post
    I'm talking about sugars that are naturally occurring in foods or that may be added. For example my breakfast Apricot wheats has 9.5g of sugar per 50g. I could eliminate this for oats, but for long term sanity, I want something to taste. So how far do I go in reducing sugars ? It's like a trade off between taste and detrimental fat burning. I'm thinking my plan of 33g a day is low.
    Stick to the oats and sweeten them with natural sugar like honey. I try not to eat any food unless its grown from the ground or a real protein
    DCI likes this.

In my example I'm sure the sugar would have come from the dried apricots. Do you also limit fruit intake ? I have used fruit as dessert a few times. Why is honey acceptable ?

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320
    In my example I'm sure the sugar would have come from the dried apricots. Do you also limit fruit intake ? I have used fruit as dessert a few times. Why is honey acceptable ?
    I understand what you are saying and natural fruit is fine but I limit it to first meal or the meal right before I train. As far as the food goes I don't buy anything up and down the grocery aisles. To much risk of processed garbage. The food I eat either comes from the produce or the meat part of the supermarket. I am a bit extreme though and have been doing this a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active
    I understand what you are saying and natural fruit is fine but I limit it to first meal or the meal right before I train. As far as the food goes I don't buy anything up and down the grocery aisles. To much risk of processed garbage. The food I eat either comes from the produce or the meat part of the supermarket. I am a bit extreme though and have been doing this a long time.
    Yep, I am of the same belief and ideology of whole natural calorie dense food stuffs. I asked about honey because I was reading a no sugar cook book that used a lot of honey. To me it's going to be in the same bracket as fructose. I am planning my next competition diet, which needs to be sustainable and effective, I was just trying to gauge how much sugar I could get away with ( including fructose). And yes I tended to have the sugar for breakfast, and a banana pre workout. Although I moved onto forest fruits in jelly for after evening meal dessert sometimes with yoghurt, so I'm tightening the diet right up this time but just want the variation to do 12 weeks of hard dieting. Could do with a cook book, the no sugar one looked good, obvs I was in the dessert section lol

uhit is offline Member
    I usually only get 'sugar' from my milk and my fruits. And the odd cheat meal every 10-12 days when I get pancakes for breakfast and dump a crap load of honey and syrup on it or a little chocolate treat for dessert. Nothing too major.

Personally never seen a difference from losing fat from a diet with sugar and without. Perhaps on the lower digits of bf % it matters like sub 10%.
    Performance wise, since calories are restricted when cutting I prefer complex carbs instead of those with sugar... makes me feel better throughout the day. So I get my micros from veggies rather than fruits and majority of my carbs from rice, sweet potato and oats.
    DCI likes this.

I do seem to get bloated from sugar in whichever form it arrives in.

I am going with the theory that sugar spikes insulin , insulin in turn stores fat / stops fat burning. The lower the blood sugar the higher fat burning capabilities ( I could be wrong ) or drawing on reserves.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Any food that have added sugar is out for me (So about 80% of the food in any grocery store). I am in the middle of Mango season so I get plenty of naturally occurring sugars which I do not mind.

Thread Information