buffmike is offline Junior Member

Cardio 2 hours before last meal and sleep?

Ok i'm hoping someone can help me with this. I personal train in a gym from 5-11pm nightly. I am currently eating and working out for maintenance (I do 3 days of cardio, 20-25 minutes after a lift). In an effort to better utilize my post workout feedings and promote better muscle gains, I was thinking of doing my cardio around 1030 pm (my last meal is around 12-1230, its a protein shake and some naddy peanut butter). Does anyone know the effects this may have on my whole diet and workout plan? I see many pro bodybuilders who actually throw in some cardio an hour or two before thier last feeding come pre contest time. Basically, is splitting my workout up like this optimal for maintaining and/ or gaining muscularity. Any help would be great

davidthebeast is offline New Member

comments

I would think it's best to eat your biggest meal of the day immediately after you lift without doing cardio right after you lift. It'd be best to do cardio in the morning on an empty or almost empty stomach, but if you must do it at night, I would think lift, eat, wait 2 hours, then do your cardio.

I know Coleman and Schlierkamp each do an hour twice a day of slow cardio (55% max heart rate), first thing in the morning and last thing at night, when they're cutting before a contest. I'm not sure if they eat at night after this though!

Yung Wun is offline Member
    after your done your cardio session down that high protein shake low carb of course, dont worry as it wont be stored as fat because your metabolism is reved up from the cardio.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Why not get up early, go do your cardio. Do what you have to do, work, lift, go home. Simple.... but if you feel you need to do cardio in the evening, follow Yung Wun's advice, lift, than do cardio, than drink your PWO shake, but I would still use a good amount of dextrose to feed those muscles. No need to worry about it being stored as fat because you just worked out and your boy will use it up to refuel and repair itself.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    if your doing your anaerobic session followed by your 20-25mintues of cardio, by all means hit the dextrose. i thought you were planning on splitting it up, weights earlier then at night cardio. if thats not the plan, like tex said get in the dextrose

Thread Information