Thread: diet...ckd??

eggplant is offline Member

diet...ckd??

hi guys..jus wondering whether ckd diet really works..i mean i have seen pics of some of u guys who went on it and u all really looked great. BUt does ckd really burns fat? or jus mere water weight? doesnt dropping carbs as low as 30g or totally no carbs immediately makes the body store more fats? would i put on what i lost very quickly after my diet? wat if we get to our goal 1 or 2mth before a competition? do we still continue depleting the body or what? And for the traditional (cardio) dieting, how should i go about determining how much carbs/calories i should drop per week? and how much cardio? pls help guys~

peace,
    eggplant

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Hey, i'd love to help ya, but i can't really do that. The only way to know if it works or not is to try it, different things work for different ppl. You can read as much about it as you want, but you will still need to try it. Make sure you give it at least a good solid 6 dedicated weeks before you decide whether or not it works.

BTW, I have used CKD and it is my diet of choice. Just make sure you read everything so you know what and why you can put every thing that you do put in your mouth, as with every diet you try.

hey thanx saboudian..but i haf heard that we shouldn't use ckd for more than 2months..is it true? and what if we got to our goal far before competition day? and how should we go about to carb up? the traditional 3day depletion and 3day carb load?

peace,
    eggplant

chinups Guest
    If you can stick with it I have seen my boy make serious gains off that. He was a big guy but after he was done with CKD he was skinny and cut, he is now doing a serious cycle and making excellent gains and gives CKD alot of the credit.

Chins

freakups is offline New Member
    i tried it and it worked very well for me! iam getting back on it monday.
    i lost 17LBs in 14 days!!!
    -matt

NotVinDiesel is offline New Member
    just outside the Loop but not far from the lake
    The burning question I have about the CKD diet is, what effect does it have on your training at the end of the week? Obviously, because of the weekend carb-up you're on fire probably Monday-Wednesday, but how does the lack of sufficient carbs effect your energy level come Thursday or Friday?

durbin22 is offline Member
    My workouts struggled from a CkD diet.

Originally posted by NotVinDiesel
    The burning question I have about the CKD diet is, what effect does it have on your training at the end of the week? Obviously, because of the weekend carb-up you're on fire probably Monday-Wednesday, but how does the lack of sufficient carbs effect your energy level come Thursday or Friday?
    You can choose to carb up whenever you want, i choose to carb up once every 4 days, its just something you have to figure out what works for you.

I feel very good on the carb up day obviously, and the next day afterwards i will still feel pretty good. But pretty much the rest of the days i feel like shit in the gym. Your workouts should be under an hour when you're cutting anyways, but most of my workouts especially on my shitty days were like 35min or so plus 20min cardio at end. When I feel shitty, i just pick 3-4 exercises, go hardcore and go as intense as i can for 30 min or so and after that i'm pretty much about to collapse as i get onto the treadmill. Intensity is key here.

During the induction phase, i definitely had quite a few dizzy spells especially if i was at work it seemed. Didn't seem to have that many after induction, but i wasn't on it long enough to really know. But it didn't bother me too much because it worked very well for me, and i wouldn't have cared if i fainted as long as i was losing weight.

Anyways bro, this is all stuff you will figure out when you give it a shot. You will tinker and tamper with it and eventually figure out what works for you, the key thing is just to stay dedicated and motivated.

As far as being ready too early for your comp, i doubt it. Nearly everybody feels like they could usually need even more time to diet and prep for the show. Anyways bro, GL.

freakups is offline New Member
    Originally posted by durbin22
    My workouts struggled from a CkD diet.
    same here.... thats why i stoped working out for a while and just do cardio 5 days a week
    -matt

NotVinDiesel is offline New Member
    just outside the Loop but not far from the lake
    By comparison, have any of you tried the TKD diet?

woooh...saboudian..ur on a ckd diet..and u could actualli do cardio after ur workouts?! dats way tough man..admire ur fighting spirits..but wouldnt dat burns ur precious muscles?

peace,
    eggplant

Originally posted by eggplant
    woooh...saboudian..ur on a ckd diet..and u could actualli do cardio after ur workouts?! dats way tough man..admire ur fighting spirits..but wouldnt dat burns ur precious muscles?

peace,
    eggplant
    I definitely did not like doing cardio post weight training for that very reason that you have said, but i am an endomorph and i was doing everything in my power to lose BF. Of course as soon as i got off the treadmill, i downed 45g whey protein.

And actually, i have some other experiences with CKD that i suppose i will talk about even though you didn't necessarily ask for them and i have some free time.

A typical day would go like this

Wake up, down 10g of glutamine and shit load of water, jump on treadmill for minimum of 60 min, i also did this on an incline, and sometimes would use HIIT, never went above 90min.

Then about a half hour later i get a big fat protein meal in. Then i would rest for a a little while, i'd like to rest for an hour or so here, but sometimes i'm pressed for time and have to head straight to the gym for my weight training. Then at end of weight training, i add the 20 min of walking.

Then i'd have my postworkout meal and all that stuff, then it'd be time to go to school,work, or just do homework.

Than later that day, i would typically do 75-90 min walking outside, every once in a while i did HIIT.

Well that was pretty crazy now that i think about it, but i did encounter some problems. After a few weeks i had been doing so much cardio, that one day i woke up to do my cardio and so much lactic acid had built up in my quads that it actually hurt to do cardio and i was forced to take that day off and had to take a few more days off, and even than i came back less than 50% recovered.

The problem is that with a CKD or any diet that limits carbs is that your recovery rate is going to drastically decrease and with the amount of cardio i was doing, my body just couldn't recover fast enough and than i just woke up that one day and i couldn't do it. I literally had it on 3.0 mph and i couldn't keep up with it.

You have to understand that i am an endomorph and i was preppin for my first competition which i was very very thirsty for. I gave up most of my life during this period to prep for that comp. Any free time i had went to work or school.

Anyways bro, hopefully maybe that'll give you something to think about and maybe you can take something from it. I also have to note that this was my first comp and i had never cut down that low before, and i learned a tremendous amount about my body and i know next time it will be much easier. Thats the important part, learning your body, only way you can do that is to try different things and see how you respond.
    Last edited by saboudian; 06-24-2003 at 08:53 PM.

i'm also preparing for my first comp..basically i hope to put on some quality weight(not too much)for about 3 more months..and start my cutting diet in september..the comp is in mid january2004..and i hope 4mth dieting will do fine..so now i'm jus looking up on more info on different kinds of diet which i hope will aid in my preparation..^_^
    i hope u will do well too..^_^

peace,
    eggplant

Originally posted by eggplant
    i'm also preparing for my first comp..basically i hope to put on some quality weight(not too much)for about 3 more months..and start my cutting diet in september..the comp is in mid january2004..and i hope 4mth dieting will do fine..so now i'm jus looking up on more info on different kinds of diet which i hope will aid in my preparation..^_^
    i hope u will do well too..^_^

peace,
    eggplant
    GL on your first comp. I would allow 1 week for every 1% BF you have to lose plus another 4-6 weeks depending on your body type since its your first comp, remember the last week there is no dieting, its just peaking for comp day.

So if you have 10% BF to lose, i would say it would probably be good to take 14-16 weeks to prepare, probably more towards 16 though because you will encounter many unforeseen problems since its your first comp.

hmm..actually i don't really know how much bodyfat i carry...but i'm able to see my abs when i flex it during my bulking phase..i don't have access to fat calipers and stuffs...so its kinda hard for me to determine..

peace,
    eggplant

davidthebeast is offline New Member

actual diet

Saboudian or anyone else:

Can you please post your daily M-F diet and then your weekend diet, with exact foods, times eaten, and amount of food?

Would be MUCH appreciated...

Also please post your weight and bf% and whether you were cutting or bulking on the CKD.

Thanks!!!

Honestly, i stopped keeping track after a while cuz it got pretty pointless.

Basically every meal was ~60g protein or so from fresh fish plus whatever fat was in the fish and a few pieces of broccoli/cauliflower. Than through out the entire day i would get in about 4 tablespoons of flaxseed oil, if i weight trainedthat day, then i would have about 3 scoops of whey for that day

I think one day i figured out how many calories it was for one day and it was like less than 2000, i think it was in the neighborhood of 1600-1700.

I honestly was only on this diet for a few weeks, i wish i had been on it longer because i was still losing BF before i had to begin carbing up for the comp. I was at about 5%BF before i had to begin carbing up and i feel like i could have at broken into the 3%'s if i had another ~2-3 weeks and had kept up the cardio and such.

Oh btw, i went 3 low carb days(under 10g) then a hi carb day and repeat.

Thread Information