applips is offline Junior Member

How accurate is bodyfat (digital scale)

Hey guys,

I am bit confused, when i started training my BF was over 30% which came down to 22% in 2 months but in last 7 days in fact i have lost about 5 KG weight but since then my scale is showing 27% BF . How can it jump 5% BF overnight while i am still losing weight , where to bring it down to 22% from 30% took couple of months.

Why did i put on 5% BF overnight? Is it even possible? My diet is very clean and stable since i started training which made me lose weight pretty fast.

I am using Fitbit scale.

Cheers
    Last edited by applips; 01-08-2016 at 11:33 AM.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Not reliable. Hydrostatic testing or a bodpod are the two most reliable tools in my experience. You can get very close to that using calipers, but I have yet to see a digital scale even come close.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    those things are not the most accurate when it comes to measuring body fat. too much variance +/-

you need to get a set of calipers or try to find a bod pod (usually uses water displacement) in your area

noseeme is offline New Member
    What RC and Nova are saying is that there are too many variables at play with an impedence scale (which is what you are using). They 'detect' BF by sending a low voltage current through the body and formulate the out put, problem is there are a lot of things that can throw it off:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...ate-is-my-Aria

full bladder
    full bowels
    wet feet...the list really does go on.

My suggestion is that while they may not be that accurate in the actual number - they do at least provide a benchmark to compare overtime. This is how I use mine. Aside from Dexa or Bod Pod you are gonna get a wide range of results, even with calipers (how do you hit the EXACT same spot each time?).

Quote Originally Posted by noseeme
    What RC and Nova are saying is that there are too many variables at play with an impedence scale (which is what you are using). They 'detect' BF by sending a low voltage current through the body and formulate the out put, problem is there are a lot of things that can throw it off: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...ate-is-my-Aria full bladder full bowels wet feet...the list really does go on. My suggestion is that while they may not be that accurate in the actual number - they do at least provide a benchmark to compare overtime. This is how I use mine. Aside from Dexa or Bod Pod you are gonna get a wide range of results, even with calipers (how do you hit the EXACT same spot each time?).
    Yes, that is why I said they are unreliable. You may have an accurate reading, but you'll never be able to know which one was accurate with all of the variation from measurement to measurement.

Thanks guys, so should i assume i am 27% BF?

I will try caliper though see what the caliper says
    Last edited by applips; 01-09-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    The mirror is the best gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by applips
    Thanks guys, so should i assume i am 27% BF? I will try caliper though see what the caliper says
    Honestly, and no disrespect, but the percentage doesn't matter as long as you are reducing it. The mirror will tell you if you're making progress, and just remember that during a cut you will most likely not lose fat evenly throughout your body, so take pics from all areas to watch for fat loss.

You can do this!

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    The mirror is the best gauge.
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Honestly, and no disrespect, but the percentage doesn't matter as long as you are reducing it. The mirror will tell you if you're making progress, and just remember that during a cut you will most likely not lose fat evenly throughout your body, so take pics from all areas to watch for fat loss.

You can do this!
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your input. Looking at myself i dont really see i can fit into 27% bodyfat category. Just for an example in below picture

How accurate is bodyfat (digital scale)-fat.jpg

I dont fit 25% or above, i can fit in 20% with a little bit more fat so may be the previous reading of 22% was correct (not sure what made my scale to jump 5% overnight )

Cheers guys

Thread Information