RAMMEL is offline Junior Member

Checkout my LEAN MASS GAIN Diet

I do 30 mins cardio first thing mon-fri mornings (5 x a week) and lifting sessions on mon, wed, fri & sat.

I've just started this diet for gains in lean mass. I'm 170 lbs and based the diet on 2g carbs/1.5g protein per pound of bodyweight. If I struggle to gain on this I will adjust my carb intake.

Please give your opinions on my diet.

Meal 1: Post Cardio Session (7.30am)
    40g Whey Protein, 75g Dextrose, 70g Oatmeal & 5g Creatine
    = 678 kcals/40.9g Protein/41.3g Complex Carbs/71g Simple Carbs/8g Fats

Meal 2: (10.00)
    1/2 Tin of Tuna, 150g Cottage Cheese & 120g Brown Rice
    =373 kcals/39.8g Protein/34.8g Complex Carbs/6.5g Simple Carbs/5.1g Fats

Meal 3: (1.00)
    40g Whey Protein & 70g Oatmeal
    =405 kcals/41g Protein/41.2g Complex Carbs/2.7g Simple Carbs/8g Fats

Meal 4: (3.30)
    1/2 Tin of Tuna, 150g Cottage Cheese & 120g Brown Rice
    =373 kcals/39.8g Protein/34.8g Complex Carbs/6.5g Simple Carbs/5.1g Fats

Meal 5: Post Lifting Session (6.00)
    40g Whey Protein, 75g Dextrose, 70g Oatmeal & 5g Creatine
    =678 kcals/40.9g Protein/41.3g Complex Carbs/71g Simple Carbs/8g Fats

Meal 6: (9.00)
    3 Whole Eggs & 150g Cottage Cheese
    =387 kcals/39g Protein/0.6g Complex Carbs/6.5g Simple Carbs/21g Fats

TOTAL DAILY INTAKE:

Energy = 2895 kcals
    Protein = 241.4g
    Carbs = 358.2g (194 Complex/164.2 Simple)
    Fats = 55.2g

Does this diet seem o.k. as a starting point to gain some decent lean mass?

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I would have that last meal have more complex carbs and take the oatmeal out of the PWO1 and replece it with more dextrose. Also I would be taking in more protein in PWO2. You might want to adjust those carbs early in the day or at least play around with them, just my .02
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Also why do cardio in the am then add dextrose?? you already have a complex carb to replenish your glocogen. Are you doing HIT cardio and for a long period of time??? If this is the case than maybe some dextrose in water during the session might be beneficial but it is not needed in your A.M. breakfast. Also 1/2 can of tuna?? not much protein if your bulking IMO-- I would be eating at least 2 can or 1.5 cans. 1/2 can is just simply not enough protein. BUt i guess since you substituting with cottage cheese your fine?? I would choose one.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

RAMMEL is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies abstrack, I'll try and answer some of your queries:

1) I thought that eating carbs just before I go to bed could lead to fat storage. I also read that in order to supply the muscles with protein while I am sleeping, I should consume a slow-absorbing protein, such as casein (cottage cheese), along with some fats (whole eggs) which also help slow protein absorbtion. Is this correct?

2) I also read that my post workout meal should contain mainly simple carbs, but also some complex carbs, hence the oatmeal. I was told that I should include twice the amount of simple carbs as protein, which I believe I have in my p.w. meal, so why do you suggest more dextrose???

3) After my morning cardio workout I add dextrose as I thought that consuming simple carbs after a workout, not complex ones, was the best way to replenish glycogen (?) stores. I was wondering myself if I needed this much dextrose after a 30 minute, medium intensity run on the treadmill. I take creatine after this workout so I suppose the dextrose also helps with the uptake of the creatine.

4) With regards to the tuna, I know that 1/2 tin in a meal is not a great lot, but as you say I am also getting protein from the cottage cheese.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark with anything here.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMEL
    Thanks for the replies abstrack, I'll try and answer some of your queries:

1) I thought that eating carbs just before I go to bed could lead to fat storage. I also read that in order to supply the muscles with protein while I am sleeping, I should consume a slow-absorbing protein, such as casein (cottage cheese), along with some fats (whole eggs) which also help slow protein absorbtion. Is this correct?

2) I also read that my post workout meal should contain mainly simple carbs, but also some complex carbs, hence the oatmeal. I was told that I should include twice the amount of simple carbs as protein, which I believe I have in my p.w. meal, so why do you suggest more dextrose???

3) After my morning cardio workout I add dextrose as I thought that consuming simple carbs after a workout, not complex ones, was the best way to replenish glycogen (?) stores. I was wondering myself if I needed this much dextrose after a 30 minute, medium intensity run on the treadmill. I take creatine after this workout so I suppose the dextrose also helps with the uptake of the creatine.

4) With regards to the tuna, I know that 1/2 tin in a meal is not a great lot, but as you say I am also getting protein from the cottage cheese.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark with anything here.

1> You need to replenish you glocogen stores from your workout. by using the dextrose you are not replenishing your glocogen fully. You need some complex carbs to be in there. Once you replenish your glycogen stores, you should not be consuming carbs after that. But you need to fill up those muscles with nutrients and the carb meal in PWO2 will not hurt you. If you start seeing you gaining fat then cut back on the carbs or up your cardio sessions.

2>I suggested adding more dextrose to make up for taking out the oatmeal. You PWO1 and 2 should be relatively the same just PWo2 should be in the form of soild food.

3>umm, For me I would rather have a nice solid meal for breakfast of high protein and some comlex carbs. From the night before you should have replenished your glocogen stores and there would be no need for the dextrose in post cardio. Not unless it is avery long session and you are doing some form of HIT

4> Yeah When I wrote my reply I forgot to look at the nutritional value of the cottage cheese. I would opt for one or the other or like you have the same meal listed 2 times so break them up but it is realy your choice.

This is just my >.02
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Thread Information