Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By solit1ea

Thread: Calculating Macros

BeeStung is offline Associate Member

Calculating Macros

when counting macros how do you account for minor things that you cook with. for instance, if i put some coconut oil to saute some shrimp how do i know how much fats are in the shrimp from the oil? or butter on rice, etc....?

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeStung
    when counting macros how do you account for minor things that you cook with. for instance, if i put some coconut oil to saute some shrimp how do i know how much fats are in the shrimp from the oil? or butter on rice, etc....?
    just guesstimate.

Roughly 1 tsp coconut oil. Add it on MyFitnessPal

Sent from my iPhone using App

solit1ea is offline Junior Member
    Dude, that really depends on you and how attention to detail you want to be. You can go even further and start added together all the fats, carbs and protein from oatmeal; all the macros from peanut butter; all the macros from a steak. Most people will just say "oatmeal=carbs. This amount has this many carbs. Chicken=protein. This amount has this much chicken" and go from there. I've really only paid detailed attention to my macros when dieting for a competition, where you need to be meticulous on what you eat and how much.

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by solit1ea View Post
    Dude, that really depends on you and how attention to detail you want to be. You can go even further and start added together all the fats, carbs and protein from oatmeal; all the macros from peanut butter; all the macros from a steak. Most people will just say "oatmeal=carbs. This amount has this many carbs. Chicken=protein. This amount has this much chicken" and go from there. I've really only paid detailed attention to my macros when dieting for a competition, where you need to be meticulous on what you eat and how much.

Make sense?
    yea that makes a lot of sense. but to cut fat i figured i should have a ideal number as to what im taking in. like how do i know how much is to much of anything?

I would say the first thing to do is establish a base line. Find out how many calories you need and then find out ratio for you macros that works for what YOU want to do and what YOUR body likes. There are numerous ratios and macro splits around in the fitness world. 40/40/20: 40% carbs and protein, 20% fats. 50/30/20: 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats. There are low carb splits, high carb splits, keto, etc. I believe that there is no "perfect" diet or a "one size fits all" diet, it depends on the persons goals, fitness level, and design.

Whats worked the best for me and my clients is to start off with the 50/30/20 split and go from there. Do it for a few weeks and assess how your body handles it. Gaining too much fat? Back off the carbs and replace with protein. Losing weight or too much weight? Add some carbs. I wouldn't recommend going below 20% of fats though, I feel like any lower and you start messing with your hormones.

As far as figuring out your caloric intake, you can do any of the following:
    -Online calculators are a great tool
    -Fitbit?
    - Articles that show you how to do the calculations and where they come from
    - Good ole trial and error (start at say 2500 calories, and go from there)
    Jonbana likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeStung
    I take it u are cutting?

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I have some static things that I do not count. I.e., I add milk in my coffee, I do not count that and consider that a static and part of living. You can do that with a lot of things as long as your goal is moving in the right direction. This probably does not work for people getting on stage though.

I would not recommend the % split, it can be very misleading. Get enough protein, stay around 60-90 grams of fat and eat rest carbs.

thanks for all the help. Diet and Nutrition has always been really tough for me. i dont think i was ever close to 10% BF but now i think its time i try. ive reached my goals of getting to 200lbs and now i would love to see how i look when i cut back down to 180-185lbs.
    @GirlyGymRat your right. I just finished a 12 week cycle and now its time to slowly start trimming off some BF.
    @Tarmyg yea thats what i figured. thats sound advice as far as not worrying about things like that.
    @Solit1ea i think with my next pay check im going to invest in a fitbit and get a good idea on the calories i burn. maybe between that and the calculators i can get a idea of what my macros should be

kinetixtrainer is offline Junior Member
    "Myfitnesspal" worked great for me with getting these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I have some static things that I do not count. I.e., I add milk in my coffee, I do not count that and consider that a static and part of living. You can do that with a lot of things as long as your goal is moving in the right direction. This probably does not work for people getting on stage though.

I would not recommend the % split, it can be very misleading. Get enough protein, stay around 60-90 grams of fat and eat rest carbs.
    Sorry to ask, but where are you getting this 60-90g of fat from? Is this more specific towards him and his body, or is this a number you go by? Just curious is all.

I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement about % being misleading. Just because you don't necessarily follow it doesn't mean that you don't, perhaps by accident, have a certain macro breakdown that you follow. In this forum alone, I can bet that those who eat 3000 calories a day don't all follow the same macro breakdown, but it does come in some form and it helps when knowing what to add/subtract in terms of food when trying to reach a goal.

However, I digress, as there is more than one way to skin a cat!

wellshii is offline Member
    I tend to add those, as oils especially are a high fat high calorie food compared to protein and carbs.
    Just one tablespoon of butter or oil is 120 cals.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    I have meals I eat every day so if I'm not counting the same item everyday, it really doesn't make a difference. I eat hot sauce with my chicken and don't count it. But since I eat the same amount of it every day it doesn't make a difference. I hope I'm explaining that clearly. Lol.

Jonbana is offline Member
    FAT does not make you FAT Excess calories makes you fat

Batmanreturns is offline Banned
    I have OCD and coach so I by second nature am aware of the small details. You mine as well so you can have the most accurate number to your macros. It makes growing and leaning out that much easier

Batmanreturns is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonbana View Post
    FAT does not make you FAT Excess calories makes you fat

There is the hypothetical situation where one is eating in a calorie deficit but still gaining fat lol
    I agree with you thought for 99% of people.

Thread Information