Thread: Friday Fast

BeeStung is offline Associate Member

Friday Fast

For the past week ive been keeping track of my macros at a 40/40/20 split and its working great! fridays are the days i take off from the gym since i work pretty much 9am-2am the next day. since i wont be working out that day would it be beneficial in my journey of cutting body fat by either juicing on fridays or even going for a 1 day fast. i dont want to sacrifice my strength or even muscle mass. i dont typically have a problem eating throughout the day on fridays so its not like a fast is a MUST.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    I do intermittent fasting and love it. I normally do it everyday, fast for 16-17 hours a day and eat in the other 7-8.

Just cut your carbs down on that day for now and see what happens, or try some new things to see how your body responds. Everyone is different

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    My body would hate me if I didn't feed it for a day, especially while working.

If Friday is your rest day then you should feed it if you want the damage form working out to be repaired.

If your cutting fat then continue eating under your tdee and working out.

I don't think you need to do anything fancy like fasting or a keto until you hit a plateau.

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    My body would hate me if I didn't feed it for a day, especially while working.

If Friday is your rest day then you should feed it if you want the damage form working out to be repaired.

If your cutting fat then continue eating under your tdee and working out.

I don't think you need to do anything fancy like fasting or a keto until you hit a plateau.
    thanks for the advice from both of you.

trust me, my body would hate me to. my body knows every 2-2.5 hours that its time to eat.

i guess my thought is that i could have a cheat meal on thursday night and fast completly or just juice fast on friday

Quote Originally Posted by BeeStung View Post
    thanks for the advice from both of you.

trust me, my body would hate me to. my body knows every 2-2.5 hours that its time to eat.

i guess my thought is that i could have a cheat meal on thursday night and fast completly or just juice fast on friday
    I'm curious, why do you want to fast for a day?

Hope I don't sound like a dick just don't understand why you'd want to do that to yourself on a regular basis.

solit1ea is offline Junior Member
    Certain diets can handle "fasting", just like certain bodies can as well. For example, if you are eating every 2-3 hours then fasting will really suck for you lol. However, if you do intermittent fasting (IF), then you can handle a day of fasting. I have been on IF for well over 5 years and I enjoy it. It works for me. The work I do, the amount I eat, the way my body reacts to it, it just works. I can, and have, gone a day without eating food. Now, I'll tell you that I would drink 2-3 servings of BCAA's/Aminos throughout the day as well. That helps a bit with muscle breakdown and to satisfy me for the day. I drink the Amino-X from BSN. It mixes great, tastes great, and does the job.

However, like the others and you said, if you don't have to do it then don't. If its convenient for you and your body can handle it, then give it a go. Worst case, you find out its a horrible idea for you and you don't do it again!

Oh, and glad to see you found a macro split that worked for ya ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by solit1ea View Post
    Certain diets can handle "fasting", just like certain bodies can as well. For example, if you are eating every 2-3 hours then fasting will really suck for you lol. However, if you do intermittent fasting (IF), then you can handle a day of fasting. I have been on IF for well over 5 years and I enjoy it. It works for me. The work I do, the amount I eat, the way my body reacts to it, it just works. I can, and have, gone a day without eating food. Now, I'll tell you that I would drink 2-3 servings of BCAA's/Aminos throughout the day as well. That helps a bit with muscle breakdown and to satisfy me for the day. I drink the Amino-X from BSN. It mixes great, tastes great, and does the job.

However, like the others and you said, if you don't have to do it then don't. If its convenient for you and your body can handle it, then give it a go. Worst case, you find out its a horrible idea for you and you don't do it again!
    How long do you usually go on a IF?

Do you do it only when cutting or when bulking as well?

I'm always on IF; cutting or bulking. Honestly, IMO I don't see a difference as to why you should be off of it because you are bulking or cutting. All you do is displace your macros differently or reduce calories. I've seen great results on both my cuts and my bulks. Currently doing a bulk and managed to put on a decent amount of weight while controlling my bodyfat levels.

Now, of course there will be times that maybe I won't be as strict to the diet or follow the IF diet (vacations, family gatherings, etc) but I try to stick to it as much as possible when it comes to it. At the end of the day, one or two days (hell even a week) isn't going to totally defeat you and I would rather make that sacrifice than to ruin a vacation a something like that because of my diet. Hell, in fact when I do take a day or two off and "splurge" I notice a nice kick and I don't really gain any weight and it doesn't set me back much if any.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by solit1ea
    I'm always on IF; cutting or bulking. Honestly, IMO I don't see a difference as to why you should be off of it because you are bulking or cutting. All you do is displace your macros differently or reduce calories. I've seen great results on both my cuts and my bulks. Currently doing a bulk and managed to put on a decent amount of weight while controlling my bodyfat levels. Now, of course there will be times that maybe I won't be as strict to the diet or follow the IF diet (vacations, family gatherings, etc) but I try to stick to it as much as possible when it comes to it. At the end of the day, one or two days (hell even a week) isn't going to totally defeat you and I would rather make that sacrifice than to ruin a vacation a something like that because of my diet. Hell, in fact when I do take a day or two off and "splurge" I notice a nice kick and I don't really gain any weight and it doesn't set me back much if any.
    I've pretty much adopted this as well and love IF.

I love food so eating like a bird isn't for me. I like to feel full!

With IF have you guys noticed any radiance between daily, weekly, and alternate day fasting?

Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    I'm curious, why do you want to fast for a day?

Hope I don't sound like a dick just don't understand why you'd want to do that to yourself on a regular basis.

i just figured having such a huge calorie deficit for the day would help burn the fat. i had the idea that if i dont eat my body will burn the stored fat for energy

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeStung
    i just figured having such a huge calorie deficit for the day would help burn the fat. i had the idea that if i dont eat my body will burn the stored fat for energy
    It takes the body a relatively long time to ramp up the enzymes required to start burning muscle proteins as an energy source. On the flip side, the body is extremely good at pulling fat reserves at all times.

IF has been shown over and over to have a ton of healthy benefits. I am not a zealot about it but I use it to give my gut (GI) a break. It's a nice way to help reset everything. Secondly if you do it right and start kicking out Ketone Bodies, you get that added boost as well.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Thread Information