Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The Biggest Loser - My Experiment

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Introduction
    For a little over a month, I have been preparing a cut that will simulate the conditions on The Biggest Loser show. It all started with me watching a video some months back by Dr. Hall - The Calculus of Calories: Quantitative Obesity Research - in where his group has been studying the season 8 contestants. This was recently followed up in a research paper focusing on the Metabolic Rate. After some email correspondence with the PostDoc who visited the ranch I have boiled this down to two simple conditions, 1. big caloric deficit and 2. massive exercise. In numbers (recalculated for me) I need a 1000 caloric deficit and on top of that need to burn 2000 calories in pure exercise. This experiment is fairly insane and it is more of a "can I do it" experience than anything else. Let me narrow down the diet, exercise, and supplements that will be involved, I'll keep it short and answer questions should there be any. This time limitied experiement is running June 1 - June 30, 2016.

Diet
    This will be a low carbohydrate diet broken down in the following way.

Protein: 72g
    Fat: 171g
    Carbs: 6g

The fat calories are divided into.

Saturated: 18.52%
    Polyunsaturated: 15.41%
    Monounsaturated: 66.07%

Exercise
    I am currently running a 5-day split on lifting that is divided into this.

Monday: Traps & Shoulders, 30 minutes elliptical
    Tuesday: Legs & Chest
    , 30 minutes elliptical
    Wednesday: Arms
    , 30 minutes elliptical
    Thursday: Back
    , 30 minutes elliptical
    Friday: Chest
    , 30 minutes elliptical

In order to reach my calories I will do the following, on top of the above.
    Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday -
    Boot camp
    Monday thru Sunday, 1h Elliptical, 1h, Walking with weighted backpack (40lbs), 1h running on treadmill
    Saturday, Crossfit

Supplements
    Running through June 1 - June 30
    Test-E 200mg/wk
    HGH 1.8IU ed
    T4 600mcg ed
    NAC 600mg ed
    Ubiquinol 200mg ed
    Vitamin D 10000IU ed
    Fish Oil 3g ed
    Vitamin E 400mg ed
    Ephedrine 25mg 2t ed
    Caffinee 200mg 2t ed
    Yohimbine 2.5mg 2t ed

Technology

I am using a Garmin Vivosmart HR to track that I reach my goals each day.

I think that is it for now. I will update every single day with physical stats, mood and the overall feeling which I am sure will be terrible. I got some sleep aid to help when the hunger starts to keep me awake. I must admit I am really nervous about this experiment as I want it to go well and posting it public like this, for me, generally helps.

Thanks
    ~t
    Last edited by tarmyg; 06-01-2016 at 07:28 AM.
    InternalFire likes this.

joebailey1271 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    What weight are you starting at and what is your goal wt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joebailey1271 View Post
    What weight are you starting at and what is your goal wt.
    Starting weight we will find out tomorrow. I don't have a target. Simply want to see how much I can do within this time period.

Blog Entries
    You should check into the PSMF diet, basically the same except low fat and high protein, no carbs, its more geared toward short term fast wt loss, the keto takes a while, by the time your fully keto adapted you will be endingcyour run

Blog Entries
    You should check into the PSMF diet, basically the same except low fat and high protein, no carbs, its more geared toward short term fast wt loss, the keto takes a while, by the time your fully keto adapted you will be ending your
    run

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prot..._Modified_Fast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joebailey1271 View Post
    You should check into the PSMF diet, basically the same except low fat and high protein, no carbs, its more geared toward short term fast wt loss, the keto takes a while, by the time your fully keto adapted you will be ending your
    run

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prot..._Modified_Fast
    Appreciate it but not this run. Thank you!
    InternalFire likes this.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Subbed!
    InternalFire likes this.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Interesting concept bud and can't wait to see where you take this

Just some things that may/could help you in this. One way to combat the hunger at night is to fast during the day and eat bigger meals later in the day. Fasting can really help with the hunger as some days I may only eat 2 meals a day. Some days I add in some coconut oil and grass fed butter in my coffee in the morning and that helps with the hunger in the mornings.
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries
    8am here in India. Got up around 7am and just had my breakfast, one whole medium egg :-) Just having some pre-workout and then I'll start my gym time. Obviously, nothing to say on the diet front as it has been 8h into it. I am eating around every 3h with six meals in a day. Hate calling it meals as it is more of a snack but it is what it is!

Starting weight: 84.8 kg (187 lb)

Let's do this!!!
    InternalFire likes this.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    count me in brotha, I will keep my eye on this... will read top to bottom in detail when get a little nap. So far I see its similar approach to mine, I have feeling you will like it
    tarmyg likes this.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I will be keeping an eye on this.

I personally don't like the low protein but I know this is something you worked out as more of an experiment so I am interested to see how it goes.
    tarmyg and InternalFire like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    I will be keeping an eye on this.

I personally don't like the low protein but I know this is something you worked out as more of an experiment so I am interested to see how it goes.
    I agree with the protein concern and I do not particularly like it myself but I need to make absolutely sure I do not convert any protein into glucose which would break the Keto. You point is well taken though.
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries
    Already know I am going to update this experiment more than anything else Only way to stay on target. Just had my snack, one egg and one tbsp of olive oil. Back from the gym where I did arms, abs, 30 minutes elliptical, and 30 minutes of sitting elliptical. Now time for 1h weighted walk.
    InternalFire likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    T4 600mg ed
    Is this correct???

About the topic, I really dont understand why you are doing this, you do know there is a prize in the show, which you will have none... Also taking test and HGH makes no sense if you are serious about the objective.
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Is this correct???

About the topic, I really dont understand why you are doing this, you do know there is a prize in the show, which you will have none... Also taking test and HGH makes no sense if you are serious about the objective.
    T4 is correct.

I am on Test and HGH year round so it's no change. I just documented everything that goes into the body.

The reason for doing this is as simple as it might be dumb, can I do it? Nothing more nothing less.
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries
    Back from 1h walking. Added 20lb into the backpack. Now having some Olive Oil and Paneer.
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries
    Just went down for another 1h of running that turned into 30 minutes of walking :-) Damn, it's heavy. Need 1h more today.
    InternalFire likes this.

If you follow your regimen as outlined, you will switch over to Ketosis in 3-5 days without problems, but it will take few more weeks for your body to adopt fully so your metabolism should readjust accordingly, but Im not familiar how will this all workout since so many compounds are involved including T4, of course be prepared for mental crash due to KETO, its hard for first times, but keep concentrated on your goals and know peaks and valleys are inevitable, so you will deal with them like a man.

I follow the rule and it helps me throughout my journeys - Do the uncomfortable until it becomes comfortable (Jim Rohn)

I would recommend getting yourself bunch of MCT oil and use the appropriate amount of it for your diet instead of other fats if its an option for you. Otherwise raw virgin cold pressed coconut oil is another good option too, did a world of difference for my low carb approaches, read in on this MCT/Coconut oil stuff while on Keto, great reasons.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    T4 is correct.

I am on Test and HGH year round so it's no change. I just documented everything that goes into the body.

The reason for doing this is as simple as it might be dumb, can I do it? Nothing more nothing less.
    Of course you can do it.

About the T4, is it T4 as levothyroxine, or some toher supplement with same name?

Because 600mg is completely overdosage, even 600mcg is a very big dosage.
    InternalFire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles12
    I will be keeping an eye on this. I personally don't like the low protein but I know this is something you worked out as more of an experiment so I am interested to see how it goes.
    Long time no see!

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg
    8am here in India. Got up around 7am and just had my breakfast, one whole medium egg :-) Just having some pre-workout and then I'll start my gym time. Obviously, nothing to say on the diet front as it has been 8h into it. I am eating around every 3h with six meals in a day. Hate calling it meals as it is more of a snack but it is what it is! Starting weight: 84.8 kg (187 lb) Let's do this!!!
    I hate calling snacks meals as well, hence why I choose to fast most of the day and have bigger meals later.

What's your BF a Time?
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries

Of course you can do it.

About the T4, is it T4 as levothyroxine, or some toher supplement with same name?

Yes, actual T4, I read lowering in those lines :-) I did mean mcg though. I'll correct the typo.
    Last edited by tarmyg; 06-01-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun View Post

I hate calling snacks meals as well, hence why I choose to fast most of the day and have bigger meals later.

What's your BF a Time?
    BF is around 15%, slightly lower.
    Last edited by tarmyg; 06-01-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Of course you can do it.

I have to agree with this. 600mcg is higher than I would ever go personally.

If you dont mind me asking, how did you come up with this dosage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noles12 View Post
    I have to agree with this. 600mcg is higher than I would ever go personally.

If you dont mind me asking, how did you come up with this dosage?
    Purley based on my previous experience. I do hear two people saying I should lower it, however.

Blog Entries
    Second day and wow am I tired. Did not get to sleep in and had a hard time falling asleep last night. Body feels a bit fried but I got my exercise in yesterday.

This mornings weight was 83 kg (182.9 lb)

Blog Entries
    11.30am here and just had one more egg and a tbsp of coconut oil. Behind on the workout thus far, I am so fried it is not possible to describe in words Only had my boot camp and that ended up being a half assed effort. This is one of those days where you just stand up and get going. Doing some cleaning and then I am heading out.
    InternalFire likes this.

Good progress, keep your head up, you will get there in no time, concentrate on your goal and look down on the emotional mental part you're going trough now as though you already have passed it and it was nothing of importance to worry about.

One thing I have learned when on keto - you may seem like you are so tired, so exhausted, but its because you dont know your own strength, this first week your body is gonna go trough hell of a roller-coaster, and dont be deceived by your brain telling you feel weak/tired. Lift weights the same way as prior this journey and you will discover that your endurance capacity will be growing beyond your mental capacity, that was my experience. I felt so tired I could actually want to fall asleep while doing my cardio, but as I spend time on the machine I have to re-learn my body and re-teach my mental part of understanding how keto made me feel and what it allowed me to do. In other words I was surprised I outlasted my brain. Brain says fu*k no Im giving up, but muscles were still full of energy, now thats what Im talking about.

Have you heard of MCT oil?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    Good progress, keep your head up, you will get there in no time, concentrate on your goal and look down on the emotional mental part you're going trough now as though you already have passed it and it was nothing of importance to worry about.

One thing I have learned when on keto - you may seem like you are so tired, so exhausted, but its because you dont know your own strength, this first week your body is gonna go trough hell of a roller-coaster, and dont be deceived by your brain telling you feel weak/tired. Lift weights the same way as prior this journey and you will discover that your endurance capacity will be growing beyond your mental capacity, that was my experience. I felt so tired I could actually want to fall asleep while doing my cardio, but as I spend time on the machine I have to re-learn my body and re-teach my mental part of understanding how keto made me feel and what it allowed me to do. In other words I was surprised I outlasted my brain. Brain says fu*k no Im giving up, but muscles were still full of energy, now thats what Im talking about.

Have you heard of MCT oil?
    Thank you, this is WAY harder than I imagined having a daughter and job to take care of at the same time.

I have used MCT before but prefer Coconut Oil. I cut down on coconut oil to get a lower amount of Saturated Fats in this diet.
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries
    Have fallen asleep two times today. Once after the boot camp and a second time after my gym visit. Still only at 2h of workout today. Luckily I got cardio equipment in the basement so I'll head down there in a while. Doubt I hit my goal but I intened to get as close as possible as soon as this feeling of imminent death disapears.
    InternalFire likes this.

Once your body switches over to ketosis you will start feeling it like day and night, one morning you will wake up like nothing ever happened and feel full of energy and alert beyond what you usually are, you will run circles around same tasks that days before felt impossible or very difficult physically, but it gets much much worse before it gets better, so concentrate on good things, and I wish you great attitude toward your goal!

Im suggesting MCT oil only for the benefit that it carries in aid switching over to ketosis quicker/tapping in to your body-fat storage sooner, and for the most part the great benefit this oil has on the brain. I think, if Im not mistaken, you need twice as much of coconut oil to get that amount of MCT as in 2:1, I may not be accurate so I stay open to corrections.

So I went back and re-read somethings

You are training for 3-4 hours a day?
    InternalFire likes this.

to my understanding it is so, and he should be switched over to ketosis by now full blast, by my personal estimates

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle
    to my understanding it is so, and he should be switched over to ketosis by now full blast, by my personal estimates
    Ah makes sense

Blog Entries
    5 am and Day 3. Went to bed at 8.30 pm and slept like a log. Got a boot camp at 6.30 am. Already know I am feeling MUCH better compared to yesterday.

Today's weight 81.6 kg (179.9 lb).
    InternalFire likes this.

Blog Entries

3-5 hours yes to simulate the BL conditions.

Blog Entries
    Back from Boot Camp and my energy levels were very high. I slept from 8.30 ish pm to 5 am and it made a HUGE difference. Just had one egg and another cup of coffee and I am off for my chest workout and the remaining 3h of cardio.

Blog Entries
    Just hit Chest followed by 30 minutes of elliptical. That drained me. Just ate one egg and one tbsp of olive oil. Taking a nap before eating lunch and then finishing the day with a walk and run.

Great great progress I can with almost certainty say that your body is in full ketosis since this morning as you reported feeling alot better and have alot more energy, how is the mental side of things with you now? Better/sharper? more/less focused?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneMuscle View Post
    Great great progress I can with almost certainty say that your body is in full ketosis since this morning as you reported feeling alot better and have alot more energy, how is the mental side of things with you now? Better/sharper? more/less focused?
    I got Ketone Test Strips that uses blood test so we shall see what it says. My lancing device broke so I am waiting for a new one. Remember, I am training 4-5 hours/day so feeling "great" is a subjective feeling :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information