CanadianIron03 is offline New Member

Critique my diet/routine please, not making the progress I want

I'm not getting the results I want, so I'd like some help from people who are more experienced, all criticism is welcome. Here is what I eat every single day weighted out exactly as written. I'm 5'10, 180 lbs BF% unknown, but in the morning I can flex my abs to where they're slightly visible (not sure if that helps). My ultimate goal is to get to 170 lbs at 10% BF. I'm not sure if I'm making mistakes diet wise, training wise or what so I'll also post my split, load, diet. I train M/W/F in a normal rotating fashion. I'm not doing any cardio since I'm trying to some what bulk, more like recomping is what it looks like. My strength is slightly going up, If I stall I'm able to get more reps next session and progress the week after, I would consider my lifts novice/beginner standards but I do have very good form, at least that's what local coaches have complimented me on even though I'm not their client, who knows.. I will be deloading my squat and I'm currently deloading my OHP to practice better form. My ultimate goal is to look "aesthetic". Thanks!!
    Meal 1 - 90 Oats, 1 Cup of 3.25% Milk, Protein Shake, 30g Natty Peanut Butter - P50 F32 C84
    Meal 2 - 4 Large Eggs, 100g Rice - P30 F20 C86
    Meal 3 - 1 Cup of 3.25% Milk, Protein Shake, 30g Natty Peanut Butter - P38 F26 C24
    Meal 4 - Sole Fillet with 100g Rice - P25 F1 C82
    Meal 5 - 100-125g Chicken Breast with 85g Rotini, 85g Brussel Sprouts - P33 F3 C71
    Meal 6 - Tuna with 100g Rice and 85g Brussel Sprouts - P39, F1 C89
    Meal 7 - 175g Greek Yogurt before bed - P21 F0.4, C9
    Total:
    P236g x 4 = 944
    F83.4g x 9 = 750.6
    C445g x 4 = 1780
    Total: 3474.6
    (sets>reps>weight, including barbell, in lbs), I do 3 sets of warm ups for compound movements.
    A
    Squat 3x5x195
    Bench 3x5x160
    Chins 15-20 (I just do as many sets as it takes me to get 15 reps strict, from a dead hang without kipping or cheating, normally 2-4 sets)
    BOBBR 3x5x120 (I try my best not to swing or use any hip thrusting movement to get the weight up)
    Cable Rows 3x8, Curls: 3x8, Rear Delt Flyes 3x8
    B
    Front squat 3x5x135
    MP 3x5x95 (I've gone up to 115 but deloading)
    Deadlifts 1x5x275 double overhand
    15-20 reps of dips, 3x8 tricep work

P.s I've been on/off lifting for the past three years, very inconsistently, program hopping, on diet, off diet, ect. but I've been doing quite well for the past weeks and i'm finally sticking to it.
    Last edited by CanadianIron03; 08-24-2016 at 11:15 PM.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Your goal is what seems mostly inconsistent to me. "Somewhat" recomposition is just too vague for me, personally. I think you will be better off either cutting or bulking as it easier to control the outcome. This in between is by far the most difficult to achieve IMHO.

~t

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Hi,

Your goal is what seems mostly inconsistent to me. "Somewhat" recomposition is just too vague for me, personally. I think you will be better off either cutting or bulking as it easier to control the outcome. This in between is by far the most difficult to achieve IMHO.

~t
    Sorry, what I mean is I'm trying to bulk even though I'm not sure if that's the right path because of my goals. It seems more like I'm "somewhat recomping" because I'm staying the same weight while strength is increasing on a session/weekly basis. It's hard for me to decide what to add/change in my diet because of all the information on the internet, I'm either getting too much or too little of something and everyone has different opinions so I'm looking to some people who actually have first hand experience bulking and dieting to their goal physique. Do you see anything wrong with my diet? Also, just something to throw in, I've thought about bulking, not until a specific weight but just until I feel I've gotten too much fat on me but I also feel that cutting down to 150-160 (if I have that much lbm) and clean bulking from there. I know it all depends on me but do you have any thoughts? I can post photos tomorrow when I wake up and am dry.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, if strength is going up and you are leaning out or staying the same keep doing it. Why would you want to change that scenario? I have tried staying super lean while I was lighter and life was damn miserable due to hunger all the time. Just stay patient and keep going for a few more months, your results seems to be coming albeit slow of course.

Honestly, if strength is going up and you are leaning out or staying the same keep doing it. Why would you want to change that scenario? I have tried staying super lean while I was lighter and life was damn miserable due to hunger all the time. Just stay patient and keep going for a few more months, your results seems to be coming albeit slow of course.
    I appreciate your input. I'm a little dense, just to be completely clear you think I should ride the current diet/program out until I'm completely stalling and need to change something? Also, do you have any other advice or see anything in my diet that could be tweaked? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianIron03 View Post
    I appreciate your input. I'm a little dense, just to be completely clear you think I should ride the current diet/program out until I'm completely stalling and need to change something? Also, do you have any other advice or see anything in my diet that could be tweaked? Thanks.
    The bottom line is that as long as the chosen method is working do not change it. If you are no longer advancing change one thing and let that go for a while until you see the results of that. Tedious but very effective.

The bottom line is that as long as the chosen method is working do not change it. If you are no longer advancing change one thing and let that go for a while until you see the results of that. Tedious but very effective.
    Fair point, I guess I'm just expecting too much and comparing myself to others and everything I read online as far as progression goes. I just see all these 6 month transformations, ect. where it seems like people put on quite a bit of size and a lot of people say naturally in your first year with hard training and dieting you can put on 10-20 lbs of lbm, and I don't feel like I've put that much on, not even half of that. Who knows, but I appreciate your help. Do you think later when my lifts are more respectable it would be wise to switch to another program?

Blog Entries
    Fair point, I guess I'm just expecting too much and comparing myself to others and everything I read online as far as progression goes. I just see all these 6 month transformations, ect. where it seems like people put on quite a bit of size and a lot of people say naturally in your first year with hard training and dieting you can put on 10-20 lbs of lbm, and I don't feel like I've put that much on, not even half of that. Who knows, but I appreciate your help. Do you think later when my lifts are more respectable it would be wise to switch to another program?
    In terms of the people that seems to advance the most you could look at this enormous thread: http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-l...eon%2A%2A.html

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    ... I guess I'm just expecting too much...
    Slow and steady wins the race.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Thread Information