Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: First Ketosis Log

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    It's an easy way to get them in. I was using nuts but my carbs were higher than yours.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If you reach Ketosis, having not been there already, and you have started doing refeeds I am going to be very surprised if you ever get there. Generally, no one will ever refeed unless they have at least reached Ketosis already and even at that stage, doing refeeds can, depending on the individual, knock them way out of it. For me, personally, I can reach Ketosis on around 50g of carbs/day but refeeds always screwed it up for me way to much. I don't think Numbereis stating a different opinion, he is taking about a different approach which never worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    If you reach Ketosis, having not been there already, and you have started doing refeeds I am going to be very surprised if you ever get there. Generally, no one will ever refeed unless they have at least reached Ketosis already and even at that stage, doing refeeds can, depending on the individual, knock them way out of it. For me, personally, I can reach Ketosis on around 50g of carbs/day but refeeds always screwed it up for me way to much. I don't think Numbereis stating a different opinion, he is taking about a different approach which never worked for me.
    This is what I did. 50 g of carbs. No refeeds.

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Thank you both for your input gentlemen! I appreciate it. It sucks that there isn't a clear cut answer:,)..... I guess we are all on our own journey and we must find what works for us! Starting back at the gym today properly.... the gym times were a bit unreliable since Christmas and I found myself turning up to a closed gym a couple of times. Back day today. Was deadlifting 175kg a month ago. Hopefully I have not fallen far short of this mark.

Yep, we are all different. 2 people can do different things and wind up getting the same results. Doesn't mean one is right or one is wrong....just too many variables to consider. Adherence and consistency is 80% of your results in my opinion, so its more about fining a diet that fits into your lifestyle so it doesn't become so mentally demanding you cant stick to it.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    A Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) is the ideal ketogenic diet for most weight lifters.

This is because the re feed day replenishes glycogen stores giving the dieter fuel for weight training during the following week.

The while point of replenishing glycogen is to take the body out of ketosis.

Replenishing glycogen stores also has the added benefit of lowering the amount of catabolic hormones.

After a 12-18 re feed period your body should reach ketosis by 72 hours.

Days melting into each other till I go back to uni... powering through with my keto. Don't feel quite as rotten as I did last week

Out of curiosity what are you guys' goals in life?
    What sort of lifestyle do you live?
    How serious do you take bodybuilding?

I take it as serious as any man can who works and has 4 kids. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    I take it as serious as any man can who works and has 4 kids. lol.
    Work and 4 kids haha? Where on earth do you find the time

Feeling great today! Don't have any hunger and I'm not I'll. Something magical has happened! For all of you who have been praying for me, my family thanks you

I'm over the hill and you are finaly over the hump. Congrats.

I'm over the hill and you are finaly over the hump. Congrats.
    I'm glad too thanks haha but at the same time I'm like 'have I being eating carbs by accident and been kicked out of ketosis?'

Ya think the wife snuck some rice into your chicken so you would stop being grumpy. Sounds possible.

Ya think the wife snuck some rice into your chicken so you would stop being grumpy. Sounds possible.
    If I had one that would merit a falcon punch, hurricane kick combo from me... don't mess with gains ?

Feeling great again today! Hitting my macros and training hard. Do you guys think I should adjust my macros now to my new weight I am now 82.8kg or 182lb

Still battering through my diet. Had a lot of downtime so I can sit and make some nice food. Uni is coming up so that will be the challenge to keep going. Was hitting the gym today legs and shoulder and had the best gym session ever. Even when looking in the mirror, for the first time I can see how the fat has melted off my arms. I'm certainly getting closer to my goal. Thankyou guys who have helped this far!

Done keto for a month and lost 22lbs after carbing up again.... took a month off to try out carb cycling and haven't made much progress have lost a pound or two which I am not happy with. Especially with the amount of cardio that I am doing.

Shortly I will be doing keto round 2 with a few changes

-less saturated fat
    -more cardio
    -full body workout after carb up

As always I welcome help and advice I will try to continue the three with my progress

Sitting at 174lbs right now

Day 1 of new keto. Got a shit load of mince that is high fat aswell as avocados and broccoli. Going to be using mince as my main fat source rather than bacon

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowedzeus View Post
    Done keto for a month and lost 22lbs after carbing up again.... took a month off to try out carb cycling and haven't made much progress have lost a pound or two which I am not happy with. Especially with the amount of cardio that I am doing.

Shortly I will be doing keto round 2 with a few changes

-less saturated fat
    -more cardio
    -full body workout after carb up

As always I welcome help and advice I will try to continue the three with my progress

Sitting at 174lbs right now
    I am pretty much the same way. I have been on keto for better part of last year, but truly the only time I made any mass gains (which are not much to speak of but due to time off of cycle due to injuries/surgery) was with carbs. However, I did maintain and cut fat while on keto.
    My problem is after about 7-8 mos I seemed to have adapted, and though maintaining was failing to lose additional body fat.

Keep the thread up with your results, eh?

I did bod pod for bf % and it was awesome, won't use any other method - quick and easy and not to pricy.

Regarding using bacon as source of fat, a lot of the fat cooks off and stays in pan, and you can easily end up with a balance of protein and fat, and imo you need to watch the amount of protein to make sure you are always in excess of fat instead. I use coconut oil (can even eat a tablespoon straight), butter and sparingly avocados. Olive oil heavy salad and added to chicken is good as well. Blue cheese dressing on fatty burgers is good as well. Good luck and keep us updated!
    Last edited by TRA; 03-04-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post

I am pretty much the same way. I have been on keto for better part of last year, but truly the only time I made any mass gains (which are not much to speak of but due to time off of cycle due to injuries/surgery) was with carbs. However, I did maintain and cut fat while on keto.
    My problem is after about 7-8 mos I seemed to have adapted, and though maintaining was failing to lose additional body fat.

Keep the thread up with your results, eh?

I did bod pod for bf % and it was awesome, won't use any other method - quick and easy and not to pricy.

Regarding using bacon as source of fat, a lot of the fat cooks off and stays in pan, and you can easily end up with a balance of protein and fat, and imo you need to watch the amount of protein to make sure you are always in excess of fat instead. I use coconut oil (can even eat a tablespoon straight), butter and sparingly avocados. Olive oil heavy salad and added to chicken is good as well. Blue cheese dressing on fatty burgers is good as well. Good luck and keep us updated!
    I certainly will do! I really enjoy burgers and things like that but most meat I find at my supermarkets are all low in fat. Even bacon is a nightmare to find high fat... mince is the only thing so far that I have found with good macros... so my diet is looking to be pretty boring. He'll even eggs are higher in protein! But thankyou for your input sir! Anything you feel you can add, please do!

A few days in, hunger is killing me. Off all stimulants atm and struggling. I knew this was coming so I can cope.

I've had a couple of days where I've made 750g of mince and that hits my macros more or less perfectly. So one packet of mince spread out over the whole day... pretty miserable.

Today was a bit better had 10 eggs. Half a chorizo and nuts. Was a little more enjoyable.

Can anyone advise on meats that are lower in calories that isn't pure protwin and low carbs? Chicken is almost a no go, Sausage has too many carbs

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A few days in, hunger is killing me. Off all stimulants atm and struggling. I knew this was coming so I can cope.

I've had a couple of days where I've made 750g of mince and that hits my macros more or less perfectly. So one packet of mince spread out over the whole day... pretty miserable.

Today was a bit better had 10 eggs. Half a chorizo and nuts. Was a little more enjoyable.

Can anyone advise on meats that are lower in calories that isn't pure protwin and low carbs? Chicken is almost a no go, Sausage has too many carbs
    Just add fats to the meats you eat - best way. Add fish oils, olive oil, butter (saturated fats do not metabolize the same on keto so do not adversely affect cholesterol as long as you stick to the keto). Ground burger is good if you buy fatty but keep grease in the meat as well. Dark meat of chicken higher in fat, like thighs. Canned tuna in oil, eggs with yolks and BUTTER. One tablespoon of butter is 13g fat. Just make sure you get more fat than protein each meal. Supplement with pecans and macadamia nuts, just watch carbs in pecans/almonds.
    Cream cheese is good source of fat as well. Soft cheese like Brie good. Just don't overdo the dairy.

You should be able to easily calculate the grams of fat/protein you want each meal based on your total caloric intake.
    If you need help hit me with a pm.

Also, I would not calorie count/restrict while induction on keto. Just get the fat/protein going in and ride out the initial carb craving (which goes away and can be helped with things like cream cheese or peanut butter with stevia).

You can dial in the calories as soon you get into ketosis and the cravings stop.

I usually shoot for 30g fat/30g protein per meal on keto which is 2340 kcal total for the day, and then I have a couple of pecan or almond snacks which bumps me up a little.

Fatty additions to meats: cream cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, mayonnaise, butter, blue cheese dressing (watch carbs on macros), nuts (macadamias, pecans, almonds, peanuts, preferred in that order), marscapone cheese

Easy meats (not so healthy due to nitrites and preservatives, but okay in a pinch): pepperoni, some salamis, some braunschweiger (have to watch for sugars in some brands), hot dogs (I used natural, no preservative Nathan's)

Not sure if that helps...

Couchlock is offline Banned

You can also always stick to lean meats and add a tablespoon of avocado oil, grape seed oil, or load up on a few fish oils pills as well as cla, etc.

I myself am gonna try me to here on the 20th, will rock it for 3 weeks. I'm planning on tons of kale broccoli, chicken beef and salmon, supplementing fats with the oils I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post

Just add fats to the meats you eat - best way. Add fish oils, olive oil, butter (saturated fats do not metabolize the same on keto so do not adversely affect cholesterol as long as you stick to the keto). Ground burger is good if you buy fatty but keep grease in the meat as well. Dark meat of chicken higher in fat, like thighs. Canned tuna in oil, eggs with yolks and BUTTER. One tablespoon of butter is 13g fat. Just make sure you get more fat than protein each meal. Supplement with pecans and macadamia nuts, just watch carbs in pecans/almonds.
    Cream cheese is good source of fat as well. Soft cheese like Brie good. Just don't overdo the dairy.

You should be able to easily calculate the grams of fat/protein you want each meal based on your total caloric intake.
    If you need help hit me with a pm.

Also, I would not calorie count/restrict while induction on keto. Just get the fat/protein going in and ride out the initial carb craving (which goes away and can be helped with things like cream cheese or peanut butter with stevia).

You can dial in the calories as soon you get into ketosis and the cravings stop.

I usually shoot for 30g fat/30g protein per meal on keto which is 2340 kcal total for the day, and then I have a couple of pecan or almond snacks which bumps me up a little.

Fatty additions to meats: cream cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, mayonnaise, butter, blue cheese dressing (watch carbs on macros), nuts (macadamias, pecans, almonds, peanuts, preferred in that order), marscapone cheese

Easy meats (not so healthy due to nitrites and preservatives, but okay in a pinch): pepperoni, some salamis, some braunschweiger (have to watch for sugars in some brands), hot dogs (I used natural, no preservative Nathan's)

Not sure if that helps...
    That's awesome thanks man. I've just being eating fatty things in general. I suppose eating lean protein with oil would be more filling. Can't think of anything less appetising than chick3n so that should ward off the hunger.

Last time I done it I was on a packet of bacon everyday which I didn't feel was too healthy

Thanks alot for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post

You can also always stick to lean meats and add a tablespoon of avocado oil, grape seed oil, or load up on a few fish oils pills as well as cla, etc.

I myself am gonna try me to here on the 20th, will rock it for 3 weeks. I'm planning on tons of kale broccoli, chicken beef and salmon, supplementing fats with the oils I listed above.
    Sounds like a great idea! Definetly going to try that. The issue I think I was having is that fatty meats aren't filling but have huge amounts of calories.

It's great to see someone else trying keto m0st people are against it. Are you going for ckd?

Thanks for your input!

Was a terrific change! Had lots of tuna and high fat mayo and it filled me up! Aswell as a lot of nuts, was just under my carbs.

Made a packet of mince last night and that has to do me all day today as I am teaching all day then I have work straight after. Kill me now

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great work Zeus!
    If I go 6 hours without carbs I'm slightly homicidal,
    so doing this, and lifting as well deserves some praise.
    And don't listen to me when it comes to negativity around ketosis and such,
    as all I mean is I don't think that would work for ME,
    so naturally I'm quite biased.

Quote Originally Posted by DocToxin8 View Post
    Great work Zeus!
    If I go 6 hours without carbs I'm slightly homicidal,
    so doing this, and lifting as well deserves some praise.
    And don't listen to me when it comes to negativity around ketosis and such,
    as all I mean is I don't think that would work for ME,
    so naturally I'm quite biased.
    Thank you and I understand. I like hearing others perspectives on things. Definitely not a fun diet to be on. Would only really reccomend if you had no other options.

However if I want to do something I do it regardless of discomfort and I'm fed up of people telling me I can't do stuff.

You need to stop that it's bad for you.
    You're losing weight that's so bad.

It has got to the stage where people think I have some sort of eating disorder.

I guess it's just hitting a nerve and I'm showing people who runs my life haha
    DocToxin8 likes this.

Carb up today.

Going to be doing a weekly carb day more so just because I love carbs. Had some bagels and baguettes and will probably smash a full box of weetabix later.

Going to the gym later going to be boss. Shoulders legs and hiit cardio.

Can anyone advice me on carb up days? As far as I'm aware it's starchy carbs and no sugar that is to be aimed for?

Feeling like I'm going to smash it today. Had a right lazy day sitting eating. Done for carbs today will have a bunch of protein postworkout and beyond.

Incredibly bloated however which doesn't feel great

Feeling like I'm going to smash it today. Had a right lazy day sitting eating. Done for carbs today will have a bunch of protein postworkout and beyond.

Incredibly bloated however which doesn't feel great
    Smashed shoulder and legs. Need to work on my squat form as It doesn't feel too right.

Done some HIIT cardio and felt sick afterwards so it definetly worked

Made a packet of mince today. Pretty miserable eating working all day

Sark is offline Junior Member
    Keep it up!
    What felt off about your squats?

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    Keep it up!
    What felt off about your squats?
    Thank you will do!

I used to do squats above 90 degrees at 396lbs. Which completely don't count I know.

I now go well past 90 degrees atg and when I am nearing the top I feel like my shoulders go back words and my abs push to the front. I must have some imbalance somewhere. I currently wouldn't feel comfortable going above 160lbs.

Just for your information my deadlift atm is 380lbs

Sark is offline Junior Member
    Take a video of your squat form and we can all take a look and point out some things that might help you. Are you getting any pain during or after your squats? There cane be so many different possibilities with improper squat form that really, a video is golden information. It could be anything from tight ankles/calves, to a weak muscles group in the legs, your core, or even your width/stance/ toe angle.
    But the good thing is you're checking the ego and squatting with a weight you feel safe doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    Take a video of your squat form and we can all take a look and point out some things that might help you. Are you getting any pain during or after your squats? There cane be so many different possibilities with improper squat form that really, a video is golden information. It could be anything from tight ankles/calves, to a weak muscles group in the legs, your core, or even your width/stance/ toe angle.
    But the good thing is you're checking the ego and squatting with a weight you feel safe doing.
    I will definetly see about doing that thank you. At the bottom I feel very tight in underside of my legs next to my adductors. Apart from that I seem to be very quad dominant. I I can do almost the entire weight stack with good form with the quad extentions but not much with the prone hamstring curl

About to have my first food of the day at 7pm. Not had any urges to eat at all today.

Got some mince and I'm feeling cheeky so might through some broccoli in there to mix it up a bit.

Keto is pretty depressing as far as diets go xD

Going with the high protein foods today.

I'm sitting pretty heavy after my high carb day.

Had 2 tins of tuna with a load of mayo this morning. Probably have some chorizo later after my cardio

Mince today. Hitting my macros.

May have messed up last week as I was unaware I was eating polo mints full of sugar...

Facepalm

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information