Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Read and learn

Thread: 42M looking to finally reaching my goal

Read and learn is offline New Member

42M looking to finally reaching my goal

I have been dieting/lifting on and off for 20 years. Always gaining weight back and i get frustrated and go back to eati g like a pig. I have played with some aas in the past like an iddiot thinking i could pop a few pills and pin my ass thinking i would be on the cover of maxxum in 30 days at 25-35% BF lol. I am not saying i would never play with aas in the future but reading and reading more has helped me with the prper information to finally succeed.
    Ok December 27th i started, was going to start at the NEW year (resolutuon) why wait right? Ok so i was at 230lbs at 5'8 i am not a total fat slob. I am fairly strong and hold my weight good with my height. As of today i weighed myself and i am 207lb. And i can start to see that old muscle that has been hiding for a long time. I am eating a strict low carb meduim protien diet. I feel pretty good no more back pain and i got alot of my skinny clothes back out (my closert consist of skinny and fat clothes) i never throw away my sz 36 jeans cause i know i will need them again problem is my energy levels. I know i am not doing my diet very well but the weight us dropping fast. I havnt started a workout plan as i work in manufactoring and its a workout in its own.
    I am eating only 1500 cals aday (energy?)
    Carton egg whites morning
    8oz chick breast with cabbage lunch
    8oz chick breast with spinage
    3-4 litres of h2o
    Also drink that powered greens everyday with liv52

I am ready to start with more protien and liftung weights si i do not lose muscle.

My goal it to be my high school weight at 175-180.
    I wont be offended with any comment or answer so type away. And thanks in advanced for your comments
    Obs likes this.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    depending on how fast you are losing, you may want to add back some calories if you are constantly tiered. 1500 calories is not a lot of calories and when you hit your first plateau, how much lower can you drop them. I would increase my food and start working out. manufacturing may be a workout but its something your body is used to doing. Its like walking for a mailman. if the mailman is fat and wants to lose weight, he has to do more than he usually does to lose the weight. hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sence. As alot of my coworkers are large dudes. Thing is i have not plateaued yet still losing weight. I am so motivated this tume atound that i am skipping my cheat days. The 1 cheat day i did have was a chicken ceaser salad and i felt guilty??? I am joining a gym this week but dont know if i should lift heavy or light. But cardio will be a must. Question i have is would planet fitness be ok? I know its not a so called body building gym but its close to me and for $10mth works.

Oh and when i do plateau and it will happen how do i change things up? Thx

planet fitness will be fine. try to get your cardio in everyday. as for weights, if you haven't done them in a while start slow, get your form down. don't want to get yourself hurt and piss away all your progress. I made a workout journal. you should do that too. On the front cover I wrote, ' beat the book'. my goal every time I go in the gym is to beat my last workout in either weight or reps. so on my squat day, if last week I did 200lbs for 5 sets of 5. this week I will do 205 for 5 sets of 5. If I can only do 205 for 4 or the 5 sets and on the last set I only get 4 then that's fine. the next workout my goal will be to do 205 for the full 5X5. If I get it, next week is 210. this insures im getting the progressive overload I need to improve every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Read and learn View Post
    Oh and when i do plateau and it will happen how do i change things up? Thx
    if you plateau you can either restrict your food intake again, or increase your energy expenditure, ie more cardio. either increase the length of time or the amount of times. that's why do don't want to go balls to the wall right out of the gait with 7 day a week cardio and eating 1200 calories. when your body gets used to that, where do you go from there. 800 calories a day. You want to make slow small adjustments and not big slash and burn kind of adjustments.

One final thought. If you are currently losing a couple pound of week on 1500 calories with no gym time and you start to add the gym into the mix, I would use that time to add some calories back into your diet. Ideally you want to lose weight eating as much food as possible. A couple pounds a week is solid progress and the extra food in your diet will 1. Make the diet easier to stick to and 2. Give you options once you hit a sticking point and have to cut food.

I will read your post. And start slow at the gym. I have a rotater cuff problem from 2 years ago using the smith machine for bench press put up 275 the 3rd lift and felt a pop. It has never been the same. The smith machine is bad i know but didnt have a spot and i am payi g the price. So now doing shoulders reps is also difficult with heavy weight

I have a bad right shoulder as well, just something you have to work around. I cant do lateral raises and it affects my pressing to a degree. I have to keep my elbows tucked close to my sides when I bench and its doesn't cause me any pain. if they flair out 45 degrees or so I can feel the injury. But overall you can still get the job done. It just takes some time to figure out what your body can do. ie if 30lb shoulder presses are not an issue with your shoulder but 50s are then you just do a shit ton of reps with the 30s. may take you longer to hit failure but your shoulder may not give you any trouble.

Thanks will try that. Again thanks for the replys. Good to talk about issues with well educated folks that actually know what they are talking about

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Good luck sir! Hope you blaze a path to your goals!

Thanks powerstroke. I am all in this time around

Thread Information