RAMMEL is offline Junior Member

A few Oatmeal questions

I had a look at the nutritional contents of Oatmeal compared to other Cereals (Corn Flakes, Bran Flakes, etc.) in my local store last night and you guys are right, it is a hell of a lot better for you (lots of complex carbs, hardly any sugar).
    I'm gonna start eating it on a morning with my Protein & Creatine Shake when I start bulking and just wondered if you had any tips on how to prepare it.

I was thinking of maybe heating 100g of Oatmeal mixed with 200ml skimmed milk and some water in the microwave, and mixing in my Chocolate flavoured Protein/Creatine Powder (40g Protein/5g Creatine) before I eat it.

Would this be a good meal to have for breakfast on a Bulking diet?

Should I drop the milk cos I heard it hinders absorption of protein and creatine, or is it ok to include this small amount?

Also, should I mix the Protein/Creatine powder in before or after I heat it?

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Milk slows absorption not hinders it so the protein is fine the creatine you might want to take at another time with high GI value carbs. That does sound like a good bulking breakfast. I dont like mixing protein powder with hot things, heat can destroy the protein in powders, so it would be best to eat your oatmeal and make a shake. But if you do want to add the protein add it after the oatmeal has cooled a bit. I dont know if the same is true for creatine, but like I said there are other better ways to take creatine.

Pain

RAMMEL is offline Junior Member
    How about if I warmed my oats in the microwave with water, waited till they'd cooled down, then added the protein. This would be at about 7.30am for my first meal of the day.

At about 10.00am I will be having my second meal (probably Tuna & Cottage Cheese) so I could have my first lot of creatine (5g) with water along with this meal. Should I add some dextrose or is this only necessary after my workout???

Does this sound o.k?

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    The first meal is fine bro. The second is not. You are bulking right? If so, I'd be eating lots of complex carbs in every meal along with that protein.

Btw, you can drink milk while bulking...it has sugar, which you should avoid when cutting (except on your post workout meals of course) but you shouldn't worry about this when you're bulking. Getting tons of calories requires eating lots of food and you shouldn't be all nit picky when you're bulking. Just eat big! Cutting is a different story.

As for the creatine, take it with a sugary protein drink right after your workout. That's the only time I would take it. The insulin spike you get from this drink will help your body absorb that creatine and since you are in that post workout "window of opportunity", your body will soak it up well.

Mental_Hernia is offline Junior Member
    I dont drink protein mixes, otherwise I'd do what PN says..

When I eat my oatmeal in the morning, I dont cook it; I cant STAND the taste of cooked oatmeal.. I take 1/2 cup - 1 cup and mix in 2 table spoons of sugar free jelly.. Mmmmmmm

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    ...so you guys just eat the oats uncooked? Geez, I've never tried that before (good idea for a shake!)

I've been eating my bowl of (cooked) oatmeal every morning the last 8 years and it does get old. I've perfected it though. I boil a cup of oats with water for 5-10 minutes...when it starts thickening, I stir in skim milk to get it nice and creamy. After it mixes and cooks for a couple minutes, I pour it all into a bowl and slice up a banana over top, stir that in, then (my secret weapon)... I sit it in the freezer for 3-4 minutes and let it harden up/cool down....when it comes out, let's just say, it's good enough that I've eaten it like this every morning for the last 8 years. (With egg whites of course).

margo is offline Female Member

Talking

Yummy pumpseeker!
    I haveto try your oatmeal idea.....
    I´ve been wondering if you guys eat your oatmeal cold or hot???
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Hell yeah it gets old, but you do it for a reason!

Mixing it raw is good when your in a hurry. Shredz have a recipe(sp) in that forum on oatmeal panncakes, give it a try!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I blend it into my morning shake.
    Last edited by PaPaPumP; 07-07-2003 at 03:01 AM.

xplicit is offline Member
    I eat it plain but i dont cook the oats. I boil water for a few minutes then pour it into the oatmeal, I never tried cooking the oats.

I know people are going to say cook the oats and the longer they need to be cooked the better, Ill have to try that out next time i eat oatmeal.

Phreak101 is offline Anabolic Member
    Here is a recipe for an AWESOME shake that I have usually every morning. Trust me its good.

-1-2 scoops (depending on your needs) of chocolate protein powder (preferably Optimum Nutrition cause its cheap and yummy! , but feel free to use your own.

-2 cups of plain oats, great carbs and fiber!

-1 tblspn of low fat peanut butter

-6 or 7 ice cubes

-1 or 2 bannanas

-2-3 cups of non-fat milk

Blend it all together in a blender on the highest setting for about 30-45 seconds to really grind up those oats. All in all you pull in a hefty dose of protein and carbs with a little fat in the morning. Tastes great too! Give it a shot!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    I blend it into my morning shake.
    Go home...Nobody likes you.

Thread Information