Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By MuscleScience
  • 2 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 6 Post By CharlesThe4th
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: "What the Health" on Netflix

"What the Health" on Netflix

Its a documentary on plant based diets (veganism) that's on Netflix. To those that have watched it, What is your opinion on the information it puts forth? Do you have any clinical studies that disprove some of its claims? Pretty eye opening if it's true.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I haven't watched it (I will now I am curious) but I am vegetarian for 10years and vegan for past 4 (even while vegetarian it was only whey or some cheese id have from time to time, no eggs or milk) .
    right now we (veggie heads) are a growing minority, but mock my words in 50-100 yrs I WILL be the norm and the meat will not.
    I still get shit on for my life style at times (it is NOT JUST "DIET CHOICES" it is much more, how you impact the world, add to pain or pollution etc. it is not merely a simple diet choice, it means much more (for meat eaters too, though it is usually justifies in a million ways like "i could never stop eating meat" or " i like ho it tastes", in my eyes you shouldent need excuses if there was nothing truly wrong with it) and having said that I ALSO said there is NO WAY i could stop eating meat. i remember in school i was laughing at this girl that was pretty much giving the shapeal i just did here.... how things change.
    even if you truly feel only we are at the top of value/food chain... does that not mean we should be the caretakers to the rest of the world and its animals if we are soo high and mighty? if you could not eat a 3yr then eating a pig should be seen in a similar way because their IQ is about the same and they feel love, joy, pain, hurt..

anyways the above is the more (in my opinion) important aspect, and then there is health.... and honestly thats a given IMO... i have been way healthier without meat/fish or dairy. and thats going through some of the darkest patches in my life, and im still better off, even now. (and bigger than most, muscle wise)
    it might be fluke but i have NEVER had to give blood or take blood out due to high RBC, and im always in range (or slightly above) on cycle and i suspect this is also due to diet.
    i am going to watch it and add my 0.2 ; )

ps. i dont usually post too much on the meat free thing since of all places bbing is even worse of a place to bring it up than to the average joe shmoe, but when it comes up i put my input
    and i dont think im better than anymone, just more aware, in all honesty and that is NOT trying to boost my ego or anything (like typical vegan jokes with sadly have some basis... on shallow people that think they are better for just not eating meat), its simple truth, my truth

Last edited by Juced_porkchop; 06-27-2017 at 09:44 AM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I guess I shouldn't mention I'm opening a sustainable beef and poultry farm soon...
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

^ still better than how kfc, mc donalds etc. does it. but in my eyes there is no true sustainable way to do it if you factor in the added pollution and food needs of animals vs. a veggie farm especially. but to each their own
    watch the vid and maybe you can grow me organic veggies in its place! ha ; )

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juced_porkchop View Post
    ^ still better than how kfc, mc donalds etc. does it. but in my eyes there is no true sustainable way to do it if you factor in the added pollution and food needs of animals vs. a veggie farm especially. but to each their own
    watch the vid and maybe you can grow me organic veggies in its place! ha ; )
    I was organic before it was a thing. I grew up canning my own food, harvesting my own bee honey from the bees we kept, butchering my own chickens and hogs. Raised our own beef steers too for the entire family. Having been around farming and that life style it is how it all use to be done before huge corporate farming took over. There is nothing wrong with that. Farming is not an easy lifestyle. It takes work and a lot of Perseverance. In order to feed 7billion people, you do need a certain amount of industrialization to the process.

I think it can be cleaned up. There are newer farm systems like Aerofarming that convert old warehouses into stackable growing rows and such. The average farmer could never build something like that on a grand scale.
    Last edited by MuscleScience; 06-27-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    The number one destroyer of ecosystems around the world is not cities or urban sprawl. It's the clearing of native habitates for farming and planting of Homogenous crops. So in a sense one could argue that needing more land for people to eat more plant matter is no better than eating beef.
    stickiestring and Obs like this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Can we please leave ethics out of this and strictly talk about the health benefits please.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S&S_ShovelHead View Post
    Can we please leave ethics out of this and strictly talk about the health benefits please.
    Humans are true omnivores, we need a spread of different nutrients of plant and animal matter. Since we don't have Chambers's stomach like ruminants do, we can't extract all essential nutrients such as some amino acids, vitamins, fatty acids etc. conversely we can't extract all the nutrients from just eating animal matter and remain healthy either.
    KINGKONG likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Watching the documentary now. I have a lot of thoughts on this topic. I'll give my review when I'm finished!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Well I watched the first 30 minutes and will not watch any more of this hippy a$$ liberal propaganda bs. I was all ears until they started making this into a racial civil rights issue. Total bullcrap. The guy made some valid points but what it all boils down to is eating a healthy diet. We all know if you eat a pound of bacon a day it's probably not good for you. Does meat cause cancer? I may believe that. But I don't believe it's anywhere near as bad as what they say. My great grandparents, grandparents have always had meat as a staple in their diets. Both sides of my family have been very fortunate to not have many health issues and no cases of cancer that I'm aware of. I believe genetics plays a huge role as to who has a predisposition to develop cancer or disease. The fda, cancer society and whatever else always comes out with new studies disproving what they previously approved. Bottom line, eat a healthy diet. Meat won't kill you.

Obs, KINGKONG, RaginCajun and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post
    Well I watched the first 30 minutes and will not watch any more of this hippy a$$ liberal propaganda bs. I was all ears until they started making this into a racial civil rights issue. Total bullcrap. The guy made some valid points but what it all boils down to is eating a healthy diet. We all know if you eat a pound of bacon a day it's probably not good for you. Does meat cause cancer? I may believe that. But I don't believe it's anywhere near as bad as what they say. My great grandparents, grandparents have always had meat as a staple in their diets. Both sides of my family have been very fortunate to not have many health issues and no cases of cancer that I'm aware of. I believe genetics plays a huge role as to who has a predisposition to develop cancer or disease. The fda, cancer society and whatever else always comes out with new studies disproving what they previously approved. Bottom line, eat a healthy diet. Meat won't kill you.

That one part was absolute bullshit but the rest seemed pretty sound and to be balked up by numerous studies and health professionals. If You have any evidence that disproves some of their claims I'd love to see it. They go into how genetics actually play a very small part of ones likliness to get a certain illness.

I think there is a big difference between the meat our grandparents ate and the garbage we eat today. I was somewhat leaning towards trying a diet of cutting out dairy, whole eggs, any farmed meat (only eat what I hunt or catch myself). I know when I eat any processes meat and especially pork I feel horrible right after.

Blog Entries
    That one part was absolute bullshit but the rest seemed pretty sound and to be balked up by numerous studies and health professionals. If You have any evidence that disproves some of their claims I'd love to see it. They go into how genetics actually play a very small part of ones likliness to get a certain illness.

I think there is a big difference between the meat our grandparents ate and the garbage we eat today. I was somewhat leaning towards trying a diet of cutting out dairy, whole eggs, any farmed meat (only eat what I hunt or catch myself). I know when I eat any processes meat and especially pork I feel horrible right after.
    Oh man, I could go on for days about us returning to buying our foods from The local butcher and market again. And having a say in the quality and content of the foods we eat. Buy local lol

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I guess I shouldn't mention I'm opening a sustainable beef and poultry farm soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThe4th View Post

You know what....
    You two are pretty cool lol!

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member

I don't know what you got over there but personally I choose to stay away from any processed and cured meat, and that coming from an Italian , so no prosciutto for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Oh man, I could go on for days about us returning to buying our foods from The local butcher and market again. And having a say in the quality and content of the foods we eat. Buy local lol
    Local butchers and supermarket basically sell the same shit over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    You know what....
    You two are pretty cool lol!
    Haha!

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Do I know someone who is super fit and a vegetarian? Yes.

Do I know someone who is super fit and a vegan? Yes.

Do I know someone who is strictly Paleo and super fit? Yes.

Do I know know someone who eats whatever the hell they want and is super fit? Yes. (and I hate that guy)

Point being that dogmatic approach to any nutrition philosophy without closely looking at the effects on each individual person is not a good approach.

"I stay mostly to myself but that's OK, they know me here"
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Do I know someone who is super fit and a vegetarian? Yes.

Do I know someone who is super fit and a vegan? Yes.

Do I know someone who is strictly Paleo and super fit? Yes.

Do I know know someone who eats whatever the hell they want and is super fit? Yes. (and I hate that guy)

Point being that dogmatic approach to any nutrition philosophy without closely looking at the effects on each individual person is not a good approach.

"I stay mostly to myself but that's OK, they know me here"
    Fit and healthy are not synonymous.

I'm fit and look healthy on the outside. But feel like I'm falling apart on the inside. After watching that documentary I'm starting to wonder if it has more to do with the food I'm eating (what I thought was healthy) then what I blamed before (the injectables)
    Last edited by S&S_ShovelHead; 06-28-2017 at 08:47 AM.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Fit and healthy are not synonymous.
    I agree. Maybe you can see the intent in the point I was making instead of focusing on the word choice which would seem like a less fruitful endavour!

Thread Information