Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: Is processed food really that bad?

coyote2017 is offline New Member

Is processed food really that bad?

Ok, I know there's going to be some major eye rolling and head shaking at this question, but that's ok. Because of convenience, I tend to use processed food while lifting about half the time. Yes, we would all love to eat a perfect non processed food diet (me included). For example, last night, for my evening meal, I had a carb source that was per serving: 3 gm fat, 35 gm carbs and 5 gr protein. I added some chicken and vegetables and now I have a low fat, medium carb meal with 40 gr of protein. The carb source was a reconstituted mashed potatoes. I add a tablespoon of ketchup and some Tabasco and I was in heaven. Are things like this and say white rice, wheat bread, flour tortillas etc really that bad or harmful to our goals? Protein bars and powder are highly processed and most of us pound them down religiously. Thanks for any input.

hollowedzeus is offline Productive Member
    Obviously not applicable to some people, but look ay the people who eat certain foods. Generally those who eat processed unhealthy foods are fat and unhealthy.

You dont often find morbidly obese people who eat lean meat, veggies, healthy fats and complex carbs

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote2017 View Post
    Ok, I know there's going to be some major eye rolling and head shaking at this question, but that's ok. Because of convenience, I tend to use processed food while lifting about half the time. Yes, we would all love to eat a perfect non processed food diet (me included). For example, last night, for my evening meal, I had a carb source that was per serving: 3 gm fat, 35 gm carbs and 5 gr protein. I added some chicken and vegetables and now I have a low fat, medium carb meal with 40 gr of protein. The carb source was a reconstituted mashed potatoes. I add a tablespoon of ketchup and some Tabasco and I was in heaven. Are things like this and say white rice, wheat bread, flour tortillas etc really that bad or harmful to our goals? Protein bars and powder are highly processed and most of us pound them down religiously. Thanks for any input.
    It's that if taken alone they go too quickly I to the bloodstream and create an insulin spike. Can't remember the name of the doctor but there is one who has written a good book about this and how processed carbs and sugar is the culprit behind most people's cardiovascular issues.

If you remove the brain from flour you miss out on all the micronutrients and fiber. But if you add that back, say ground flaxseeds to bread made with white flour, the net effect is the same as whole grain. I'd guess you can do the same with eating veggies and healthy fats, but... Reconstituted mashed potatoes sounds like leftover potato chunks from garbage bins, made into powder, with some chemical mixed in to make it bind when water is added. LOL

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member

riks is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries
    one should always eat fresh food but due to work conditions i have to take processed food and to add other thing this keeps me in delima how i can be fit then i was told abt maxgar

riks is offline Female Member
    Blog Entries

revive life on this womens day

Use Maxgar for weight loss and change yur life

Please don't post any URLs or contact information. It will be deleted.
    Last edited by almostgone; 03-08-2018 at 10:31 AM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    If you leave food out and it won’t break down in the air. It won’t break down in the gut either.
    cousinmuscles likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Ahhh Daaamn! I guess this means I can't eat at Taco John's or Wendy's after my heavy leg work out. Ha just joking Cous. Thanks for article.

The reason I ask is because I am trying to really dial in my diet. It is the one thing I know I can do better at. I am 51 and have been lifting on and off since I was a teenager. I am bigger and in better shape now than in my whole life. I know diet is the missing link for me. 2 years ago after complaining to my doc about no energy, feeling depressed and getting absolutely nowhere working out, my doc put me on anti depressents, vitamins etc to no avail. I talked him into testing my testo and walah!, I was at 223. Him being a family doctor, knew little about it and kept me on low testo doses (pinning). He finally agreed to up my dosage and strangely enough, I felt worse. Weights in gym went down, no energy, moody and (this is weird), I would tear up watching things on TV. I luckily found a local doc who specializes in hormone replacement. He immediately took a blood test for Estro and the result showed it was at 159, which is extremely high and negating anything the testo was doing. Boom...a prescript for Arimidex and some Vitamin D3 and Im doing better within days! New doc has me at 1500 on the Testo cyp and Estrogen at 39 (normal). Weights in gym go back up and all is good. I'm loving it, but that beer gut is stubborn and I vow to see my abs for the first time in years by summer. So thanks for the advice guys.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riks View Post
    Use Maxgar.net for weight loss and change yur life
    This web page at maxgar.net has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Thread Information