Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 2 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By MACKATTACK

Thread: Effect of Overnight Fasted Exercise on Weight Loss and Body Composition: A Systematic

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Effect of Overnight Fasted Exercise on Weight Loss and Body Composition: A Systematic

Seemed interesting for this population.

Abstract
    It remains unclear whether training in fasted compared to fed states leads to greater weight loss and whether this practice results in beneficial or detrimental changes in body composition. We conducted a systematic review to examine the effect of overnight-fasted versus fed exercise on weight loss and body composition. Seven electronic databases were searched using terms related to fasting and exercise. Inclusion criteria were: randomised and non-randomised comparative studies; published in English; included healthy adults; compared exercise following an overnight fast to exercise in a fed state; used a standardized pre-exercise meal for the fed condition; and measured body mass and/or body composition. A total of five studies were included involving 96 participants. Intra-group analysis for the effect of fasted and fed aerobic exercise revealed trivial to small effect sizes on body mass. The inter-group effect for the interventions on body mass was trivial. Intra-group effects were small for % body fat and trivial for lean mass in females, with trivial effects also found for the inter-groups analyses. Whilst this is the first systematic review and meta-analysis to investigate this topic, caution is warranted when interpreting the findings due to the limited number of studies and hence insufficient data.

Ref: JFMK | Free Full-Text | Effect of Overnight Fasted Exercise on Weight Loss and Body Composition: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about fasted exercise but I do know this if I stop eating around 10:30 p.m. and go to bed at 12 and wake up at 7 and have breakfast I lose more weight than if I was to get up in the middle of the night and eat a casein or cottage cheese protein meal

I feel better and look better when I get that good 7 -9 hour fast in

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Could also be because you weigh yourself when you wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Seemed interesting for this population.

Abstract
    It remains unclear whether training in fasted compared to fed states leads to greater weight loss and whether this practice results in beneficial or detrimental changes in body composition. We conducted a systematic review to examine the effect of overnight-fasted versus fed exercise on weight loss and body composition. Seven electronic databases were searched using terms related to fasting and exercise. Inclusion criteria were: randomised and non-randomised comparative studies; published in English; included healthy adults; compared exercise following an overnight fast to exercise in a fed state; used a standardized pre-exercise meal for the fed condition; and measured body mass and/or body composition. A total of five studies were included involving 96 participants. Intra-group analysis for the effect of fasted and fed aerobic exercise revealed trivial to small effect sizes on body mass. The inter-group effect for the interventions on body mass was trivial. Intra-group effects were small for % body fat and trivial for lean mass in females, with trivial effects also found for the inter-groups analyses. Whilst this is the first systematic review and meta-analysis to investigate this topic, caution is warranted when interpreting the findings due to the limited number of studies and hence insufficient data.

Ref: JFMK | Free Full-Text | Effect of Overnight Fasted Exercise on Weight Loss and Body Composition: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
    Just remember just about all of the studies are without AAS. AAS does change the game.

Obs likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Just remember just about all of the studies are without AAS. AAS does change the game.

Not just about, all...
    Obs and RaginCajun like this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    I have been lifting first thing in the morning in a fasted state for the last 6 months. I love it. Your body does adapt to the change eventually and almost “self charges” itself. All I take is a little caffeine pre workout and that’s about it. I Have grown a solid amount of muscle and lost a good amount of fat.

I have read studies on training in both fed and fasted states and there really isn’t much difference between the two in relation to results in the studies i have read. U would u think fat loss is much greater in fasted but it’s not. I do personally eat my last meal later on about an hour before bed, I have trouble getting them all in so I do think my glycogen storages have enough in them for first thing in the morning lift. I eat steak and sweet potatoe as my last meal before bed.

I have lifted fed for many years and my lifts “might be” “slightly” better fed but I think in this 6 month stint I look better.

Quote Originally Posted by MACKATTACK1 View Post
    I have been lifting first thing in the morning in a fasted state for the last 6 months. I love it. Your body does adapt to the change eventually and almost “self charges” itself. All I take is a little caffeine pre workout and that’s about it. I Have grown a solid amount of muscle and lost a good amount of fat.

I have read studies on training in both fed and fasted states and there really isn’t much difference between the two in relation to results in the studies i have read. U would u think fat loss is much greater in fasted but it’s not. I do personally eat my last meal later on about an hour before bed, I have trouble getting them all in so I do think my glycogen storages have enough in them for first thing in the morning lift. I eat steak and sweet potatoe as my last meal before bed.

I have lifted fed for many years and my lifts “might be” “slightly” better fed but I think in this 6 month stint I look better.
    Well Mack if you really think about it, the majority of the benefit is not while doing the cardio, it is the next 18-24 hours. For every study favoring fasted cardio, there is a study favoring unfasted (or no difference).
    Once again, this is only considering non AAS people.
    AAS does change the story.

**Got my old name Back**

AAS definitely changes the story. The only thing I see that is different and changes your body more and for a longer period during rest is HIIT. That cardio fasted can definitely trigger the metabolism to speed up for 24 to 36 hours......

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why we always say AAS changes the story with the excuse that this is not included in any studies? Obviously, since that is not specifically included (I assume each compound would need its own study) we cannot draw any conclusions in any direction. Exactly why AAS would change the outcome purely on the fact that something is done in a fasted state is not clear to me but I am all ears to learn but I also here assume that anything we learn is actual speculation with the best scenario being someone who has done this study on themselves and is not just guessing.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Not sure why we always say AAS changes the story with the excuse that this is not included in any studies? Obviously, since that is not specifically included (I assume each compound would need its own study) we cannot draw any conclusions in any direction. Exactly why AAS would change the outcome purely on the fact that something is done in a fasted state is not clear to me but I am all ears to learn but I also here assume that anything we learn is actual speculation with the best scenario being someone who has done this study on themselves and is not just guessing.
    What I think about is growth hormone . Although test increases GH secretion I am unsure of the numbers so I have no clue on AAS except it will obviously help maintain muscle.

Growth hormone and insulin are secreted on a pendulum style alternation. Growth hormone increases how much free fatty acids we use from the blood and lots of other fat burning mechanisms. When fasted you are in a much better position to use fat instead of what you just ate for energy. Well on the other hand if you use up your foods energy then you will be in a net deficit later on. But I believe the fasted method will be superior. I have a bunch of links/references to this but it is fairly known what GH does...

A good protocol would be peptides or GH upon waking up, fasted, then cardio, then eat a while after. Eating too soon with peptides will blunt the release and with GH it will cause insulin insensitivity I believe... And sends the wrong signal at the wrong time. Then later on eat regularly but still on a deficit to maximize how much muscle you keep.

The study looks at normal people with normal diets and normal muscle mass et.c. et.c. and is studying the issue from a completely different perspective. For that population obviously calories burned vs consumed will be a bigger factor.

I’ve done this study on myself. Fasted cardio HIIT 6 days a week. The amount of muscle gain to fast loss is increased tremendously. It evens out the playing field with no concern for muscle loss. AAS also makes the body use carbs and proteins better ala not storing as much fat and storing more glycogen in the muscle. THE AAS enables you to go to extremes and maximize your fat loss.
    tarmyg likes this.

Thread Information