Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Charlie67
  • 1 Post By ascendant

Thread: Is The Glycemic Index Over-Rated???

ascendant is offline Senior Member

Is The Glycemic Index Over-Rated???

What do you guys feel about the glycemic index of foods? When the whole GI hype happened years back, I felt it was ridiculously over-hyped, mainly because of protein and fat slowing down the digestion of the carbs anyway. All the research was completely ignoring that and just focusing purely on the carbohydrates by themselves.

I would like to think most of us know enough to always consume a modest amount of protein with each meal. With that in mind, I never really saw any solid research showing how much of an impact it makes in an actual diet when other factors like that are considered.

Has anyone seen any solid research showing that it will really make a difference if you choose brown over white rice, whole grain pasta over regular pasta, yams over red potatoes, etc.?

Charlie67 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant View Post
    I would like to think most of us know enough to always consume a modest amount of protein with each meal.
    Have you met most Americans?

Just kidding. When it comes to the function of why we take carbs, I'm with you, I'm not sure it matters all that much for the majority. Probably post workout I'd stick with white rice, but for the rest of the general meals I'm just not sure it matters. It may make a small difference if you're SO elite that a 1% advantage changes something.

I will say that high GI carbs do raise my blood sugar much quicker, and I feel far less satisfied about an hour after eating. One of the biggest problems with my diet is getting enough fiber in, so I tend to go towards brown rice for that benefit alone.

I heard this but I've never fact checked it, so Google around before you believe it, but I've heard that if you cook a white potato (normally a high GI food), let it cool completely, and then reheat it in the microwave it actually changes the complexity of the starch in such a way that it does not spike blood sugar reheated. Again, do a little research before you believe that. But if it's true it seems to imply the high versus low GI food game is maybe a little bit more subtle than some of that older research implies.

C-
    ascendant likes this.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie67 View Post
    Have you met most Americans?

Just kidding. When it comes to the function of why we take carbs, I'm with you, I'm not sure it matters all that much for the majority. Probably post workout I'd stick with white rice, but for the rest of the general meals I'm just not sure it matters. It may make a small difference if you're SO elite that a 1% advantage changes something.

I will say that high GI carbs do raise my blood sugar much quicker, and I feel far less satisfied about an hour after eating. One of the biggest problems with my diet is getting enough fiber in, so I tend to go towards brown rice for that benefit alone.

I heard this but I've never fact checked it, so Google around before you believe it, but I've heard that if you cook a white potato (normally a high GI food), let it cool completely, and then reheat it in the microwave it actually changes the complexity of the starch in such a way that it does not spike blood sugar reheated. Again, do a little research before you believe that. But if it's true it seems to imply the high versus low GI food game is maybe a little bit more subtle than some of that older research implies.

C-
    Thanks for the info, and I meant "most of us" pertaining to those of us on these forums and generally knowledgeable about nutrition.

As far as Google, I've seen extremely mixed information, but hard to find specific studies where protein and/or fat was mixed with the carbohydrate. And I don't have enough hours in the day as it was. I was hoping to find someone else who has done their due diligence and was able to find something solid on the matter. I appreciate your feedback.
    Charlie67 likes this.

Thread Information