Lesson 1.

Hydrogenation is the process of heating an oil and passing hydrogen bubbles through it. The fatty acids in the oil then aquire some of the hydrogen, which makes it denser. If you fully hydrogenate, you create a solid, however if yo stop part way you create a semi-solid "partially hydrogenated oil" that has the consistancy of butter only MUCH cheaper.

Unlike butter, hydrogenated oils contain high levels of Trans fats. A "trans fat" is an otherwise normal fatty acid that has been negatively altered through high heat processing. Problem is that while the chemically active part is warped, the anchor end is unchaged so the trans fats take position in the cell wall like a fortress guard, only they don't do their job. Trans fats let foreign invaders pass unchallenge and stop supplies like EFA's from entering into the body's cells. So they literally interfere with the metabolic processes of life by taking the place of natural substances that perform critical functions.

The reason these hydrogenated oils are used in so much is because they're CHEAP. Try to buy clean foods and you can expect your food bill to rise. However, it is worth it because you'll feel better, and make better progress.

The point here is to read your lables. We are the health conscience ones who are in quest for a better body, and a healthier more productive life. I for one don't want to sacrifice my health, or the health of my wife and kids because food producers want to make more money. Be educated and, and be healthier!

Peace, DB