oddball182 is offline New Member

Post-workout MEAL question

Ok well next week I am going to be working full-time (just for that week), which means I'll be training around 7pm. I'd like to get to bed around 11-12pm

My schedual around my workout will basically look like this:

-Pre-workout Meal
    -Workout
    -Post-workout Shake (1 Scoop Whey, 60g Dextrose)
    -Post-workout Meal

I tend to gain fat easily, and I like to try not to eat a ot of carbs right before going to bed. I do plan on having my post-workout shake after training, but I was wondering since my post-workout meal would most likely be the last meal of the day, does it still need to contain some carbs since it is the first whole-food meal after training? Or would my usual before-bed meal of cottage-cheese and some EFA's (minimal carbs) be alright?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    It's your pwo meal, and it doesn't matter if it's right before bed. You want high protein and moderate carbs and zero fat. You won't store the carbs a fat because your body will use them to replenish what you used up during your workout.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    Big tex is on the money

margo is offline Female Member
    Ok.. my workout ends at 7pm, is it okay for me to have tried fruits before bed :/, without storing fat??
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

durbin22 is offline Member
    No fruit.

margo is offline Female Member
    What kind of carbs should I have then and why not fruits, like dried fruits?
    Margo
    Train hard - Eat smart

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Unless your in contest prep, fruits/veggies should be a part of your diet. Keep in mind though if your workout is in the evening then it is important that any carbs should be consumed within an hr of training (so your body will utilize them). The glycemic index of carbs can be ignored within the "1 hr. window of opportunity" following a workout.

~US~

Yung Wun is offline Member
    fruit isnt a wise choice for pwo its fructose, this time of sugar restores the depleted liver stores,
    now dextrose on the other hand is a high GI source and is best for replenishing muscle stores.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    It's your pwo meal, and it doesn't matter if it's right before bed. You want high protein and moderate carbs and zero fat. You won't store the carbs a fat because your body will use them to replenish what you used up during your workout.

so do you think like .5 cups (dry) of oatmeal and then some protein ~30 minutes to an hour after the post-workout shake should suffice? and then maybe a couple hours after that just have my p/f meal before bed?

ColdSore is offline Banned
    -postworkout shake should consist of arund 40-50g protien and 75-100g of dextrose....if you dont have dextrose use honey.

-your postworkout meal should be eaten about 1 hour or so after your pwo shake...it should consist of high protien (i like about 70g) and medium carbs if your not bulking (about 30-40)...some sort of green...and no fat at all. A good pwo meal would be 2 chicken breasts 1/2 cup of brown rice or 1/2 cup of oatmeal, and 1-2 cups of brocolli....thats what i eat.

-if your up for to long after your meal then put something else down before yo go to bed like some cottage cheese.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The only thing I kind of disagree with is that I think your PWO meal should be high carb (dextrose), moderate protein ( so it doesn't interfere with glycogen uptake), and no fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickson
    The only thing I kind of disagree with is that I think your PWO meal should be high carb (dextrose), moderate protein ( so it doesn't interfere with glycogen uptake), and no fat.
    yes, and thats what my shake consists of. but im talking about the whole-fod meal after the workout

Ok, I'm 6'2" 240 lbs about 10-11% bf right now just to let you know my stats. My pwo shake consists of 40g of protein, and about 70-80g of dextrose. Now my 2 pwo meals go like this, 1 hour after my pwo shake I eat 2 chicken breasts and 1 cup of white rice. Now about 60-90 minutes after that I eat another 1-2 chicken breasts and 1/2 cup white rice. Now this works for me and may not work for you. So for now just stick withj 1 pwo meal, keep it protein and carbs only no fat. I recommend 2 chicken breast and 1 cup white or brown rice for it. I hope this helps, if you have any other question feels free to pm me or which ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Ok, I'm 6'2" 240 lbs about 10-11% bf right now just to let you know my stats. My pwo shake consists of 40g of protein, and about 70-80g of dextrose. Now my 2 pwo meals go like this, 1 hour after my pwo shake I eat 2 chicken breasts and 1 cup of white rice. Now about 60-90 minutes after that I eat another 1-2 chicken breasts and 1/2 cup white rice. Now this works for me and may not work for you. So for now just stick withj 1 pwo meal, keep it protein and carbs only no fat. I recommend 2 chicken breast and 1 cup white or brown rice for it. I hope this helps, if you have any other question feels free to pm me or which ever.
    so even though i'll be going to bed soon after the post-workout meal, the importance of post-workout nutrition out-ways all of the theories of "tapering-off carbs before bed"?

Yes. Don't think I have to stop eating carbs or whatever else at a set time of day. You have to look at your activities, rather than anything else. Now if you workout at 3pm than yes stop eating carbs a few hours after and certainly don't eat any before bed. But if you're like me and workout late at night, than you have your pwo shake, pwo meal and go to bed. Trust me, as long as you recently worked out your body will use up all the nutrients from the meal and nothing will be stored as fat.

Thread Information