Thread: To Much Tuna???

ColdSore is offline Banned

To Much Tuna???

Ok Bro's im looking for some opinions here...especially Doc M's and any others that are in the medical profession.

Ive been eating AT LEAST 6 cans of tuna a day during my current cycle. I do trim it back on saturdays and sundays but ussually polish off around 30 cans a week. I do get plenty of other protien from other sources so there no need to bother telling me to "eat chicken, beef ect, ect".

Ive also been eating alot of tuna for the last 2 years...like around 3-4 cans a day.

What im asking is do you think this has put my health at risk with mercury poisioning??? Or do you even think i should waste my time to have a test run.

Im kind of at the "fuck it" stage right now where i really dont worry to much, but i get nagged about it everyday and now im starting to wonder.

What do you guys think

99si is offline Junior Member
    Honeslty, it's really hard to say about how the mercury is effecting your body. 6 cans of tuna per day? How much do you weigh?

BDTR is offline Retired
    ive been eating 8 cans a day and i'm still kickin'.

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    6 cans a day isn't a good idea, too much of anything is a bad idea.. but i wouldnt worry too much.. find other sources of protein.. eggs.. lean meat.. other fish.. canned salmon.. cook a bunch of chicken breasts and then u can just warm them up real quick the following couple days.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I have to say 6 cans a day and yes you'll need to worry about mercury poisoning. I know a guy that used to eat alot of fish, and the larger kind to like salmon, tuna etc. Well after just a year or two he started losing weight, getting sick and his hair started falling out in clumps which was discovered to be from mercury poisoning. there are so many other protein sources out there, don't limit yourself to just one source. You should be getting several different protein sources a day.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Hey bro I feel your pain! I would usually eat several cans of tuna (big 10oz cans) a day, but I started to add the canned chicken also. I went to Target and saw it for $1.75 a can! WTF! I was paying like 3.30 a can! Anyways, I think I'm lucky, my brother in law is the GD Gorton's Fisherman! So I get fresh fish all the time, so I cook it and eat through out the day. He'll get a big 30+ pound stripper and I'll get 4 big steaks out of the 1 side of it. I'd say try to get fresh fish and cook it ahead of time. Or good ole Chicken!

SID

Hey Rip, even that fresh fish your eating all the time most likely contains high amounts of mercury. I'd get checked regulary for mercury levels if you eat alot of fish just to be safe.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Hey Rip, even that fresh fish your eating all the time most likely contains high amounts of mercury. I'd get checked regulary for mercury levels if you eat alot of fish just to be safe.
    You know bro. I know when Shawn guts the fish it's usually not very oily nor does it have the mercury balls in it. The risk is definately there though and that's pretty sad...

SID

Thats the thing guys...i dont limit my protein sources to just tuna...im on cycle right now so heres what i consume in a normal day:
    6 cans of tuna
    3-4 chicken breasts
    1 to 1.5 pounds of cottage cheese
    2 turkey patties
    10 egg whites in the morning for breakfast

so its not like i dont eat anything else...i did cut my tuna back to 4 cans this week b/c i felt like i was getting enough protien, and wanted to save the extra cals for carbs.

99si....im weighing about 207 right now...im up 21 pounds since i started this cycle.

BT...nothing bad like your friend has happened to me yet...ive been eating tons of tuna for like the last 2 years and have never felt bad.

Coldstone, just be carefull and if you do keep eating like 6 cans a day, get your mercury levels checked regularly.... I'd hate to see anything happen to ya. Especially since you're bulking why not throw some beef in there? I try to at least get 1 helping of red meat a day while bulking and at least 3-4 servings a week when dieting.

BT...i do throw in a lean steak at least once week or some ground burger...i also treat myself to a big ass steak on saturday nights...so i get beef, but yeah im planning on tossing some of the tuna.

I have to say 6 cans a day and yes you'll need to worry about mercury poisoning. I know a guy that used to eat alot of fish, and the larger kind to like salmon, tuna etc. Well after just a year or two he started losing weight, getting sick and his hair started falling out in clumps which was discovered to be from mercury poisoning. there are so many other protein sources out there, don't limit yourself to just one source. You should be getting several different protein sources a day.

is the guy all right now? do you know how much cans he was eating?

I'm not usre how many he was eating, but he quit eating fish except once every few weeks and he's fully recovered now.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    wtf, i'm eating 6 cans of tuna a day also. i thought it was super healthy...now i gotta worry about mercury poisoning? doh...=/

-- cb

Hey clock.... too much of anything can't be good for ya.

Hey clock.... too much of anything can't be good for ya.
    i thought that was just a saying to make people drink less or something...=)

i'm poor...and still in college...tuna is cheap and easy! its not my >only< source of protein. i get protein from 2 sources: whey and tuna. is only 2 protein sources too few still ya think?

-- cb

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    i thought that was just a saying to make people drink less or something...=)

i'm poor...and still in college...tuna is cheap and easy! its not my >only< source of protein. i get protein from 2 sources: whey and tuna. is only 2 protein sources too few still ya think?

-- cb

ever heard of eggs? they're real cheap.. and the best source of protein.. skinless chicken breasts also very cheap

Quote Originally Posted by HiFi
    ever heard of eggs? they're real cheap.. and the best source of protein.. skinless chicken breasts also very cheap
    eggs are not portable and chicken boobs can't compare to 44 cents a can.

i used to eat one chicken boob, one steak, one hamburger patty, and one can of tuna a day. now i eat 6 cans of tuna a day for finantial reasons as well as because its easy and portable. preparing that food is a pain in the ass, and i got sick of doing it every 3 days.

-- cb

Well ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Butr I would cut back on the tuna a bit and use another source. At least go and get checked occasionally for mercury levels in your blood.

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    It may be a little excessive.....Im not sure how much tuna would cause a mercury problem.

On a side note....I saw on the news that they are doing more health studies on salmon due to the hype of the good fats in it. They said that they are also finding that there may be a higher concentration of cancer causing substances in salmon. I never liked salmon anyways!

rxarms is offline Associate Member
    Canned Salmon, canned sardines, shrimp, crab, lobster, when money is not an issue.

Thread Information