Link910 is offline New Member

post workout question

I am confused about what to do after my workouts. I usually just have whey protein shake about 50 grams, low carbs in the shake. How important is it to take sugars in for the "spike" and what about carbs? What is the best thing to do/take?

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Simple sugars are VERY important. It causes an insulin spike. Insulin is derived from the pancreas (or those little bottes of humalog ). Anyway, insulin forces nutrients into your bloodstream, which is then carried to your muscles. Depending what you are trying to accomplish is what your post workout shake should have. Bulking shakes can consist of 100+ carbs, where as cutting shakes are usually 50g carbs or less. Good luck.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what brand of protien you are taking. When the protien drinks have carbs, its generally because they are adding sugar, in the form of sucrose or fructose (both of which are essentially the same from a chemical breakdown). A couple brands are much lower than others. I found that Designer has 1-2 grams of carb per scoop each of which has 25 mg of protein.

I personaaly do not see a benefit to ingesting sugar as a post workout drink unless you really like a little extra body fat to keep you warm in the winter.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Post-workout adaptogenic/recovery formula

Scientific research shows us that the period immediately following training may be the most important time for potentiating the results. This is the key time to intercept the result-limiting anticatabolic processes initiated by your intense workouts.

Post-workout nutrition is all about precision; too much protein and you will induce metabolic acidosis, thereby blunting any anabolic response and elevating catabolic hormones. If too "complex" a source of protein is used, synthesis will not be fast enough to make the difference. Therefore we need faster acting sources of carbs and protein.

I personnally recommend about 50g of high glycemic carbohydrates, they create the necessary insulin spike to deal with the catabolic hormone, cortisol. Also you will require easily absorbed protein, namely di and tripeptide amino acids, which will rapidly restore positive nitrogen balance. High concentrations of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) replenish a depleted amino acid pool and delay fatigue between regular bouts of exertion.

Antioxidants act to limit the muscle damage induced by post-workout free radicals.

Also less heard of the use adaptogenic herbs Rhodiola rosea and Ginkgo biloba these have been commonly employed by soviet coaches to lower the systemic stress of high training workloads in Olympic athletes.

So in summary:

Di and tripeptides for rapid delivery.
    High in BCAAs.
    High glycemic carbs.
    Eastern bloc adaptogens.
    Antioxidants.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Good post Al. In addition, I dug up the following:

The timing of an insulin spike is just as crucial as the dosage for maximum muscle growth. Timing can make the difference between having muscles that look rock hard and muscles that look round, flat and undefined. The best time to create a quick insulin spike is immediately after your workout because this is when your muscles are starving for glucose and other important nutrients.
    Not only is insulin extremely anabolic (muscle-building), but it is also anticatabolic (muscle-saving). A recent study suggests that insulin can suppress protein degradation by stimulating cellular hydration.

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    I agree totally with you guys...for me its a roll of sweetarts on my way out of the gym and when I get home its a protein shake with glutamine, G=C, and some flax!!!!

thats 50g of malto/dextrse
    50g of whey protein
    5 g glutamine
    14 g flax fat
    G=C for my joints!!!!

any suggestions???

gorilla

superbeast is offline Member

Some notes

Fructose and glucose are not the same! Fructose does not cause nearly the same insulin spike as glucose. A good portion of fructose is actually turned to fat in the liver rather than released as glycogen. I can explain in detail if needed.

If you are using simple sugars for post workout, it is imperative that you eat again about an hour later. Since simple sugars are used so rapidly, blood sugar levels drop below normal after 1-2 hours, actually causing a catabolic state.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Thanks for the back guys.

bigreb is offline Associate Member

I'm more convinced I'm a dumbass

Sometimes you guys speak russian to me. I know its me i'm still dealing w/info overload from constant reading and research. Anyway can someone give me some specific advise on a postworkout shake(brandname ect), or anything else. Thanks for all the help. By the way, 1st cycle 38 192(gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks so far) 6". sust deca d-bol, wanting to get big!!!!

BigWill is offline Junior Member

Re: I'm more convinced I'm a dumbass

Originally posted by bigreb
    Sometimes you guys speak russian to me. I know its me i'm still dealing w/info overload from constant reading and research. Anyway can someone give me some specific advise on a postworkout shake(brandname ect), or anything else. Thanks for all the help. By the way, 1st cycle 38 192(gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks so far) 6". sust deca d-bol, wanting to get big!!!!
    After your workout, use a fast acting protein (hydrolyzed) such as AST's VP2 or Protein Factory 520.

2-3 scoops of powder in 12 oz water.
    50-100 grams of PowerAde (or dextrose)
    Drink IMMEDIATELY after workout.

1 hour later eat a good solid meal.

If you are on a no carb diet, then skip the dextrose.
    You should also consume a protein/carb shake just before your workout.

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    not necessarily sugars (maltodextrin is a complex carb) but high glyecemic carbs are crucial for post workout nutrition.

50grams of dextrose
    50grams of maltodextrin
    50grams of hydrolyzed protein

BTW fats would lower the glycemic level of the meal so IMO it shouldn't be used post workout but rather an hour or so after your post workout meal.

I like to go to www.proteinfactory.com and make my own formula (the one above) It costs a little over $6 per pound.

Thread Information