BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member

Help: Before bed meals?

I usually workout at night and go to bed within 2 hours of working out.

I usually get some simple carbs in me just after the work out...so knowing that I eat carbs just after my workout, what would you suggest that I take as a before bed meal? A protein shake, or a large 600-700 calorie meal?

rambo is offline The Lord God
    If you have the time, I think most would recommend you getting some real food, it'll digest slower. If you take a shake make sure try and get something with MCTs to slow the digestion. But nothing beats real food.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I do the same on occasion, regardless of the time, my first post workout meal is always 50 whey protien, 75 grams dextrose and my next meal is protien (chicken or fish) + brown rice with no fat.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    well if ur cutting don't eat carbs before bed, just gulp down a extra big protein shake to get you through the night. When bulking i'll eat some oatmeal and a small shake.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I disagree, bulking or cutting carbs for the first two meals after working out are essential to replenish glycogen levels. In moderate amounts and in the absence of fat with the meals along with some r-ala it should prevent it being stored as fat.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    if your worried bout fat gain, dont be. i'd shift toward a real meal.
    bodybuilding fitness forums hype muscle bodybuilders
    Last edited by Yung Wun; 08-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    BDTR has a point the pwo meal and the post pwo meal are essential in glycogen loading, even an hour after the pwo shake your body will utilize the carbs and they wont be stored as fat.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I disagree, bulking or cutting carbs for the first two meals after working out are essential to replenish glycogen levels. In moderate amounts and in the absence of fat with the meals along with some r-ala it should prevent it being stored as fat.
    Right......... The second meal after the workout should consist of more non-impact carbs if eatting right before bed.

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    I would never work out without downing a PWO shake, then eating a PPWO meal an hour later!

Even if it's late sometimes and I have to eat right before bed, I'll still eat 2 chicken breasts, 2 Yams, a cup of veggies and a tablespoon of natty PB.

But my last meal before bed is usually 2 hours after my PPWO meal and it's 2 scoops of whey isolate and a slice of rye bread with PB smeared on top. Mmmmmm!

Thread Information