Non workout days

When should I eat my carbs on non workout days. ON workout days I eat them before and after my weight lifting session.

I workout at night after work, so on the days I don't workout, I would be eating carbs at the end of my day if I kept my eating schedule the same.

So, I think what I want to do is eat my carbs after my fisrt meal, 2nd meal of the day, and my 3rd meal of the day. THis would be when I am most active and would have the most chance of burning off what I don't use.

Does this make sense?

I eat 1 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of oatmeal a day.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Yes on non-workout days keep your carbs earlier in the day. I myself lower my carb intake on non-training days, and keep them to my first meal and again mid-day to early afternoon. It actually all depends on when your active during the day. Plan them around your physical activities for the day and you'll be fine.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    ditto to big texan.

i do p/c earlier in the day and then p/f later in the day

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Yes on non-workout days keep your carbs earlier in the day. I myself lower my carb intake on non-training days, and keep them to my first meal and again mid-day to early afternoon. It actually all depends on when your active during the day. Plan them around your physical activities for the day and you'll be fine.
    Well, I do cardio first thing in the morning so I wouldn't want to eat carbs in after I do cardio. My carbs consist of 1 cup of oatmeal and 1 cup of brown rice on workout days. On non workout days, I cut them to 1/2 cup of each.

So, I guess my next question would be this>> I eat a P/C meal, insulin levels rise. How long till they drop again and it is safe to eat P/F? The standard 2-3 hours?

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    hm, so i shouldnt eat carbs after cardio on an empty stomach even if i wait a half hour?

I wouldn't/don't

I would eat a moderate car high protein meal after cardio. It won't hurt, your metaolism will still be high from the cardio and your body won't store the carbs, it will use them up. After any physical training you do not want to eat a meal consisting of any fat. You want a moderate to high carb and high protein meal.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    I would eat a moderate car high protein meal after cardio. It won't hurt, your metaolism will still be high from the cardio and your body won't store the carbs, it will use them up. After any physical training you do not want to eat a meal consisting of any fat. You want a moderate to high carb and high protein meal.

I thought that cardio does not deplete your glycogen stores?

And, carbs raise your insulin , and insulin lowers the affect of fat burning.

And eating fat in the first meal after cardio will let your body know that it does not need to store fat, because it is getting fat?

I know it is important to eat carbs pre/post workout, but after cardio?

Bump

Where did everyone go?

cardio does deplete your stores that's why you start burning the fat. You never want to eat fat after cardio or a wrokout. Always a carb/ protein meal, usually high in both. It won't affect your body from burning fat because your metabolism will still be racing for most of the day.

O.k., Why don't you want to eat fat after cardio?

HiFi is offline Associate Member
    same reason u dont eat fat in post workout meal.

And why is that?

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    isnt cardio working out? answer: yes

Thread Information