rissinite is offline Associate Member

Non Impact/ Net Carbs and Ketosis

Somebody with some knowledge on this subject, please put the nonsense to rest. Here's my question. All of these low carb bars these day are advertising the "net carb" factors. For example, if a low carb bar has 20 carbs in it, it can still be considered low carb b/c it only has 2 net carbs. My question is, if I'm looking to maintain a state of ketosis, and I eat one of these bars w/ 20 carbs (only 2 net), am I going to knock myself out of ketosis? Everyone seems to have a different idea, and I'd definitley be interested in a "true" answer. Thanks guys.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    rissinite, I've been doing low carb dieting for a while now so I'll give you my take on it. From my experiance I stay in Ketosis when eating low carb protein bars however I generally eat no more than two a day. Best thing to do is once in a state of ketosis is to have eat a bar and test the next day to see how it works for you. My guess is you'll still be in ketosis. How many carbs do you take in a day?

rissinite is offline Associate Member
    10-15 carbs per day. I don't have a way to test whether I'm in ketosis, I've been doing it for a while, and can tell whether I'm in it by the taste in my mouth when I wake up in the morning. I do have low carb bars with only 3 total carbs in them, but my question was pertaining more to these new "low carb" bars with only 2 or 3 "impact or net" carbs, although they do show somewhere between 20-25 total carbs.

The other carbs, the ones they don't count, are made up of fiber and acholchol sugar both of which do not count towards carb totals. Keep in mind a gram of fiber subtracts from one gram of carb. You can get test strips from the drug store which can tell you if you are in ketosis. look in the diet section. How long will you maintain the 10-15 grams of carbs per day?

someday is offline Member
    I've never heard of these strips before...wheres a good place to start lookin...just started a lower carb diet.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Regardless of the fact that these carbs are made of sugar alcohols, the prominent aspect in their convenience is that they have a negligible impact on blood sugar levels. That is benefecial to those on carb restrictive diets, but they are carbohydrates nonetheless, meaning they are absorbed over time. So in essence, enough of those bars will most likely knock you out of ketosis.

Rambo you're right, hence the reason I keep from eating more than two a day but everyone's body reacts differently.

Someday, try Eckerd’s, Vitamin Shoppe, Wal-Mart or any drug store, they all carry them.

Thread Information