Nixter is offline Associate Member

Protein rich snacks

Hey all, I'd like to start a thread here where people could list some of their favorite protein-rich snacks. I have no trouble planning meals but when it comes to snacks I draw blanks or at least get bored with my usual. I'm trying to eat a lot of cals and especially protein, So.. What are your favorite, no preparation or easy prep, protein rich snacks? I'm looking for emphasis on "easy"

Mine are...
    Cottage cheese and sliced pears. (this one is my limit for prep time)
    Low sodium beef jerky
    Packages of imitation lobster meat (yep, i'm weird)
    Protein shakes (duh)

Thanks guys,,

Nixter

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    bagels with goober grape. Yogurt. YUMMY!

Goober grape? Is that the PB/Jelly mix stuff? Ok, let me clarify... snacks that are MOSTLY protein instead of fat or carbs.

Nixter.

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixter
    Goober grape? Is that the PB/Jelly mix stuff? Ok, let me clarify... snacks that are MOSTLY protein instead of fat or carbs.

Nixter.
    I forgot to add my 1 cup of vegatible oil I drink with that ........J/K Oh ya I tend to forget that most people want lean foods on here. But when you are only 160 with 8% bf, like myself, You just eat anything you can get your hands on. Some of the other posts say they put ham or eggs on theres, still tasty, and healthier.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    2 scoops of any flavored protein, a 1/4 cup of oatmeal, 2 cups of water

10 egg whites, 3 packets of sweetner, add sugar free choclate pudding mix untill desired taste, and whip until they become stiff. Bake until top of the eggs get brown at 350 degrees
    Last edited by TheMudMan; 08-08-2003 at 06:49 AM.

I snack a lot of tin cans of seasoned boneless herring. (yes herring!) I find the taste much less objectionable than tuna

And since it comes in many seasoning flavors... it's actually pretty good.

Red

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Red.... man you are nasty! Herring.....yuck.....

jollyroger is offline New Member
    Smoked salmon and pickled eggs. Yuuummmm!

hybrid is offline Member
    Homemade beef jerky. Buy a 5 pound lean roast for a couple bucks a pound on sale. Marinate it overnight. Dehydrate it and voila, cheap meat that is low in fat and high in protein and travels well. Just throw some in a baggy and take it with you.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    hard boiled eggs, tuna out of the can, almonds (high in efa's too),

mass junkie is offline banned
    I love imitation crab meat and Cottage cheese seperate times of course

Have you tried the imitaion lobster? I find it's less *fake* tasting than the crab.

Nixter.

mass junkie is offline banned
    you Know I actually did buy some a couple of days ago along with my crab.......just havent tried it yet.............but ill let you know tomorrow

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I'm cutting so you guys are killing me..................I'm dieing for a damn peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat w/a tablespoon or two of honey. Sweet mother Mary I just got drool all over my damn keyboard. HA

I love beef (I'm referring to the cow for you pervs) so I'll buy a large roast (London broil or 7 bone roast) sear it in a pan on all sides for a minute or so on each side, put it in a Dutch Oven, pour a 12oz coke over it and put it in a 350 degree oven and cook it for an hour or so. After it cools I cut it up into portions and throw it in the fridge, When I get hungry I toss some in the microwave and have at it. The acid of the coke dissolves the fat and makes the toughest meat fall apart.

bedrocked is offline Junior Member
    wow cottage cheese and imitation crab/lobster sounds good. i'd add some green onions to the mix and a dash of low so soy sauce and you have crab rangoon filling sorta (cottage cheese instead of cream cheese).

i use to eat beef jerkey post workout but i ended up eating the entire bag

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Nuts

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G Child
    Nuts
    You make it too damn easy I just can't do it too ya.

I really don't snack when I'm being good. I just bite the head off my wife and kids. I really turn in to a total ass when I'm dieting. I've got some stacker 2's coming from ASN too so I'll really be turning into a a-hole soon.

Some good ideas for those of you who have the luxuries of being able to snack: jumbo shrimp, low carb protein bars, turkey lunch meat(just be aware it will make you a little lazy), canned chicken or tuna, and hardboiled eggs are great.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    sup brothers i got this from askmen.com looked good to me might help you guys

Egg-white omelet with low-fat ham and veggies

What you need:
    4 egg whites
    4 slices low-fat ham, diced
    ¼ cup low-fat milk
    ½ tsp black pepper
    1 cup chopped peppers, red onions, mushrooms
    fat-free cooking spray
    What to do:
    Thoroughly coat a medium frying pan with cooking spray, and put it on medium heat on the stove. Cook chopped vegetables in pan until softened (about 6 minutes). In bowl, whisk egg whites, ham, milk, and pepper, until blended. Pour into frying pan, over veggies and cook until set (about 6 minutes).
    Tip:
    Use a spatula to lift the edges of the omelet slightly as it cooks, to let the uncooked portions run into the bottom of the pan, and cook.

Grilled chicken breast with lemon and pepper, and grilled veggies

What you need:
    oz chicken breast
    1 tsp olive oil
    juice of ½ lemon, or 1 lemon
    ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
    ½ tsp salt, or to taste
    2 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
    1 ½ cups big chunks of red pepper, red onion, and asparagus
    What to do:
    In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, pepper, salt, and parsley. Using a basting brush, baste the chicken with the marinade and let sit, covered, at room temperature, for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, fire up the grill to medium-high heat. Wash the brush, as to avoid spreading bacteria, and use it to baste the vegetables with the remaining marinade. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for about 7 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Place the vegetables on the other side of the grill, and cook until softened.

Tuna salad

What you need:
    1 can flaked, water-packed tuna, drained
    4 or 5 leaves Boston lettuce
    1 cup lightly steamed green beans
    1 hard boiled egg, cut in quarters
    3 or 4 slices of red onion
    3 or 4 black olives, such as Kalamata
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Olive oil and red wine vinegar to taste
    What to do:
    Arrange lettuce leaves on a plate, mound the tuna in the center of the plate, and surround it with the green beans, onions, olives, and egg. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar (try not to exceed a teaspoon of olive oil -- although the fat it contains is the Omega-3, or "good fat" variety, it is fat nonetheless).

Cottage cheese and fruit salad

What you need:
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 ½ cups of your favorite fruits
    What to do:
    This one's pretty self-explanatory: Place the cottage cheese in a small bowl, place fruits on a small plate and enjoy.

Shrimp cocktail and tomato juice

What you need:

6 cooked jumbo shrimp
    ¼ cup shrimp cocktail sauce
    Lemon wedge
    1 cup tomato juice
    What to do:
    Just arrange shrimp on a plate, and squeeze lemon juice onto them. Serve with cocktail sauce and tomato juice.
    Whole grain roll with sliced turkey breast, tomato and low-fat cheese

What you need:

1 medium whole grain roll
    4 slices smoked turkey breast
    2 slices tomato
    1 slice low-fat cheese
    Dijon mustard to taste
    What to do:
    Turn the broiler on high. Slice roll down the middle, and spread mustard onto one side. Place turkey slices on top of mustard side, and top with tomatoes, and cheese. Place both halves under the broiler for about five minutes, or until cheese melts. "Close" the sandwich and enjoy.

Plain yogurt and granola
    What you need:

1 cup low-fat, plain yogurt
    ½ cup low-fat granola
    What to do:
    Mix yogurt and granola in a bowl and enjoy.

Grilled salmon filet and salad

What you need:

6 oz salmon filet
    ½ lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 ½ cups lettuce
    1 cup vegetables, such as chopped tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, celery, peppers, etc.
    low-fat dressing of your choice
    What to do:
    Fire up the grill. Squeeze lemon juice over salmon, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place salmon skin-side down on the grill and cook for about 6 minutes, or until flaky. Do not overcook. Serve with salad.

Grilled filet mignon and steamed veggies

What you need:

6 oz filet mignon
    Steak spices optional
    1 ½ cups cut vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.
    Shredded Parmesan cheese to taste
    What to do:
    Fire up the grill. Sprinkle filet mignon with steak spices if using and place on the grill. Cook to desired doneness (3-4 minutes on each side for medium). Meanwhile, place vegetables in a microwave-safe container, with a tiny bit of water, and cover loosely. Microwave on "high" until tender (approx 4 minutes). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Chicken and shrimp stir-fry with cashews, oriental veggies and ginger

What you need:
    5 oz chicken breast cut into thin strips
    3 oz uncooked, deveined and peeled large shrimp
    1 tsp chopped ginger, or to taste
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 tsp sesame oil
    2 shallots, chopped
    1 cup "oriental" vegetables, such as snow peas, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, red pepper, etc.
    low-fat bottled stir-fry sauce
    Optional: 2 tbsp cashews (ups the fat content, but it is the "good" kind of fat, and it's damn tasty!)
    What to do:
    Heat oil in pan, add shallots, ginger and garlic, and cook for 1 minute over medium heat. Add chicken to pan and cook until no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Add shrimp and cook until they turn opaque (about 2 minutes). Add vegetables and sauce. Stir-fry until tender (about 3 minutes). Sprinkle with cashews if using.

watch what you eat

That's all for this week's list. I hope you find these recipes as easy to prepare and convenient as I do. I realize that they aren't ribs and wings, but if you want to start eating healthy, you might want to consider incorporating these into your diet. Besides, if you cook one of them up for you and your lady, she'll surely be impressed.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Quote Originally Posted by RON
    You make it too damn easy I just can't do it too ya.
    What? What do you mean? I said nuts, remember you were telling me the other day on how you like nuts? You were going on and on about how salty nuts were your favorite and you just loved rolling the nuts around in your mouth and the way the nuts felt?

It was just a weird conversation, you're so crazy!

ross3814 is offline Member
    wendys 99 cent small chili. 21 grams of protein. pretty decent.

Thread Information